I wonder - is all this slagging off the players to do with defending TT?  Or are people still making excuses for SFL?

9 hours ago, Ro61 said:

My brother in law worked on the George W campaign(he's a lawyer).He keeps sending my wife pictures of empty hospitals in America during the height of the pandemic.He's a conspiracy  theorist  and a loon that should know better with his intelligence. 

Doesn't surprise me.  During the peak crisis Covid patients had about one third of the beds in UK.  Non-covid had about a quarter.  Covid policies just shut half the NHS down.

9 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

So, you're happy to join holiests' list of misogynists by questioning the judgement of Marina Granovskaia.

I personally can't  remember a time in the Roman Abramovich era when we had so many underperforming overpriced high-wage signings, never. It's like we've made good money with our player dealings, then threw it away on overpriced ill-fitted forwards.

Even when we're fully fit, we just don't have a game changer of any consistent or reliable form, a player whose moment of brilliance can turn a game around, a player who takes it upon himself to pull us out of a bad situation, we don't. There is no give-me-the-ball player in the middle of the park. 

Next season is the turning point, imo, for director, manager, Werner, Havertz and Lukaku. There'll come the OGS moment for some. Although I do have a feeling there will be those asking for Havertz to be given a third, 4th, 5th season to become a top player, those who believe a turnaround was only a few games away. 

So not 2003/04 or 2017/18 then?  

Funny to pick out Werner Havertz and Lukaku in a game where poor finishing was responsible for us not thrashing Everton and none of them being available to TT.  Dare I say it... agenda

3 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I think you need to understand how xG is calculated and how easy it is to "game" it. Our style of play, whether we're on it or not, will always tend to generate a higher xG than perhaps one would expect. You are well aware of my distain for the sabermetric insofar as it attempts to reduce the entirety of a game of football into a single statistic. These artificial summaries may work in sports that are stop/start or a series of individual, distinct plays however in a game that is constantly ebbing and flowing it ends up producing a nonsensical figure that repesents a generalised synopsis of 90 minutes. xG is a sabermetric in its intention and as such, if it has any worth it is over the course of a season as a whole and not individual games.

Impressive of you to talk down to me on the subject of xG.  Perhaps you should look at some numbers though before making showing off your knowledge too much.
image.thumb.png.5c740c8351a5b1a823506d823ecacb78.png

(-6.33 before this game)

2 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

The Burnley, United and Everton games are all repeats of each other. What should be 5-0 victories, games done at half time, 1-0 up within 5-10 minutes, end up 1-1 with us nervously snatching for a win in the last 10 minutes. 

Even games where we didn't play as well, nor dominate to the same extent, Brentford, West Ham, Watford and Leeds, we had enough spells of domination and chance creation to put the games to bed earlier. 

The only game where we did nothing was the City game. Even the Liverpool game was full of chances for 2-0 being wasted until the red card. 

1 hour ago, Bison said:

I genuinely burst out laughing when I read Marina 'won' an award. It's crazy what money can buy. 

The CL for starters.  

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

We bought Lukaku exactly for these sort of games. We struggled last year (and have done since Costa left) against teams that sit deep, play with a low block. 

Of course, we still should have won comfortably with the chances we had, especially first half. 

Precisely.    Our 3 candidate CFs were out, and apart from the finishing we were great.

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I wonder how Liverpool would do without Salah, Mane, Jota and Firmino

I wonder what we would do with them. 

2 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

You make a good point, but our main front three haven't been as profilic when they have been playing. 

It isn't a good point though because it's not comparing like for like.

Liverpool's forwards score for fun and taking them out would be an enormous blow for them.

What we saw from us up front  last was night was no different from what we've seen numerous times this season when all our forwards have been fit - missed chances. poor passes in and around the box. looking like they've never trained together.

We've seen this kind of performance this season and last season under TT. Exactly the same stuff under Frank and it all goes back to Sarri who started this slow,  boring,  possession is king tripe that is getting us nowhere in the league. 

Edited by boratsbrother

I expect Tommy is getting the suitcase down from the loft , with the decorations,  just in case 

Holymoly   

We bought Lukaku exactly for these sort of games. We struggled last year (and have done since Costa left) against teams that sit deep, play with a low block. 

Of course, we still should have won comfortably with the chances we had, especially first half. 

Actually we attempted to buy Haaland for these sorts of games. When we found we couldn't bypass his agent's absurd demands we resorted to plan B which was always going to be a huge risk one way or another. To be fair I don't think Lukaku would have added much last night either.

8 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

To be fair I don't think Lukaku would have added much last night either.

Certainly not given his last two appearances , rustier than Terry Waites bike .

Holymoly   
29 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Impressive of you to talk down to me on the subject of xG.

Perhaps I should apologise for arguing my case and having the temerity to disagree with your view?

However you try and spin it Droy the upshot remains, xG means NOTHING! No-one will win an award for having the highest xG. It does not follow that having a better xG than the opposition means you will win. Often the reverse may well be true but you have it arse about elbow.

I'm quoting here "A rebound falling to a player in front of an open goal six yards out will have a high xG score, but a shot taken from 35 yards at a narrow angle will have a low xG score." Like I said in my original post our playstyle tends to "game" the xG "statistic". We are often guilty of trying to walk the ball into the net so there is usually a significant assist followed by a short range shot, usually through a crowd of players or at the keeper. The only player that seems to attempt long range shots is James and more often than not they tend to go in. At the end of the day the "facts" that fuel xG are subjective themselves. You are attempting to build your house on invisible foundations. In short xG is the quinessential non sequitur.

1 hour ago, Blue Rod said:

She has a good business head, I give her that and with no hesitation. But we need someone who goes beyond the hype and so-called XG stats (or whatever) to find the real quality behind the player. That is how you discover a player that is a good fit for your team without paying silly money. I don’t know who is doing that part of the job in our signings. If no one is, then Marina could do worse than headhunt one.

I laugh when people talk about how our current stickers are going to transform. We are so keen to see them improve that we have started manufacturing improvements for them. I have watched all three of them for years and can honestly say, they are doing what they have always done albeit in different teams, in different leagues and under different managers. We are not going to get a new Lukaku, or Werner or Havertz, however much we wish and pray. That ain't going to happen. The skills they are showing now is what they have in their locker, I'm afraid.

Marina is great at getting a good fee when selling players but that is all wasted by the over priced flops.

Chrisb   

who else was there to bring on?

Why bring them on at all? Barkley has his moments but what exactly does Saul bring to the team? 

ROTG   

Lukaku would have made no difference - Sorry but I have never seen anything with Lukaku for all the teams he has played for that his presence is a game changer against deep lying teams who close down at pace

A Costa / Giroud type player is what the squad is missing and would cost 1/4 of Lukaku.

I am still very concerned that TT will not change the formation maybe to a 433 when it obvious to all that plan A is not working