7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Trouble with this theory is that it ignores how teams played against us when we were playing badly and our tactical approach to deep block defences.
Lots of corners won (I think almost all our CB goals have come from corners won by AMs or attacking WBs.
WB goals are of course part of the plan - they do play further up the pitch than the CMs.  

CM goals are going to be low anyway, we play either with 2 6s who drop back close to the CBs and are often overlapped by CBs.  Or we play with one 6 and RLC or Kovacic or Kante in a freer role - but none of them have a great record at scoring or assisting except Kovacic this season only and RLC when he has played cup games against minnows.

We have been less dominant recently - and yet  from Man U game onwards we have scored 12 in 7 games, and only 1 goal of those 12 has been scored by a defender.

Clearly the problem is NOT defenders scoring, but teams attacking us leading to us playing conventional football where the strikers get the goals.

Nice timing (by those who started at the Man U game and not before) but rubbish reasoning.
Defenders scoring was just proof of how well we were playing.

I wasn't offering a theory, just pointing out that some posters were given stick for suggesting the forwards weren't scoring enough goals. This obviously stirred opinion when we were winning comfortably and I do understand that. It can come across as being negative (but it wasn't...it was concerned posters...there's a difference).

I don't think anyone theorized that the forwards weren't winning enough corners. In the past our score rate from corners has been dreadful because of poor quality of delivery and lack of players  willing to throw there head in where leather boots are flying. In respect of the latter, our CBs are still the only ones with an appetite and the confidence to do that. 

I personally felt that despite playing well we were sailing too close to the wind too many times in recent months, and at some point it would catch up with us. Yes key injuries hasn't  helped, but it has knocked us of balance far too easily. Chilwell seems to be posters main catalyst/ reason for start of decline, but it's interesting that  going back a bit he was the first casualty of TT reign. Playing Alonso instead was considered a bit of a master stroke, so I'm really not sure why its considered such a pivatol moment now ( unless Alonso is now been downgraded to useless again).

16 hours ago, Ham said:

I wouldn't put Liverpool and City in the same category style wise. Liverpool are more a long ball team who rely heavily and the skill of their attacking players to make something of the obligatory first time ball to an area from the full backs.

City build very differently and more fluid.

Who says we have to match their styles to compete? We certainly were competing until very recently by scoring far more than we conceded. 

If everyone is firing, we are going to be a match for both.  I genuinely believe that. 

I didn't say City and Pool play the same, just that they both move the ball at pace with a high level of technical ability and precision. As you said, Liverpool more direct, while City more controlled then quick, accurate passing around the box to create space. 

As for matching City and Liverpool. As I've said earlier,  I simply  don't think we can match them over a season. A one off game for sure, but not over 38 games.  Few if any agree, but to catch them I think  we need to replace  Lukaku, Werner (neither technically good enough for a title team in this league) Jorginho, Kovacic,  Zeyich, with CHO, Pulisic and Havertz being allowed another season to see if they can hit the level we need. So basically, I think we're still half a team away from winning the league.

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

I didn't say City and Pool play the same, just that they both move the ball at pace with a high level of technical ability and precision. As you said, Liverpool more direct, while City more controlled then quick, accurate passing around the box to create space. 

As for matching City and Liverpool. As I've said earlier,  I simply  don't think we can match them over a season. A one off game for sure, but not over 38 games.  Few if any agree, but to catch them I think  we need to replace  Lukaku, Werner (neither technically good enough for a title team in this league) Jorginho, Kovacic,  Zeyich, with CHO, Pulisic and Havertz being allowed another season to see if they can hit the level we need. So basically, I think we're still half a team away from winning the league.

Yes it hurts to say it but Dippers and Citeh are simply better than us. Lets keep our feet on the ground and go for a solid top four finish. A cup would be nice. Haaland would have made a massive difference for us. Lukaku was an expensive substitute. Covid is going to mess with this season as well. 

Next season is a big one for Tuchel. He will need to push for title. No one wants to become Arsenal. 

8 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Yes it hurts to say it but Dippers and Citeh are simply better than us. Lets keep our feet on the ground and go for a solid top four finish. A cup would be nice. Haaland would have made a massive difference for us. Lukaku was an expensive substitute. Covid is going to mess with this season as well. 

Next season is a big one for Tuchel. He will need to push for title. No one wants to become Arsenal. 

You are being realistic with your hopes and expectations. No shame in being 3rd or 4th to teams of their very high quality.

Also agree about next year being a big one for TT.  He will have to us in a serious title challenge or probably face the sack. Trouble with that is, who would we replace him with? Klopp and Pep are clearly the top two in the world, after them, most would rate TT in the top 3-5, so what would be the point in sacking him if we couldn't replace him with anyone better?   If we don't go very close next season, it might be the first time we start moving on a lot of players instead of the manager, and give TT time to rebuild.

Lukaku does a fantastic pass and then two bozos contrive to ruin his good work .

On 20/12/2021 at 3:56 AM, Ro61 said:

Yes indeed very true.Jose brought us great success whilst playing not great football imo.

He inherited probably the best team we ever had,and then single handedly destroyed  it,but he also destroyed our image off the field, and inevitably destroyed himself - it was very predictable. 

Was looking through some old threads and came across this, assume it's you kev?

Seems to be a fair few people hiding behind new names on here at the moment.

IMG_20211229_121618.jpg

4 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

That seems fair enough.  If they lost their old details they couldn't get back until MBIB fixed the site.
The Ghost returned to his old name recently, others might be able to do the same I guess.

Ro61   
16 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Was looking through some old threads and came across this, assume it's you kev?

IMG_20211229_121618.jpg

No it's Keyser Soza I promise you.