My Blood Is Blue

Chelsea 3 Leeds United 2

Had to work late today so I didn't see any of the game, but it sounds like we were a bit lucky to get the 3 points.

If we are being honest, apart from a couple of weeks around the time we beat Leicester and Juve, we haven't looked like anything like title winners. The majority of this season has been pretty much the same level as last season under TT with a few players having a run of excellent performances. 

Overall, we still  look a team that'll finish between 3rd - 5th. 

chara   

Lot of discussion (?) elsewhere regarding the "Old Chelsea/Leeds....comparisons etc........as a true veteran of the Chelsea/Leeds Feud.....the 70's Chelsea would have trampled the present Leeds into the ground...and 70's Leeds would have rumbled right over our present Chelsea with a few tears from many a present player on both sides!

A Saturday of penalties all morning.....the three at SB all justified if watched without blue/white glasses...and at Anfield...at Norwich somewhat iffy....and Citeh farcical..

I am not a good cold analyser of games and really go by gut feeklings (typo but seems a good word for it!)watching the ebb and flow...commented to myself at 0-0...if we can get one we can get four but the getting of one is the hard part..... felt first pen was somewhat against the run of play and obviously gave Leeds a boost at the right time but when all is said and done three points and many a game over the season is won by Chelsea and the rest by such small twists in a game.

1 hour ago, didierforever said:

It's not something against us. Last year Liverpool were missing half their team and were still given no respite. 

Also, we don't have an injury crisis. We are missing 2 players in ng and Ben who would have started. That should not "ideally" make us so much worse. 

But we’re also missing the backup to Kante, Kovacic and both Chilwell and Kante are crucial to how we play, so a drop off in form isn’t that much of a shock. Injury crisis may be too strong but it’s been a bad run of luck in terms of injuries, no doubt about it.

Losing either of James or Chilwell when we did was always going to have a big impact, they had become crucial to how we were playing when we were fully firing, but without one of them it limits the impact the other can make.

First game I've been to for a while due to a combination of moving quite far, cost, and covid. Quite a game to return to!

Anyway, I thought we were really poor. Leeds ran us ragged in the second half. They just don't stop running. I can't believe they'll keep that up for the season surely?

Poor decision making again going forward. Final balls were all over the place, and defensively we just looked weak. 

Probably my biggest concern was RLC. Horrible passing, gave the ball away and often left us exposed. We really need Kante and Kovocic back.

A major positive for me was Reece James. Its been so long since I've seen him play live I forgot how big he is. Plus he's not a bad footballer! In fact I'm pretty sure you could play him as a box to box midfielder and get similar results.

The atmosphere in the Shed was amazing. Really enjoyed it. 

Thrilled to see a win,  unconvincing as it was. 

chara   
3 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

Thrilled to see a win,  unconvincing as it was. 

Amen to that...BUT a magnificent win is the same three points....a lucky win is the same  three points....a glorious honourable defeat is nowt.....which would we all choose?

Envy your attendance...glad you enjoyed it...so much more to the game than results.

24 minutes ago, chara said:

Amen to that...BUT a magnificent win is the same three points....a lucky win is the same  three points....a glorious honourable defeat is nowt.....which would we all choose?

Envy your attendance...glad you enjoyed it...so much more to the game than results.

Absolutely would take the lucky wins. You win silverware with lucky wins, providing you don't rely solely on it. 

Loved being back at the Bridge. Don't think much could have dampened my spirits as I was so happy to be back. Hope you can go soon too!

chara   
10 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

Absolutely would take the lucky wins. You win silverware with lucky wins, providing you don't rely solely on it. 

Loved being back at the Bridge. Don't think much could have dampened my spirits as I was so happy to be back. Hope you can go soon too!

As you say ...providing you don't rely on them!

Guess it will be a long while, if ever, before I get to return to the Bridge......but thanks for the thought.

Great result - which right now is probably the most important thing we needed.   Fell behind and won which is important.
Also a fantastic watch, doubly so because we won with that fun and games at the end.  great.

Play wasn't quite so great but it is important to recall that xG was 2.75 - 1.73, 58% possession, 6 shots on target to 5.  We were genuinely the better side, if not so much that a win was inevitable.

Jorginho looks fit.  
Havertz looks much stronger than he did a year ago, he is 22.  It takes time to be strong enough to play CF regularly and he has been more than good enough to hold down a position elsewhere, but CF is his position longterm.  My first thoughts on seeing him in his first few games was "Osgood".
Rudiger is still up for it, though maybe Silva is getting a little tired.  Alonso too, though as with Azpi we really don't know if they are hiding injuried.
The disappointments were Werner (who did at least get 2 mid-week) and RLC who largely went missing today.  Our game is heavily dependent on 2 active CMs, and the return of Kante or Kovacic will make a big difference.

2 positional/tactical oddities.  James constantly came in to the middle.  I don't think he was adding manpower to the midfield because this was mostly when we had clear possession.  Rather I think it was a way to drag their players about the pitch since they seem to mark man to man everyone.
Likewise the arrival of mostly Rudiger (but sometimes Silva) into the box was, I presume, because our CBs had just one man to cover all 3, so that no one picked them up if they advanced.

James tried to catch out their keeper early - was that with great expectation, or just to stop him coming out and catching everything for the rest of the game - probably the latter.
They tried something similar with Mendy.  The word has definitely gone around that he is eager to leave his line.

5 hours ago, Ham said:

Is this co-commentator for real? 

Efan Ekoku was quite incredible, wasn't he.  Discovery Zambia was the channel I found.  But I guess it is the standard Sky team.

5 hours ago, Cheatedagain said:

Is tat a pen

5 hours ago, Ham said:

Ref managing the little moments in favour of Leeds all game. Foul on CHO there. 

Not just a pen - a very very clear straight Red.  Funny, because the press will write about the gift of 2 penalties.  Rafinha should have had 2 straight reds on Alonso and Rudiger.  I thought the James Yellow was orange but the first Rafinha on Alonso was far far worse and neither Rafinha double footed attacks got a yellow.

4 hours ago, Lampen said:

That fight at the end is EXACTLY what we need! Get the boys fired up ready for the next! Lucky today but hopefully we have some CMs back soon.

Agreed.
Actually that corner nonsense was a good signal.  All the bigger guys wanted to take the ball and take the kicks to the back of the legs.  Not just Lukaku but Havertz and RLC too.
Must have been terrific to have been a fan sitting down there.

1 hour ago, chara said:

if we can get one we can get four but the getting of one is the hard part..... felt first pen was somewhat against the run of play and obviously gave Leeds a boost at the right time but when all is said and done three points and many a game over the season is won by Chelsea and the rest by such small twists in a game.

This is a nail on the head. We need to be in jeopardy in order to start properly attacking. If we aren't in jeopardy we'll happily sleepwalk while 1-0 up into all sorts of nonsense.

I don't think it was a stand out bad performance , we play like this most weeks , we huff and puff , have little symbiosis between midfield and attack and rely on anyone other than our forwards to win us games .

Werner was practically invisible throughout and Havertz has developed an amazing ability to thunder into a tackle , look like he's going to win the ball and miss his target completely or bounce off the player he"s tackling , it's quite amazing to see .

The referee was terrible throughout , these newer refs are quite often fast tracked into the Premier league from the Championship but I think this one must've come from cage fighting the amount of rough stuff he missed .

We dicked about with the ball around our own goal again until early in the second half when we started to hoof it a bit . 

Jorginho was probably MOTM and RLC was relatively tidy but we didn't particularly play well in any part of the pitch . 

Still , I'm grateful for the win , I expect we'll never get another penalty again once the papers start but despite the ref missing the first one and being put right by Mike Dean of all people and giving the second,  they were both legitimate penalties  if happening at Anfield and Old Trafford so the same should apply to us .

We desperately need Kante back that's for certain as without him stopping things our defence has reverted back to type .

We're so easy to play against at the moment , can't score and can't defend .

Not great .

• Like 1