My Blood Is Blue

Chelsea 3 Leeds United 2

Holymoly   
5 hours ago, Ro61 said:

The sooner we get Kovacic and Kante back the better.

Don't hold your breath there. Kante is becoming a one man A&E department and Kovacic may well end up feeling the effects of Covid for some time, rather like Havertz. Now Jorginho is carrying a chronic injury there is an argument for recalling both Gallagher and Gilmour in January while shipping Saul back to Spain.

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Christmas must be fun in your house :-) 

Not if Chelsea are involved ūüėČ

3 hours ago, kennypaul said:

Was good to hear the faithful at the top of their lungs near the end. If I was there I think I would have lost my voice.what an odious bunch of self entitled deluded fans Leeds fans are.

They really were. I think the Jimmy Saville chant knackered my voice today.

And Mount's celebration riled them up so much. :happy: Proper Chels! 

8 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

The referees need to clamp down on this and the nitty fouling in general. It allows the "smaller" teams to disrupt the flow of the games against more technical teams so much and even the technical teams (City) abuse the leniency so much to stop counter attacks and moments where a defensive line is breached or on the backfoot. I don't get how it isn't an automatic yellow for a foul that disrupts a counter attack for example, it seems so arbitrary when refs choose to book players in such scenarios. 

Yeah.  At 3pm I was actually at a Div 1 match.  Charlton have had several promotions where they give 3 free tickets to every season ticket holder and as a result are getting crowds of 20k+.

Point being that there were 9 yellows in what was a clean game.  6 of them for pulling a player back after being beaten.
The rules are clear, it is the refs that don't apply them.

First league home game I've missed this season, so obviously the most entertaining!

Only seen highlights, but something really has gone missing from the team's collective defending in the last 5 games. I'm hoping the scrap at the end helps with that, just brings back a bit of fight. 

The ref really didn't seem bothered by crap tackles unless you were Reece James.

12 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

At this rate of improvement I'm not sure any of us will live to see the day Havertz actually plays like a £75m player.

I'm not so pessimistic about Havertz .

He's being moulded into a different  player from the one we signed and I can see  clear progress in what TT is asking him to do. He is working hard for the team on and off the ball and getting stronger and stronger. Faults are -  the team  work he's doing is actually preventing him from getting into enough good goal scoring positions, but half of that is due to the dire lack of creativity coming from midfield. He also still chooses to try and place his chances all the time rather than sometimes  putting his foot through the ball,  like a Lukaku does.

Imo, as an all round CF, he's already streets ahead of Lukaku except the part of getting into the areas where he gets easy chances to put away. That is something that should come with more experience and hopefully more creativity in and around the box.

Edited by boratsbrother

RDCW   
11 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I'm not so pessimistic about Havertz .

He's being moulded into a different  player from the one we signed and I can see  clear progress in what TT is asking him to do. He is working hard for the team on and off the ball and getting stronger and stronger. Faults are -  the team  work he's doing is actually preventing him from getting into enough good goal scoring positions, but half of that is due to the dire lack of creativity coming from midfield. He also still chooses to try and place his chances all the time rather than sometimes  putting his foot through the ball,  like a Lukaku does.

Imo, as an all round CF, he's already streets ahead of Lukaku except the part of getting into the areas where he gets easy chances to put away. That is something that should come with more experience and hopefully more creativity in and around the box.

I'm definitely coming round to Havertz. I just couldn't see him making a decent player last season (and the start of this), but now I really can. He is definitely adapting, developing the resilience and aggression necessary to give him the space he needs to play his game. I am optimistic about him.

Blue Rod   
27 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I'm not so pessimistic about Havertz ...

... Imo, as an all round CF, he's already streets ahead of Lukaku except the part of getting into the areas where he gets easy chances to put away. That is something that should come with more experience and hopefully more creativity in and around the box.

It's a terrible predicament for us that we have to judge Havertz by comparing him to Lukaku (and Werner) He can build on, develop, and perfect what he's got. As for what he hasn't got, forget it. 

He does show bursts of speed, which he didn't do last season, and he is not running away from physical contact as before. But what he actually does with the ball hasn't changed one bit from last season, imo.

Got to admit, I think our attacking options are dreadful. If there was a 'return' option (so Mount and Hudson Odoi were excluded), I'd hesitate on Pulisic but I'd send each and every one of the rest of them back.