My Blood Is Blue

Chelsea 2 Liverpool 2

Sciatika   
6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Left everything on the pitch, even when he'd spent the previous night sleeping in his car!

Or in the ref's room

Blue Rod   
5 hours ago, Ro61 said:

Yes that makes sense to me, but risky.There's no doubt Tuchel is a deep thinker about the game,but sometimes you can overthink things.

True, it was too risky for me. It was exact opposite of what we needed, which is step up attacks and hit them hard just as they're beginning to tire. They are not good without the ball, and are a different team once the pace is gone. Liverpool bench must have felt relieved when Jorginho came on. 

We could do with a bit of that mentality where you sense your moment, a turning point, and seize it to win a match. Every title winning team needs it. Our end tactics looked like we had settled for a draw, which itself wasn't a bad result, considering.

Edited by Blue Rod

ROTG   
16 hours ago, asvaberg said:

Excuse me for interrupting, but Droy was a childhood and youthhood(?) hero for a lot of the adult Chelsea fans as of today - along with his team-mates in the "crap team" you are taking about. It's a major part of the club's history. Not all of us in here started supporting Chelsea as glory hunters :)

Apologies for the late response, getting prepared for a trip to my next parish and flock

No point having a ding dong, lets just say, Droy, like Kenny Swain, Ray, & Gary Wilkins, Ian Britton to name a few were and are heroes to many of us around during that era, unfortunately they played in an era when the club was on a downward spiral and a selling club.

Time to move on :0)

3 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

True, it was too risky for me. It was exact opposite of what we needed, which is step up attacks and hit them hard just as they're beginning to tire. They are not good without the ball, and are a different team once the pace is gone. Liverpool bench must have felt relieved when Jorginho came on. 

I guess TT was watching the oppo, not just your gut feelings.
Liverpool sat a lot deeper from about 60 mins.  The balls over the top weren't working.  We were having to get forward one pass at a time, and that meant we needed a better passer.  Jorginho was dropped because Liverpool push up, and brought back on 5 mins after they stopped doing that.
I wouldn't call it brilliant management by TT, just the basics of playing the oppo.

Blue Rod   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I guess TT was watching the oppo, not just your gut feelings.
Liverpool sat a lot deeper from about 60 mins.  The balls over the top weren't working.  We were having to get forward one pass at a time, and that meant we needed a better passer.  Jorginho was dropped because Liverpool push up, and brought back on 5 mins after they stopped doing that.
I wouldn't call it brilliant management by TT, just the basics of playing the oppo.

That would have worked if Jorginho actually did pass the ball after he came on. Please watch again if you have it recorded. A surprise back pass to Rudiger under no pressure was how he announced his introduction. I cannot remember the last time Jorginho passed the ball in a way that threatened any opposition. 

SabCFC   
15 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Pretty nasty, racist accusation there.😡

I think you're misinterpreting here. My "accusation" wasn't towards Kane, it was an observation that white English footballers have a circle of friends in the media that usually protects them, and that's been obvious from quite some time. Kane has been very insulated when he was voluntarily missing training to force a move. Foden & Grealish have escaped most recently. For many years, Sterling had been horribly mistreated. Now I will say, like Droy noted, Black players have wisen up to this and have started to talk more publicly and strengthened their PR arsenal. Good for them.

The issue still exists though for Black foreign players, who don't have the network of English players, and are often misunderstood because they come from different cultures (Francophone culture in particular). Anelka, Drogba, Evra in the past, Pogba recently. And now, this story seems to give the green light for a lot of pundits/journalists or whatever to go full blast on Lukaku - lazy, disgrace, diva , troublesome - some of those descriptions are borderline, stereotypes that are easily stamped on these guys, which is always suspicious to me. 

5 minutes ago, SabCFC said:

I think you're misinterpreting here. My "accusation" wasn't towards Kane, it was an observation that white English footballers have a circle of friends in the media that usually protects them, and that's been obvious from quite some time. Kane has been very insulated when he was voluntarily missing training to force a move. Foden & Grealish have escaped most recently. For many years, Sterling had been horribly mistreated. Now I will say, like Droy noted, Black players have wisen up to this and have started to talk more publicly and strengthened their PR arsenal. Good for them.

The issue still exists though for Black foreign players, who don't have the network of English players, and are often misunderstood because they come from different cultures (Francophone culture in particular). Anelka, Drogba, Evra in the past, Pogba recently. And now, this story seems to give the green light for a lot of pundits/journalists or whatever to go full blast on Lukaku - lazy, disgrace, diva , troublesome - some of those descriptions are borderline, stereotypes that are easily stamped on these guys, which is always suspicious to me. 

Yes... almost as if they don't have the "Protestant work ethic" of white, Anglo-Saxon working class males! Strange, isn't it? Completely at odds with the sort of headlines to be found on the front pages of those very same newspapers. Oh, wait...

SabCFC   
12 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

That would have worked if Jorginho actually did pass the ball after he came on. Please watch again if you have it recorded. A surprise back pass to Rudiger under no pressure was how he announced his introduction. I cannot remember the last time Jorginho passed the ball in a way that threatened any opposition. 

That's nonsense.  First, he did make a pass a first touch direct pass on the right that lead to the many corners/set-pieces later in the game - nonetheless, he wasn't asked to attack, that'd be stupid, he's a DM. He came on as the deepest 6 to keep Kovacic pushed up on the left to press high and keep giving freedom to Kanté without worrying about space vacated.

But mostly, Jorginho came on as reaction what Liverpool did to adjust. When Keita & Jones came on for Liverpool, it meant they had 2 CMs who could actually keep the ball high in our half, as opposite to Milner or Henderson (more dangerous off the ball than on it). That was dangerous for Chelsea, since 1) the team was tired from such a high intensity effort 2) less pressing means more space through the middle and Chalobah off means less pace from CBs to step into midfield and stop counters. It was time to close up shop with 3 CMs, and force Liverpool to create from slow build-up rather than from counterattacks. Liverpool were less dangerous while we still threatened on set-piece. Correct reading of the game, correct decision, Jorginho did the tactical job asked to do. 

It's what having 3 top CMs does. Options, flexibility, high quality rotation. Tuchel knows this, and he knows he needs all 3 of them available.

paulw66   
21 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

You don't have to go back that far..........against Brighton he played James in 1 on 1 with Pickford, who sided footed wide. Against Villa, he sent Mount away when he rounded the goalie and missed the open goal. Not his fault chances are missed. 

Blue Rod   
13 minutes ago, SabCFC said:

That's nonsense.  First, he did make a pass a first touch direct pass on the right that lead to the many corners/set-pieces later in the game - nonetheless, he wasn't asked to attack, that'd be stupid, he's a DM....

But mostly, Jorginho came on as reaction what Liverpool did to adjust. When Keita & Jones came on for Liverpool, it meant they had 2 CMs who could actually keep the ball...

It's what having 3 top CMs does. Options, flexibility, high quality rotation. Tuchel knows this, and he knows he needs all 3 of them available.

If Jorginho was sent to help slow down and kill the game, then it worked. My argument was that we needed to instead up the sticks and grab a win. With Jorginho coming on, we looked less likely to achieve that. Others think we actually lost control. 

12 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You don't have to go back that far..........against Brighton he played James in 1 on 1 with Pickford, who sided footed wide. Against Villa, he sent Mount away when he rounded the goalie and missed the open goal. Not his fault chances are missed. 

Okay, maybe I was exaggerating a little bit. Jorginho can hit some passes, sometimes, just not enough for me. But in the context of this particular match, he stalled our progress. He was the only option on the bench, to be fair. But if we had an assertive midfielder with a bit of pace and power coming on at that stage, we would have taken control of the match and won it..