My Blood Is Blue

Chelsea 1 Brighton 1

1 hour ago, Blue Rod said:

True. Our defence is fine, or as fine as it can be given covid and injuries. Everything else is like the latter days of Frank Lampard minus Lukaku. 

I would like to see us switch to a back four and play 442 once in a while. I know I'll probably get flamed for suggesting that with what's happened in the past, but we are (covid or not) becoming very predictable. 

Ro61   
1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

What I worry about is the lack  of progress in midfield and attackers over the last year. TT sorted out the defence very quickly, but the rest of the team still looks as inept and disjointed as it did when Frank started to struggle.

Well,it goes back to who is responsible for signings.I agree the midfield requires major surgery and has done for years,but can you blame Tuchel for that?.

Tonight I saw pulisic knackered,CHO wasteful,Alonso all over the place,Jorginho well...he's injured, Kovacic struggling  to get match fitness, and losing two players through injury.It's a wonder we got a point.

6 minutes ago, Ro61 said:

Well,it goes back to who is responsible for signings.I agree the midfield requires major surgery and has done for years,but can you blame Tuchel for that?.

Tonight I saw pulisic knackered,CHO wasteful,Alonso all over the place,Jorginho well...he's injured, Kovacic struggling  to get match fitness, and losing two players through injury.It's a wonder we got a point.

True. But we were also robbed of a penalty on Pulisic for 2-0 and an odd decision on the Mount disallowed goal. For all our problems we might have won it but for some dodgy refereeing. 

Ro61   
23 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

True. But we were also robbed of a penalty on Pulisic for 2-0 and an odd decision on the Mount disallowed goal. For all our problems we might have won it but for some dodgy refereeing. 

Indeed.You get greedy for the football we played in the cl and a couple of matches against City and Liverpool in the epl.

Top 4  will do nicely for me and playing attacking attractive football.I have enough fantastic memories of trophy wins for the time being.

Edited by Ro61

ROTG   
9 hours ago, Ham said:

I can't believe our own ******* fanbase can't see that our available squad is collectively knackered and that this is impacting every game.

What the fanbase can see, is to much tinkering and playing players in the wrong position. 

Pulisic - one game CF next RWB, same could be said for many of the players. 

IMO - TT needs to go back to the basics and stop overthinking the game plan.  

Trying to think if any of the Chelsea team were not full internationals?

ROTG   
6 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Yup. Seems like every other team hit with COVID had at least one game postponed

Trying to see how many games including cups etc. the team had played last season compared to this season?

covid, not getting postponements and going from +8 to -8 points to chity is such a short space of time is the real concern.

Ro61   
49 minutes ago, Freeboot-Rightz said:

What the fanbase can see, is to much tinkering and playing players in the wrong position. 

Unfair.Tuchel is responding to unprecedented  circumstances.In the new year he might turn out to be a fool,but give him a chance.

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, Freeboot-Rightz said:

There is evidence of poor coaching or lack of it anywhere you look; from midfield to attack. The CHO - Mount situation is a good example. Throughout the break, there was never a clear line for a pass from CHO to Mount, who was just running really hard to get to the goal as quickly as he could. You must always keep your eyes on the person with the ball and make sure you maintain an imaginary route for a pass. It means you may actually need to slow down to keep that clear line. This is training ground stuff. 

CHO should have ignored Mount and gone for a shot. But had he gone for it and missed it, TT would probably still be talking about it as I write, which would have finished off whatever was left of the player's confidence.

I think that a collapse in confidence is a bigger problem for the squad than covid. When you see players dithering over a simple pass or run, the potential trying so hard to make themselves invisible, you know you've got a confidence problem. It's there all over the team. Even the goalkeeper and defenders were showing bits of it last night.

We have been playing like this for a long time, whether Werner, Havertz, Ziyech or whoever, were playing,  only that we were being rescued by goals from defence. I have no idea what game the others have been watching. Of course the players are tired and that compounds the problem. But if they were well drilled on what to do, we would be winning matches like this, regardless.

Edited by Blue Rod

8 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

With or without all the excuses ...

If your starting position is "thinking losing multiple key players to injury or illness" are excuses, your end position is going to be very strange indeed. 

The injuries and illnesses have happened. They could have happened anywhere. They aren't an injustice targeted at Chelsea. But they are really obviously the most significant contributing factor to what has happened to us in November and December. Having players available and fit is pretty fundamental to how any football team performs.

I think there was a lot of press chatter in August about how big and strong our squad was off. It's big because a lot of players have names and reputations (and wages) bigger than what they can really offer now and potential buyers knew that. What we have is a core of 14 or so really good players. Once injury hit that core, we've crumbled.

Ro61   
5 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

There is evidence of poor coaching or lack of it anywhere you look; from midfield to attack. The CHO - Mount situation is a good example. Throughout the break, there was never a clear line for a pass from CHO to Mount, who was just running really hard to get to the goal as quickly as he could. You must always keep your eyes on the person with the ball and make sure you maintain an imaginary route for a pass. It means you may actually need to slow down to keep that clear line. This is training ground stuff. 

CHO should have ignored Mount and gone for a shot. But had he gone for it and missed it, TT would probably still be talking about it as I write, which would have finished off whatever was left of the player's confidence.

Generally, I think a collapse in confidence is a bigger problem for the squad than covid. When you see players dithering over a simple pass or run, the potential recipient being hesitant to claim the space, you know you've got a confidence problem. It's there all over the team. Even the goalkeeper and defenders were showing bits of it last night.

We have been playing like this for a long time, whether Werner, Havertz, Ziyech or whoever, were playing,  only that we were being rescued by goals from defence. I have no idea what game the others have been watching. Of course the players are tired and that compounds the problem. But if they were well drilled on what to do, we would be winning matches like this, regardless.

I think it is harsh to say it is poor coaching. I have watched poor coaching for many a year with us.

We have played the best football I have ever seen with Tuchel in charge He needs another season in charge until we resort to Ancelotti.