11 minutes ago, Ham said:

I didn't ask who would individually make Pep's team, I asked whether out first 11 unit plus bench competes with City.  

I hate the sum of it's parts arguments. 

For a number of reasons we look disjointed right now but I maintain our best available team and bench is brilliant when coached by TT.

We get Chilly and James back fit , everyone else playing without carrying injuries in their favoured position and we're a match for anyone , especially if we have TT at the helm . He's been the difference and personally I apportion no blame to him for our current malaise . We were flying before the key injuries and would have been afforded some rest if the league wasn't worried about us leaving to play in the World Championships. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ham said:

I didn't ask who would individually make Pep's team, I asked whether out first 11 unit plus bench competes with City.  

I hate the sum of it's parts arguments. 

For a number of reasons we look disjointed right now but I maintain our best available team and bench is brilliant when coached by TT.

Still no!

You can't take a few isolated performances where the entire team hits it's absolute peak, and say that's a match for City. After all, West Brom tore us to shreds in a season they were relegated.

We have to judge all teams/squads over entire seasons, and at this moment in time we remain a long way off City. We will remain a long way off until the time comes when we put up a serious challenge for the title, which is now 5 seasons and ticking since the last one.

Ham   
8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

We get Chilly and James back fit , everyone else playing without carrying injuries in their favoured position and we're a match for anyone , especially if we have TT at the helm . He's been the difference and personally I apportion no blame to him for our current malaise . We were flying before the key injuries and would have been afforded some rest if the league wasn't worried about us leaving to play in the World Championships. 

For me, it wasn't meant to be this season. Too much has gone against us. Maybe I'm an optimist but I genuinely believe that we've got the first or second best full squad in the PL.  

chara   
7 minutes ago, Ham said:

For me, it wasn't meant to be this season. Too much has gone against us. Maybe I'm an optimist but I genuinely believe that we've got the first or second best full squad in the PL.  

Yep..it wasn't meant to be this season.....the players unavailable, whatever the cause, were not really "system" replaceable because often the alternative players were out as well.

I believe we have an unbalanced squad but even taking that into account if all players are available for selection it's hard not to agree with Ham.

I still think the squad needs "culling" and any incoming players should be in accord with a long term policy as envisioned by TT.

Ham   
2 minutes ago, chara said:

Yep..it wasn't meant to be this season.....the players unavailable, whatever the cause, were not really "system" replaceable because often the alternative players were out as well.

I believe we have an unbalanced squad but even taking that into account if all players are available for selection it's hard not to agree with Ham.

I still think the squad needs "culling" and any incoming players should be in accord with a long term policy as envisioned by TT.

Agreed. If this season has shown us anything it's who from the squad is not ultimately going to cut it. 

44 minutes ago, chara said:

Yep.

44 minutes ago, chara said:

And again. It's the only approach that makes any sense.

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

We get Chilly and James back fit 

I think this is the exact reason we are not in the title race. The last 2 games they played together we won 3-0 at Leicester and 4-0 against Juventus (3-0 when Chilly had to come off). 

Their partnership was crucial to the run we had when we were top. 

5 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Putting aside their very questionable sponsorships, they have become an extremely well run club with a very clear, long-term vision.

Funny thing is though. For all their great talent and football I find it hard to enjoy watching them. Something a bit cold and clinical about them. 

that's because you're not a city supporter

we were cold and clinical during JM's first spell and we all loved it  

Floyd25   
1 hour ago, r.bartlett said:

that's because you're not a city supporter

we were cold and clinical during JM's first spell and we all loved it  

Difference is though they were garbage before they were taken over, they’re owned by a dodgy UAE organisation. They have a cheque book manager who’s never taken a tricky job in his life and no one apart from a United really dislikes them intensely, it’s all a bit boring. 

Edited by Floyd25

2 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

Difference is though they were garbage before they were taken over, they’re owned by a dodgy UAE organisation. They have a cheque book manager who’s never taken a tricky job in his life and no one apart from a United really dislikes them intensely, it’s all a bit boring. 

This is part of what I was trying to get to when I said they’re not really a proper club. It’s hard to explain, but they just feel a bit, well, pointless.

They don’t really have a rivalry anywhere, even Man United just dislike them, but it’s not really a rivalry, as much as Sky would like us to believe it is.

It just feels like a new side put together in short burst, rather than a club built up over time.

Some will say we were/are the same, but for me we are very different clubs.

• Like 1