My Blood Is Blue

Tottenham Hotspur 0 Chelsea 1 (0 - 3 on aggregate)

1 hour ago, chara said:

What a nasty character he appears to be,,,,don't watch Spurs much but he seems a mouthy git  ready to put it about in a sly way but not willing to take it back.

Sarr was ready for Los Celso's sh*t housery and he couldn't cope. Lovely. 

• Like 1

Happy with that. No drama in either leg (referee aside) and no injuries. Feels like we’ve put December behind us.

Another final for our great club and I don’t care who we fave. 

bONes   
8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

There is the catch.  Without VAR he would never have given either penalty.  He could only give them if he knew he'd get bailed out for a really atrocious decision.  With VAR he can call all the 20% decisions against Chelsea without risk.

The double off side though would have been given, in the old days they always had 2 yards discretion.

There were quite a few pulling backs and professional fouls in the first half that should have lead to bookings.  22 fouls not a single booking - reminds me of Clattenberg when he wanted to see a fight not a match.

That’s true. Especially offsides in other games. I would quite like the idea of each team having 1 VAR request per game. Perhaps 2. Captain makes the call to the ref.

These new rules (Carabao too?) to increase fouls and reduce cards are shocking. The players are getting annhilated. Can’t believe Rüdiger did not get booked too, lol!

paulw66   
1 hour ago, bONes said:

That’s true. Especially offsides in other games. I would quite like the idea of each team having 1 VAR request per game. Perhaps 2. Captain makes the call to the ref.

These new rules (Carabao too?) to increase fouls and reduce cards are shocking. The players are getting annhilated. Can’t believe Rüdiger did not get booked too, lol!

Alternatively the refs could be less incompetent

The two penalty decisions were nothing short of pathetic 

bONes   
9 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

how about more competent refs and one or two VAR calls for each team?

Ham   
12 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I don't even think the challenge outside the box was a foul by Rudi. He got the ball.  

• Like 1

Couldn't watch or follow live, so have just watched highlights knowing only the score and none of the detail.

What on Earth. Is Andre Marriner a literal idiot? Two of the worst penalty decisions I have ever seen.

asvaberg   
15 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

What alternatives does the ref have? He can't run straight to the VAR screen without stopping the game for some reason, can he?

He definately needs to stop the game, so maybe signal a free kick if he is in doubt whether it's a penalty or not.

Or he can do what he did, signal a penalty and have VAR check if it is or not..............

My agenda is not to defend Marriner, but try to understand what options he has, on the pitch as it happends. 

Edited by asvaberg

27 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Two of the worst decisions I have ever seen at a live game and my view wasn't the best for either.

The Rudiger one started so far outside the box it was laughable. The time it took for VAR to make a decision was a joke, I can only imagine they were desperate to find some contact inside the box even though it was clear in real time there was none. I'm not even sure, after not seeing it back that it was even a foul. And as for where the ref allowed the free kick to be taken from, blatant cheating.My understanding was always that if the initial contact was outside the box it would be a free kick anyway and not a penalty which made it even stranger. Although I could be wrong with that.

As for the Kepa one, great save, great piece of goalkeeping and even more obviously not a foul at all. Shambolic decision. The only conclusion I can come to is that the ref was happy to take a chance and potentially be overruled knowing full well if there was even the slightest chance of it not being a clear and obvious error it would have stood.

And there in lies the biggest problem with VAR. It encourages  corruption for the teams the refs do not like and the other way round if you like. It's impossible for them to be impartial.

On a side note little mention to Malang Sarr, he's proven to be a very good, very reliable addition to the squad. I can't remember him putting a foot wrong at all this season and he's only 22. He had a good battle with the disgraceful Lo Celso and comfortably came out on top. There was one moment where Lo Celso got in his face and he looked and him as if to say ' Go on then' and then laughed at him. He seems like he may have a bit of Rudiger in him and that's an attribute in itself. Very interested to see how he progresses in the next few years. Could become a real gem.

Edited by Martin1905
  • Like 1