My Blood Is Blue

Zenit St Petersburg 3 Chelsea 3

41 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I think you meant Kovacic... who having trained yesterday with a smile on his face (according to TT), has now tested positive for Covid and is isolating.

Kante counts as 2 players.

But yeah, I did mean Kovacic.

bert19   

Lets see how much of the mainstream press mention our injury issues and the fixture congestion over the coming days.  I mean, it was really a big thing for Liverpool last year when Pickford assassinated VVD on the pitch, so presuming we'll get the same sympathy and excuse-making? 🙄

Guessing with the 10 day isolation, Kovacic will be available for Wolves on 19/12? And that's if he's fine and not actually ill from the Covid? 

Jorgi sitting out midweek is a good thing and Trev should hopefully be back soon.  But this little patch is brutal with both the injuries and the fixture congestion.  We seem to be being massively short-changed with the scheduling too.  Late sunday, away Wednesday and early KO on Saturday last week.  Away to Russia Wednesday and as early as possible KO on Saturday to follow. Doesn't quite seem fair. I'm glad Tuchel at least referenced it in the press conference today. 

VA96   
11 minutes ago, bert19 said:

Guessing with the 10 day isolation, Kovacic will be available for Wolves on 19/12? And that's if he's fine and not actually ill from the Covid? 

Yep - I think the first round of weekly testing (2 rounds per week) was today so now he is subject to 10 days self-isolation. Question is if he'll be fit enough to play a part on the 19th being away from the group etc. for 10 days 

We're at a point of ruthless prioritising, and this game simply is not as important as Leeds on Saturday. We are one the frontrunners in the CL and will need to play bigger sides in time to progress anyway, so more dropped PL points is very clearly the bigger risk. Don't throw good money after bad, imo; play whoever it is who isn't more desperately needed for Saturday. It will be a disaster if Kepa, Sarr, Barkley and even Saul (as useless as he is) don't start.

• Thanks 1

asvaberg   
12 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

We're at a point of ruthless prioritising, and this game simply is not as important as Leeds on Saturday. We are one the frontrunners in the CL and will need to play bigger sides in time to progress anyway, so more dropped PL points is very clearly the bigger risk. Don't throw good money after bad, imo; play whoever it is who isn't more desperately needed for Saturday. It will be a disaster if Kepa, Sarr, Barkley and even Saul (as useless as he is) don't start.

I fully understand you point, but let's look at the possible CL opponents in the round of 16:

Win tonight: PSG, Atletico Madrid, Sporting Lisbon, Inter Milan, Barcelona/Benfica, Villarreal/Atalanta, anyone group G

Draw/lose(Juve win):   Ajax, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, anyone group G

hmmmmmm.............

2 hours ago, asvaberg said:

I fully understand you point, but let's look at the possible CL opponents in the round of 16:

Win tonight: PSG, Atletico Madrid, Sporting Lisbon, Inter Milan, Barcelona/Benfica, Villarreal/Atalanta, anyone group G

Draw/lose(Juve win):   Ajax, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, anyone group G

hmmmmmm.............

I don't see much difference between those two sets of teams, tbh. Each has one very strong, elite team (PSG and Bayern) and then good teams any bookie would make us favourites against. I'd probably rather play Ajax or Real Madrid than I would Atletico or Inter. Of all the teams you mention, who are the ones you wouldn't make us favourites against? Who are the ones you might begrudgingly accept going out to? 

But not winning on Saturday puts us multiple results behind two very strong, elite teams.

I don't think it's even slightly tricky to prioritise.

Bison   

Hopefully the pitch isn't as bad as what the U19s had to play on this morning in the Youth Champions League.