paulw66   
1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

There’s no shame losing the title to Man C or Liverpool. But I think we realistically need to brace ourselves for us not winning the title. There’s still a severe lack of a goalscorer. It’s not because we don’t create, for some reason it just doesn’t happen. 

Should have won by several goals yesterday but instead they get a lucky punch and a point they didn’t deserve. Same old story. 

I wonder how Liverpool would do without Salah, Mane, Jota and Firmino

Not much to say besides this was a dreadful result, and the pessimist in me saw it coming (admittedly I'd thought it would be 0-0) in the 8th minute when we wasted our second clear opportunity to score.

I really don't think we are that far behind City and Liverpool. It's just that the very small margin in it has really big implications. And rightfully so, not complaining about that.

I think we've thrown away a huge chance this year, and all in the space of 3 or so weeks.

34 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You make a good point, but our main front three haven't been as profilic when they have been playing. 

Dingus   

Obviously these are unprecedented times we’re living in but this isn’t the first instance where we hit this time of year and crumble away is it? Like clockwork.

Awful result and probably the end of the title challenge. Such a shame given the start but there you go.

Bison   
7 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

So, you're happy to join holiests' list of misogynists by questioning the judgement of Marina Granovskaia.

I personally can't  remember a time in the Roman Abramovich era when we had so many underperforming overpriced high-wage signings, never. It's like we've made good money with our player dealings, then threw it away on overpriced ill-fitted forwards.

Even when we're fully fit, we just don't have a game changer of any consistent or reliable form, a player whose moment of brilliance can turn a game around, a player who takes it upon himself to pull us out of a bad situation, we don't. There is no give-me-the-ball player in the middle of the park. 

Next season is the turning point, imo, for director, manager, Werner, Havertz and Lukaku. There'll come the OGS moment for some. Although I do have a feeling there will be those asking for Havertz to be given a third, 4th, 5th season to become a top player, those who believe a turnaround was only a few games away. 

I genuinely burst out laughing when I read Marina 'won' an award. It's crazy what money can buy. 

53 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I wonder how Liverpool would do with Pulisic, Werner, Havertz and Ziyech.

They would be going from group of forwards who score and create a huge number of goals to a group who wouldn't look out of place playing for a team in the bottom half of the table.

Edited by Bison

11 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

You make a good point, but our main front three haven't been as profilic when they have been playing. 

But who are our main front 3? I'm not sure we have a main front 3 and that to me is part of our current problem.

Liverpool has a settled front 3 plus a 4th who can come in and knows the job he does as well, which is why they are so prolific. Man City have ridiculous strength in depth and so are able to rotate through their front 3/4 without any drop-off and they are all well drilled, knowing the job Pep wants each of them to do. So some players will get a long run in the team but then dropped once form dips and the next one comes in and just takes over that role.

Chelsea, aren't at either end of the Liverpool to City scale in this sense, we don't have a settled front 3, in fact, if you asked everyone on this forum who our first choice front 3 are, you'd probably get a whole mix of answers, but equally the quality of attacking players is quite varied and they're all quite different players, meaning it's never a case of swapping one in for the other, we have to swap one in and everyone then has a slightly different role to play in that front 3.

paulw66   
17 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

We bought Lukaku exactly for these sort of games. We struggled last year (and have done since Costa left) against teams that sit deep, play with a low block. 

Of course, we still should have won comfortably with the chances we had, especially first half. 

3 minutes ago, Dingus said:

Obviously these are unprecedented times we’re living in but this isn’t the first instance where we hit this time of year and crumble away is it? Like clockwork.

Awful result and probably the end of the title challenge. Such a shame given the start but there you go.

We seem to have a ver mentally fragile set of players, who seem to really struggle to bounce back from a bad result, especially at this time of year. The only players last night that could walk off that pitch with any pride in the effort they put in were Mount, James and Rudiger (hat top too to Silva, who is just ridiculously good regardless of how others play around him). The rest just shrunk... Ziyech started really well, but then just disappeared. Pulisic didn't like playing false 9 and never got into the game. RLC floated in and out. Jorginho isn't needed in this kind of game, it just gets slowed down when it goes through him. Azpi sadly looks to have lost his legs. Alonso tried to play the Chilwell role but struggles with his lack of pace. Chalobah did ok but had little time to get into the game. Barkley... needs a brain. Saul isn't even a footballer.

6 hours ago, Ro61 said:

The thing that gets me is the complete opposing views on players abilities.I mean Caravaggio is the best artist that I have had the privilege to view his works.Piccasso's work looks like my grandson could do better.

Agreed! But we must be wrong.