While the tiredness is a huge huge factor, on the other hand we could have closed so many of these dropped points before the opposition equalised.

What Jose calls "moments". 

Yesterday CHO had a chance to make it 2-0 (or was it 2-1?) and he blazed it over. There are countless examples from previous games. 

Why are we allergic to taking our chances? Is it psychological? Technical? 

13 minutes ago, Ham said:

Or just a mini break.  That'll work wonders.

Games since 1 December;

Screenshot_20220119-085757_Twitter.jpg

Do we have one coming? We are only half way through the season and Tuchel is saying the players were too tired to even celebrate Zyechs first half goal!! He is rotating but no one comes on with a spring in their step and their hat at a jaunty angle. Normally there's a couple of players dragging the team forward when bad form or bad fitness takes hold. I have seen Hazard do it, I have even seen Willian try to do it single handidly, but I looked through the team and subs yesterday and saw no one. Actually tbf Silva played well, but a CB can't change a game. 

My concern is that you are right and this is fatigue, because that's the worse case scenario. Form can return but fatigue can only get worse. I don't want to scare anyone but we are in all compts and entering the meat and drink part of the season. And If they suddenly start playing well the accusation will be " well what the hell happened to the last 12 games...did you all just drink a can of red bull? "

( but a happy New year to you anyway!)

JaneB   

I absolutely understand what everyone is saying about the players being exhausted etc. etc. but that doesn't excuse the fact that we keep paying out shedloads of money for players who continually disappoint and don't live up to their supposed reputations.  It's such an anti-climax and I'm getting fed up with it.

When the player you most enjoy seeing in a Chelsea shirt is Thiago Silva then you know you're in trouble (and absolutely no disrespect to him, he's been magnificent, and I do like to watch great defenders). 

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I just looked it up , Brighton and City have played eleven games since December 1st , City had eight days off before they played us (iirc) , Brighton had two extra days off .

Chelsea have played fifteen times since December 1st 

Four more games .

Four.

With a squad decimated by injuries , illness and fatigue . 

It's absolutely nothing to do with the money and it never has been. 

Brighton have played 9 games since 1 December, not 11.

6 less than us in a 7 weeks period. They had two postponed in December.

And people wonder why they had more energy?

55 minutes ago, Bison said:

That's just how Ziyech is. Has everybody forgotten how he celebrated after scoring for Ajax at Stamford Bridge?

Yes, he is not a wild goal celebrator, but of course, every media outlet are looking for something in it. Sadly, people gobble it up

4 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Do we have one coming?

Yes. Weekend after this one. 

We have played 23 league games, 6 CL games, 5 league cup ties and 1 Fa cup tie so far = 35 games.

To play we have 15 league games, 1 more LC game........and let's say 6 or 7 other cup ties.  That's 22 / 23 games left. We are well over halfway, and hopefully the break, and some players back will be just what we need. 

4 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I absolutely understand what everyone is saying about the players being exhausted etc. etc. but that doesn't excuse the fact that we keep paying out shedloads of money for players who continually disappoint and don't live up to their supposed reputations.  It's such an anti-climax and I'm getting fed up with it.

When the player you most enjoy seeing in a Chelsea shirt is Thiago Silva then you know you're in trouble (and absolutely no disrespect to him, he's been magnificent, and I do like to watch great defenders). 

Adding to this, Azpi was showing more attacking impetus than most of the forwards. 

I have tried not to get embroiled in the Lukaku debate because my opinion of him is tainted by one 20 minute performance about 10 years ago. Seeing as I can't seem to shake it out of my system I figured that my narrative that he is a lazy SOB is my agenda and I need to keep it to myself. But now the genie is out of the bottle so here goes.

It was the super cup final with A.Madrid. It wasn't a nothing game, we really needed that trophy. Lukaku had been banging them in for other teams while on loan but as soon as he pulled on the shirt of the club that was paying him he went from "fox in the box to "fat Labradoor having a snooze by the fire". Anyway the final game of the season arrived as it was brutal. The season had been long and hard ( although Luka had not played many games) but other players had. Luka was a sub. At some point we had a man sent off but we got to extra time with 10 men. Players had fun their feet to bloody stumps but we needed a goal. So on came the 18 year old boy wonder with 20 mins to go. I'm not kidding you, he ambled around that pitch with a gait that suggested he'd just shat himself. He was a discrace. The game went to pens. Up he lazily strolled ,as he had all game , and rolled it into the keepers arms ( or did he miss...can't remember but it was a shocking pen). We lost the shoot out and went home with nothing. Anyone can miss a pen, I know that, but he just looked like he didn't want to be at this club. Same kind of look he has now ten years later. Would we have been any worse keeping Giroux and Tammy and saving our 100 mill for Halland next season? Apparently all the Luka dreams about is playing for Milan again. Let's hope someone from the " make a wish" foundation is listening. 

27 minutes ago, JaneB said:

And he's 97 and played more games than most. Speaks volumes. 

I get the argument that we have played more. But ppl need to remember that we are going to the club WC so there’s not an awful lot of other slots to push our games to. 

However, even if we have played more we still have a vastly superior squad depth to most team in this league. We’ve been in a bad place since end of November with some bad signs showing I’m the beginning of November. I’m not sure TT is rotating the squad in the best possible way. 

So far we have five players who have played 2000 mins + - Mendy, Rudiger, Alonso, Azpilicueta and Jorginho. Compare that to Man C and Liverpool* and I’m not buying the “our players are asked to do something unreasonable” talk. Sounds like poor excuses to me. 

* Man C also has five players with 2000+, Liverpool has six. We don’t have any attacking player with 2000+ mins whereas these two teams have. 

27 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

To play we have 15 league games, 1 more LC game........and let's say 6 or 7 other cup ties.  That's 22 / 23 games left. We are well over halfway, and hopefully the break, and some players back will be just what we need. 

23 games is a lot. They are playing like it's the end of a long season and they are just trying to fall over the line. I'm rather hoping we get knocked out the FA Cup first round and not progress in CL. Let's face it, chances of retaining that are slim and none. Top 4 should be our one and only target. Very disappointing from where we were not so long ago. 

3 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yeah, it’s hard to watch isn’t it? Hopefully the winter break combined with getting away to the CWC will allow the team to reset in some way.

Also, you would think, winning the CWC may provide us with a mid season boost to help with the final push.

What winter break? There isn't one, there's another waste of time international week but that's it