My Blood Is Blue

Chelsea 2 Tottenham Hotspur 0

Recommended Posts

RDCW   
5 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Thank you.

I was specifically looking forward to catching all that :( Ah well.

It's quite impressive when they turn off the lights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:

It's quite impressive when they turn off the lights.

I've actually made a complaint to the Club and they are looking into it. Hopefully will compensated in some way, I've never had this problem of late entry before. 

I was there 30 minutes before kick off and it took 40 minutes to get in and the bottlenecking was scary, very real risk of a crush occurring with the pushing and shoving from behind.

I've never seen it that bad and I overheard someone else say "the stewarding is always like this at League Cup games".

I understand that getting there 10-15 minutes before kick off is risking it due to the queues of late comers, but not 30 minutes before. It was total mismanagement from the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RDCW   
10 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I've actually made a complaint to the Club and they are looking into it. Hopefully will compensated in some way, I've never had this problem of late entry before. 

I was there 30 minutes before kick off and it took 40 minutes to get in and the bottlenecking was scary, very real risk of a crush occurring with the pushing and shoving from behind.

I've never seen it that bad and I overheard someone else say "the stewarding is always like this at League Cup games".

I understand that getting there 10-15 minutes before kick off is risking it due to the queues of late comers, but not 30 minutes before. It was total mismanagement from the club.

Yes, 30 minutes before sounds like a very reasonable arrival time. The moaning is bad enough when people turn up 3 minutes before kick off from the pub, only to find that thousands of others have had the same idea! I bet there was proper anger last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:

Yes, 30 minutes before sounds like a very reasonable arrival time. The moaning is bad enough when people turn up 3 minutes before kick off from the pub, only to find that thousands of others have had the same idea! I bet there was proper anger last night.

Yes, someone even sent their Tweet into the Chelsea TV coverage:
thumbnail_processed-c03a0fa5-4f2b-4506-a720-c299df3af8c5_zcOqdhND.thumb.jpg.4983b5acf8d0e7c900c7eb8734546447.jpgthumbnail_processed-6e313779-02eb-4be1-8aa2-1096c5656a5e_ijKD1PsP.thumb.jpg.d657bd695fef773efa1a1393e26ef3f0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SabCFC   

A convincing performance that should hopefully stop the nonsense that our players are crap or whatever. Spurs are much improved under Conte, as you'd expect, they dominated Liverpool, they played their main team (Dier the only noticeable loss for them), and we dominated much more, with some B team parts, that our friend Antonio is already trash talking his squad to a comical, but predictable level.

I said after the Brighton draw that people are looking for complicated reasons for our slump, including somehow deciding we were never a good team this season or the players were worthless, when it was obvious that injuries+COVID+schedule is the most rational explanation.

When we're fresh, relatively fit under Tuchel, we press teams to death, we play at a high intensity, and as a consequence, we play very good football and create tons of chances.

Ziyech, Havertz, Lukaku, Saul all fresh players -> 5 PPDA in the 1st half, 7 PPDA in the 2nd half - one of the highest pressing intensity stats of the season. And what was back? Top quality football. All the passing, all the patterns we've been used to under TT.

I truly believe that's the key part, not formations. Having Jorginho/Kovacic/Kanté all back (well, let's hope Kanté tests out in less than 10 days) allows to always have quality in midfield, fresh attackers allow a high intensity press, and suddenly the team is humming.

The formation - I think we've played variation of this 4222 in games since day 1 under Tuchel. In his first game against Wolves, CHO was a RW more than a RB, Ziyech & Havertz were the 2 10s with Kovacic/Jorginho creating that 4-men midfield.

I guess it's more unconventional when it's Ziyech playing instead of CHO or Pulisic. He cuts inside a lot more (but we've seen this from the WBs & James this season), and he has a lot less speed so it feels counterintuitive. Ziyech does have some of the highest workrate of our attackers, he's a pressing player coming from pressing machine Ajax, so I believe Tuchel knows this. It was said in the broadcast that he played the position with Ajax against Bayern once, that was interesting, maybe he volunteered. 

I believe it worked too because Tottenham's FB/WB are of really poor quality. You can leave Emerson a lot of space and he won't do much with it. It's a risk worth taking in that case.

Individually, it was pleasing to see Sarr and Saul much improved. I had, still have some doubts about Sarr's tactical discipline, but he's been really good in his past few games, there might be a player there, he's young enough not to completely discredit him. As a backup it's perfect.

Saul, I don't think he's improved suddenly as much as he's learned how to play in this league. He has learned that he can't rely on his ability to resist to the pressure and he won't be given the time he had in La Liga. He didn't hold onto the ball for too long, didn't try to take the ball and dribble past people, release the ball very quickly and even better, always knew where to pass the ball to before it arrived to him. Suddenly, he looks a different player. He looks like a really good player with excellent workrate.

He's been given a lot of crap, but it basically took him 6 to 7 games to adapt, that's not actually bad. RLC still hasn't picked up on these things and has 120 PL games, so I think Saul deserves credit.

If he can become a usable CM4 for the second half of the season/crunch time, it will be a successful loan in my book.

Some other noteworthy performances:

Azpi is playing as good as ever, defensively incredible.

Alonso, far from the scrub people think he is, if Digne or Dest are coming, they've got a long way before starting over him.

Mount playing on the left was refreshing. Similar to his role under Lampard - but this time, playing in a functional "hexagon" system.

Havertz was much better than against Liverpool and that's to be expected, he's a player who takes time to recover from injuries/COVID. The overloads he created with Alonso & Mount were interesting.

Werner/Lukaku works. It just works. They create space and chances for each other, and I hope we can see it more now (COVID/injuries). Southampton, Spurs in the league, Zenith, and last night. I'm really excited by the linkup.

I thought Mendy looked really off on the ball for the past month and in some games, it contributed to some agitation on the back in the buildup. I think Kepa's confidence on the ball will be a real plus in his absence. This might be controversial, you lose some things with Mendy (long shots, claiming crosses) but we gain some things with Kepa too. It's not Lampard Kepa anymore, he's not a joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SabCFC said:

He's been given a lot of crap, but it basically took him 6 to 7 games to adapt, that's not actually bad. RLC still hasn't picked up on these things and has 120 PL games, so I think Saul deserves credit.

:)

37 minutes ago, SabCFC said:

Werner/Lukaku works. It just works. They create space and chances for each other, and I hope we can see it more now (COVID/injuries). Southampton, Spurs in the league, Zenith, and last night. I'm really excited by the linkup.

It does.  I think playing CB against one of them is a nightmare, playing against both is terrifying.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ham said:

All of that was a message to Levy about the quality of his squad.  

I also suspect he’s ‘challenging’ his team. Basically telling his team that our professional players are better professional footballers then they are. 
 

He’s going for a reaction. I listened to the whole interview on the radio in the way home from the bridge and thought he’s gone “s**t or bust” with his lot there.
 

He might get a better tune out of them for a while, but that lot have done for Poch, Jose and Nuno already - my view is he won’t last more than 18 months there. 
 

3-0 we’d have had the tie won, 2-0 makes the next goal really important as regards who makes the final. We need to be on the front foot, as they look a shambles defensively - any PL defence that says that they missed Eric Dier isn’t very good at all 😂

Funny moment when their fans were singing something fairly derogatory about Lukaku’s brain fart moment - seemingly oblivious to Kane putting in about a 50% shift all season thus far, since his move didn’t happen.

Edited by East Lower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'HYII'

Ouch - if I recall he did that in the 5th min when he fell into the net after scoring.  Played on till half time for what was I presume a planned swap with Werner.

He is going to be one hell of a CF in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   
5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'HYII'

Ouch - if I recall he did that in the 5th min when he fell into the net after scoring.  Played on till half time for what was I presume a planned swap with Werner.

He is going to be one hell of a CF in time.

Ouch indeed......for a minute I feared he had broken his arm the way it looked as he went to ground.....OldGeezer time I remember The Cat having a pin inserted in a finger after a break...spent a little time with Peter Mellor the Fulham keeper...not playing time I assure you...thought my hands/fingers were a mess until I saw his!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now