10 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Not unless you list out the completely random signings they’ve made of players I’ve never heard of.

Cheating at what?

Pretend sponsor deals enabling them to cheat FFP etc

Ham   
10 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Cheating at what?

Sponsorships

ROTG   
7 hours ago, Ham said:

Spot on.  I can't believe how many fans have forgotten where we were before the injury/Covid crisis and how depleted we've been since November.

When not decimated we're a top top team pushing for the title. City haven't had to deal with this at all. TT had the perfect balance and set up and then the gods decided that wasn't on. 

Best strawman of the weekend. 

6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Pretend sponsor deals enabling them to cheat FFP etc

6 minutes ago, Ham said:

Sponsorships

I completely misread/understood the post… I thought you meant I was cheating!

So, yes, cheating will also help them, but that amongst other things doesn’t really make them a proper club in my eyes and the success they’re having, whilst impressive in its quality, just isn’t genuine and just feels like a rather strange era in modern football. I have the same feelings about PSG.

Long may they both remain trophyless in the CL.

chara   

It's not losing to Citeh 1-0 1-0 that concerns me....those results plus the two draws with Liverpool are about right....all four games probably could have gone the either way justified or not for all involved.

It's the Everton et al dropped points when Chelsea should have walked away with three points.

I was truly amazed at the Leicester game and thought "wow" we are on our way....a glimpse of what might be but circumstances have derailed any progress or cementing of style.

The Chelsea optimist in me says a run now against lesser opponents (than the scousers/Citeh) will get Chelsea nicely tucked into the top three and comfortably into Europe next season...the tired Chelsea veteran in me says a scramble at the last knockings again will get us 3rd/4 th after another less than inspiring run...not a bad stretch just blah..... 

Ham   
11 minutes ago, Freeboot-Rightz said:

Best strawman of the weekend. 

How do you work that out? 

Are you denying that our form has been derailed by things outside of our control?

Is our first choice 11 plus best bench not up there with city? 

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I completely misread/understood the post… I thought you meant I was cheating!

So, yes, cheating will also help them, but that amongst other things doesn’t really make them a proper club in my eyes and the success they’re having, whilst impressive in its quality, just isn’t genuine and just feels like a rather strange era in modern football. I have the same feelings about PSG.

Long may they both remain trophyless in the CL.

Truth is though, outside of Chelsea forums, we are often lumped in with the likes of City and PSG.

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Is our first choice 11 plus best bench not up there with city? 

No it isn't!

Mendy and Rudi are as good as City's first choice. Chilwell and Cancelo about even. James and Walker about even.

No way Jorginho or Kovacic start for City. Kante used as a starter for certain games. Don't think Mount would be a regular first choice either, but would get some starts.

CHO. Ziyech. Pulisic. Lukaku. Havertz. Werner, would struggle to make their bench. Pep would never sign players lacking  technical ability like Lukaku or Werner do 

• Like 1

Ham   
2 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

No it isn't!

Mendy and Rudi are as good as City's first choice. Chilwell and Cancelo about even. James and Walker about even.

No way Jorginho or Kovacic start for City. Kante used as a starter for certain games. Don't think Mount would be a regular first choice either, but would get some starts.

CHO. Ziyech. Pulisic. Lukaku. Havertz. Werner, would struggle to make their bench. Pep would never sign players lacking  technical ability like Lukaku or Werner do 

I didn't ask who would individually make Pep's team, I asked whether out first 11 unit plus bench competes with City.  

I hate the sum of it's parts arguments. 

For a number of reasons we look disjointed right now but I maintain our best available team and bench is brilliant when coached by TT.

7 hours ago, Bison said:

It's squad building and club management on a completely different level. They would never spend 300m and end up with Pulisic, Ziyech, Werner, Havertz and Lukaku to show for it. 

Putting aside their very questionable sponsorships, they have become an extremely well run club with a very clear, long-term vision.

Funny thing is though. For all their great talent and football I find it hard to enjoy watching them. Something a bit cold and clinical about them.