My Blood Is Blue

Chelsea 2 Liverpool 2

4 hours ago, bert19 said:

The Mane elbow was a much bigger abuse. The only thing the “six seconds” excuse proved was that it was clearly pre-meditated before the kick-off. 
Pathetically transparent abuse of the rules. And the Ref booked him so he conveniently avoids a retroactive violent conduct charge.

Everyone apart from Carragher in the studio said it was red, Shearer and even jermaine Anus said red....so ref watch on sky this morning, Dermot Gallagher ' no only a yellow, he had is eyes on the ball....'

Ham   
9 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Ww know  that TT consulted the players on the matter. I don't think he would ask them and then go against them, so it very much looks like the players didn't want Lukaku in the team.

I've seen a quote about him consulting 5 or 6 senior players before dropping Lukaku. Apparently he had their support.  Personally I thought that showed yesterday evening. 

Ham   

"I make my decisions once I hear them out. It’s their club, it’s their team, and it’s not personal for me to decide only because of my beliefs.

We have to protect the strong beliefs and values of the squad. Regularly we speak to five or six players to get the inside view, to have a clearer evaluation of the situation.

This was a big match against a big opponent; a big response, and given the circumstances, where we came from and how we played was exceptional.

Coming back from 2-0 down was immense, and there are no worries except for the result. It was a brilliant match for both teams".

2 minutes ago, Ham said:

"I make my decisions once I hear them out. It’s their club, it’s their team, and it’s not personal for me to decide only because of my beliefs.

We have to protect the strong beliefs and values of the squad. Regularly we speak to five or six players to get the inside view, to have a clearer evaluation of the situation.

This was a big match against a big opponent; a big response, and given the circumstances, where we came from and how we played was exceptional.

Coming back from 2-0 down was immense, and there are no worries except for the result. It was a brilliant match for both teams".

He's a really good manager in my opinion , and appears to put the group above the individual which is nice to see .

18 minutes ago, Ham said:

I've seen a quote about him consulting 5 or 6 senior players before dropping Lukaku. Apparently he had their support.  Personally I thought that showed yesterday evening. 

7 minutes ago, Ham said:

Consulting 5 or 6 players regularly...
... Consulting 5 or 6 players before the game
... Consulting 5 or 6 players before dropping Lukaku
...Dropping Lukaku because of consultations with 5 or 6 players.

There is quite a lot of guesswork that goes between consulting and "because"

SabCFC   

Mané's elbow is as intentional as it gets, as blatant of violent play as you'll see in 2022.  The most obvious red card of the season possibly.

Amazing how it's easy to bend the rules. Make a blatant red card offense in the 1st minute, you get away with it. Or the Villa defender tackles Lukaku in the last minute, doesn't get a red because the game is done. These two examples are there, and then The Athletic goes on to publish a piece today on how refs aren't biased, it's the fans. Bending the rules for "sympathy" or "not kill a game" is bias.

I thought this game is an undeniable proof of what we could have been without the injuries and the acute fatigue/overload players are suffering from. 

Kanté has played only 30-40% of the minutes available this season. Kovacic, who has improved so much since TT's arrival, has been unavailable for 2 months of football. Having 3 top CMs make such a difference to this team, in terms of intensity and tactical flexibility. Jorginho has been overloaded with number of games without rest, and played through injury. He was dead tired against Villa & Brighton, so he'll need to be the one managed now. Anyone who thinks we can be a serious team without those 3 (all 3 of them) is fooling themselves.

Last night was about directness and exploiting Liverpool's highline while matching, if not, exceeding their intensity. I think in terms of intensity, we have to laud the efforts of the guys. They're running on fumes and they gave it all their all. I don't know how can anyone question the "mentality" of this group of players, they've never showcased lack of mentality or effort in games.

In terms of exploiting the high line, I think we could have done more with playing long balls and making runs. Werner was a huge loss for this game, he exploits a high line like no one else. Lukaku, too, would have done damage given how fragile the Liverpool CBs looked on 1v1.

Plenty of positives for me. This shows we can easily be the 2nd best team in the league, maybe be a bit closer to City, if not for some injury/COVID luck. The whole team played well overall. I can't be too harsh on Chalobah, as it's the first game of this intensity he's played in his career while still carrying that Watford hamstring injury that keeps relapsing. I believe Havertz hasn't fully recovered from COVID and looks unfit still and Mount needs a breather.

Think if anyone in the Chelsea hierarchy had any slight doubt about Tuchel*, they were squashed away. He's gone with a high risk gameplan and was very brave. 1 loss in all of his games against City/Liverpool since he became manager and has outcoached Klopp not for the first time.

January will still be difficult, not because of the team's quality, but because of the schedule. Tuchel will have to navigate it carefully, take advantage of the 3 cup games coming to rotate smartly for all of them and maybe recreate a physical reset. When we play City, they'll basically have 2 full weeks of rest, which is huge since they looked tired against Arsenal. 

Thought the positive too is that Azpi & Alonso looked back to their best and played WB as well as at the start of the season. They're reliable players who can still take advantage of the position's attacking space. If we're going to look into the market, think I'd rather take a versatile WB who can cover on both sides and play at one of the side CB positions, Pulisic has been doing better than CHO this season at WB so that's a bonus.

(*) not that I believe that, the board when they trust the tactical ability of a coach, let them have the full season, whether Top 4 is in play or not - Ancelotti 2nd year, Sarri, Conte - and pulls the trigger when they know the issue isn't circumstances (injuries, luck) but the coach's ability (Di Matteo, Lampard).

Ham   
2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Consulting 5 or 6 players regularly...
... Consulting 5 or 6 players before the game
... Consulting 5 or 6 players before dropping Lukaku
...Dropping Lukaku because of consultations with 5 or 6 players.

There is quite a lot of guesswork that goes between consulting and "because"

What were the odds on you picking and choosing which quotes to accept?

This quote was in response to why he left Lukaku out. That's the context. These are Tuchel's words. 

believe what you want. Couldn't give a sh1t. 

3 minutes ago, SabCFC said:

I thought this game is an undeniable proof of what we could have been without the injuries and the acute fatigue/overload players are suffering from. 

Kanté has played only 30-40% of the minutes available this season. Kovacic, who has improved so much since TT's arrival, has been unavailable for 2 months of football. Having 3 top CMs make such a difference to this team, in terms of intensity and tactical flexibility. Jorginho has been overloaded with number of games without rest, and played through injury. He was dead tired against Villa & Brighton, so he'll need to be the one managed now. Anyone who thinks we can be a serious team without those 3 (all 3 of them) is fooling themselves.

Last night was about directness and exploiting Liverpool's highline while matching, if not, exceeding their intensity. I think in terms of intensity, we have to laud the efforts of the guys. They're running on fumes and they gave it all their all. I don't know how can anyone question the "mentality" of this group of players, they've never showcased lack of mentality or effort in games.

In terms of exploiting the high line, I think we could have done more with playing long balls and making runs. Werner was a huge loss for this game, he exploits a high line like no one else. Lukaku, too, would have done damage given how fragile the Liverpool CBs looked on 1v1.

Lots of agreement here.

5 minutes ago, SabCFC said:

Plenty of positives for me. This shows we can easily be the 2nd best team in the league, maybe be a bit closer to City,

Yes.  Better than Liverpool now.

7 minutes ago, SabCFC said:

(*) not that I believe that, the board when they trust the tactical ability of a coach, let them have the full season, whether Top 4 is in play or not - Ancelotti 2nd year, Sarri, Conte - and pulls the trigger when they know the issue isn't circumstances (injuries, luck) but the coach's ability (Di Matteo, Lampard).

Yes, and at the end of the season it is points and performances that they judge on, not the points earnt by other teams.
The curious thing was the survival of Di Matteo and Lampard for so long.  I suspect that was simply because the club were lining up their ultimate successor - JM and TT.

9 minutes ago, Ham said:

What were the odds on you picking and choosing which quotes to accept?

This quote was in response to why he left Lukaku out. That's the context. These are Tuchel's words. 

believe what you want. 

I'm not accepting it or denying it.  
Q:  "Were the players consulted? "
A "We consult the players regularly"
That is the context I agree.

Does the sentence provide real evidence the players' opinion was asked in advance?  Clearly not.  Thankyou for the clarification.

What do I think actually happened.  Don't know, but doubt Lukaku would have been dropped if the players were strongly behind him.  They may even have been pretty angry - which perhaps explains why TT was so coy in his answer.

12 minutes ago, Ham said:

Couldn't give a sh1t. 

Course you couldn't - you are posting ad hominem, show no interest in the topic and walking off thinking you won another insult contest.

Ham   
5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm not accepting it or denying it.  
Q:  "Were the players consulted? "
A "We consult the players regularly"
That is the context I agree.

Does the sentence provide real evidence the players' opinion was asked in advance?  Clearly not.  Thankyou for the clarification.

What do I think actually happened.  Don't know, but doubt Lukaku would have been dropped if the players were strongly behind him.  They may even have been pretty angry - which perhaps explains why TT was so coy in his answer.

Course you couldn't - you are posting ad hominem, show no interest in the topic and walking off thinking you won another insult contest.

"I make my decisions once I hear them out"