My Blood Is Blue

Chelsea 2 Liverpool 2

Bison   
7 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

The definition of good midfield play has changed certainly. I still look back to the days of Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Maka, Mikel (add Fabregas to that) when we would dictate the game and very rarely if ever look uncomfortable. 

I thought we looked uncomfortable a lot today. Had some good periods but a lot of uncomfortable periods.

Also, you couldn't really list too many chances carved out by us this game. I can think of 3 for Pulisic and 1 for Alonso. 

City have raised the bar high but even if they didn't we are still not yielding enough PPG to mount a title challenge. If the season continues like this we can only finish on 77 pts and that average is rapidly decreasing also. That figure is nowhere near Champions level even if City weren't around. Tuchel can blame injuries and Covid and Lukaku, sure, but we just seem like a team that needs to improve. Maybe not personnel wise but in terms of our pattern of play.

We absolutely have to improve the stating 11 and squad if we're going to compete for a league title. 

Ham   

Sky interviewer just asked whether the non red on Mane was balanced out by the non red on Mount.

He literally pulled his foot free. Nothing more. 

14 minutes ago, Ham said:

Sky interviewer just asked whether the non red on Mane was balanced out by the non red on Mount.

He literally pulled his foot free. Nothing more. 

The Mount "challenge", as far as I could tell from the East Upper, got VARed because Jordan Henderson decided it should be. There was absolutely no need to look at it again, anyone with eyes and a brain could see Mount was trying to free himself from someone looking to make trouble.

Floyd25   

I know there’s many things we can improve on, despite having these injuries but we can take a big positive out of that display today. Let’s take the confidence earned from that fight back in to the remaining games, there’s cups up for grabs. We won’t be full strength again until next season, but we have to show the same fight and desire as we did today. 

Ham   
1 minute ago, thevelourfog said:

The Mount "challenge", as far as I could tell from the East Upper, got VARed because Jordan Henderson decided it should be. There was absolutely no need to look at it again, anyone with eyes and a brain could see Mount was trying to free himself from someone looking to make trouble.

What's worse is that the same interviewer had just finished talking to Azpi who had a black eye and a cut. 

Holymoly   

I have never been that convinced that Lukaku was going to be the answer to our attacking woes. Unfortunately I don't think the solution is straightforward. The way we play requires a highly mobile player, not a quintessential #9 per se.  I don't think Lukaku would have made a difference in this game. In much the same way I think today showed that Jorginho is not suited to a fast game. As soon as he came on our passing slowed down and Liverpool got back in the game. Kovacic and Kante were superb today. If we are intent on playing with wingbacks and flying forwards we need to maybe cash in on Droy's love child.

41 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Ah . Brain . That's why Henderson got so upset then.

52 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

The definition of good midfield play has changed certainly. I still look back to the days of Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Maka, Mikel (add Fabregas to that) when we would dictate the game and very rarely if ever look uncomfortable. 

I thought we looked uncomfortable a lot today. Had some good periods but a lot of uncomfortable periods.

Also, you couldn't really list too many chances carved out by us this game. I can think of 3 for Pulisic and 1 for Alonso. 

City have raised the bar high but even if they didn't we are still not yielding enough PPG to mount a title challenge. If the season continues like this we can only finish on 77 pts and that average is rapidly decreasing also. That figure is nowhere near Champions level even if City weren't around. Tuchel can blame injuries and Covid and Lukaku, sure, but we just seem like a team that needs to improve. Maybe not personnel wise but in terms of our pattern of play.

Proud of the lads efforts today, but looking forward to next season and beyond, we absolutely do need to find a CM who can do serious damage in the oppositions half if we are to ever catch a team like City. I also think we will have to move to a back four. After all, our greatest team had a back four.