58 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Worryingly he couldn't outsprint him either 

Brighton have played Burns at left-back (I think, certainly in one of the full-back roles)  a good bit too. From watching him in the flesh, he looks quick enough. 

Lukaku is the issue in my view. There’s not a lot to be positive about when reviewing the last three performances. 

Also the team buses were unusually quickly away from the ground last night. We left soon after the game finished with the car parked 30minutes away (nearest parking available! Don’t you love these modern easily accessible out of town grounds!!). 10 minutes in to the drive home on the A27 and just getting onto the A23 we drive past the team coaches/buses. They must have been almost straight into the changing rooms, out of their match day kit into tracksuits and in the coach. 

Edited by East Lower

1 hour ago, asvaberg said:

I know - I was just thinking of collecting the ball facing the wrong way. Agree it's unfair on Lukaku. I really hope he can improve.

He'll soon be 29 years old. It's already looking like he's lost half a yard of pace, so we might well have a player who's already on the down slope, not one who looks like he has the time to improve. 

Holymoly   
5 hours ago, Bison said:

That's just how Ziyech is. Has everybody forgotten how he celebrated after scoring for Ajax at Stamford Bridge?

I don't know, I would love to accept your explanation but the pessimist inside me worries that the green eyed monster of the dressing room at Chelsea FC has stirred once again. Much as I would hate this to be the case I'm afraid that the frustrations brought on by the turn in fortunes and the potential rifts caused by Lukaku have made the players stop playing for the manager. I don't see the smiles when we score that we once did when Chilwell, James and Mount were on the pitch together. The players are no longer enjoying it and if things aren't somehow nipped in the bud we are going to find ourselves in another players vs manager battle that only ever ends with one result. The players know that if things stay the way they are it isn't going to be them that end up getting sacked, their wages preclude us being able to sell them on, it's the manager. If we hadn't won the CL I'm pretty sure that TT would be skating on very thin ice with Roman and the board just now. Fingers crossed things turn around, soon.

Blue Rod   

Something deeper has gone wrong behind the scene; call it dressing room issues. I'm afraid to say that my intuition is once again proving to be right. I do get a lot of flak for it. But as it seems to come.feom the same guys, I have learned to wear it as a badge of honour. All I can do is say what I think and fear. 

No Chelsea manager under RA has ever recovered from the situation that TT is in at the moment. Tuchel may get more time. (And to be fair, Lampard did get his mercy time, even though the end was a foregone conclusion). He can blame the effect of covid. That might buy him another season. My bet is, if he survives this season, he won't last till middle of next.

When I said early in the season that TT may be suffering from the second season syndrome,(SSS) there were many rolled eyes, and as many hands wishing they could reach my throat.  I can now say that his is one of the worst cases of SSS.

His methods can be decoded with a broken Amstrad machine - Win the ball, take a deep breath, keep it, allow opponents to return to their half, then start probing. Keep the middle in shape and exploit the flanks. Opponents have worked out that you can allow Chelsea to pass the ball around while you return to shape, tighten up the middle and wait for the cross. 

If you are going to use Lukaku as a classic old-fashioned 9, you must make sure he is isolated with a single defender. Winning the first ball (with your head, mouth ior backside) is not where it ends. The second ball is what matters. If Lukaku is surrounded by 2 or 3 defenders, he's never going to win that second ball. That is where the early ball becomes a good transition. Costa used to make a party of it. It leaves you 1v1 before others come to the aid of the defender.

Lukaku himself needs to pull his man all over the place, to try and isolate him. If the defender is happy to stick with him, then spaces also open up. All this must happen in transition, not when their 10 players are behind the ball. Lukaku is getting the ball pretty late and surrounded by 2 or three markers. The ball bounces off his shin, and is comfortably collected by the next defender. 

To cut the long story short. Tuchel hasn't progressed his football one bit since the start of the season. The players are completely shot of confidence. Watching them play is like watching a lorry driver who doesn’t know where he's going but must keep the lorry moving.

Edited by Blue Rod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GURJ SS said:

Fans are scapegoating. Lukaku is spending far too much time receiving the ball with his back to goal, he can't get ball on the half turn because we struggle to break a team down through the middle, he's not having crosses played into the box, the long ball distribution from our team is horrendously poor, and the team is leaving him isolated when he's on the ball; no striker in the world can do it all alone.

Has the squad got an issue with him? He spent the whole game asking for teammates to get closer, Mount and CHO spent the time twiddling their thumbs, the moment Havertz comes on not only  crosses start but also Mount and CHO start playing closer to the striker.

When I heard what Lukaku said I was happy for him to leave, since he apologised and the club and manager have decided he can play then he's our striker, but if it means half the team not playing alongside him then I'd rather see those players sit on the bench.

We've got to have some sort of fairness across the board, last night Ziyech was our best attacking player, he fought, chased down, got the ball and looked to make something happen. Lukaku was then behind him, he was up against 2 centre backs and a DM closing him down, and every time he managed to get the ball to a teammate that teammate chose to slow down and pass backwards; in particular CHO and Mount, until the last 5mins both CHO and Mount were nothing short of utter embarrassment and shouldn't start the next game.

I honestly dont think Lukaku is being the scapegoat. CHO, Pulisic, Alonso, Mount, Ziyech ( I disagree about his performance last night. He tried, but apart from his goal I thought he had a poor game) Mount, Havertz, Jorginho, have all been called out over their poor performances. Even Kante last night.  With Lukaku, he just doesn't look anywhere close to being worth the ridiculous transfer fee and obscene wages, so on top of that interview he's going to get a fair bit of stick when he's  not banging in lots of goals. With his limitations, he simply has to be scoring lots of goals, otherwise he's pretty useless and shouldn't be in the team.

31 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Fantastically "positive" (in other words it's not terrible, everyone needs to be sacked and the sky is falling on our heads) review of our situation from of all people Andy Jacobs on Talksport today.

5. Petr Cech should shoulder some of the blame for the lack of cover we are now experiencing. We had seen last season the effects of covid and maybe should have kept more loanees back for just this sort of predicament.

In other words we're not "just crap" all of a sudden, we 're exhausted.

Also, bear in mind that we have only lost 4 games this entire season, already won a trophy, are going for two more in February and are champions of Europe. Our players have played on average every three days since August while the opposition we have faced are playing every 5 or 6 days. No team, no manager could cope with that.

All very sensible stuff.  Not quite sure about 5.  Cech and the lack of cover.  We have a huge squad, and CHO aside all are >21 so none need special nursing.  And all started the season fit and raring to go.
Of the back up players, GK3, Saul and Sarr all look competent for the role they have in the squad (Saul and Sarr are clearly better than their first appearances suggested).  I have my doubts about RLC as a first X1 choice but he seems to be CB 4 or 5 joint with Saul right now.  Barkley is the only player  not up to full standard IMO - and I dare say some will stand up for him too - he is certainly a more usable option than most PL clubs have below 20th in the pecking order.

If anything we have seen the standard reluctance of a top manager to use his full squad which lead to our squad getting thinner and thinner through the 2010s until the 15/16 disaster happened.

8 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Something deeper has gone wrong behind the scene; call it dressing room issues. I'm afraid to say that my intuition is once again proving to be right. I do get a lot of flak for it. But as it seems to come.feom the same guys, I have learned to wear it as a badge of honour. All I can do is say what I think and fear. 

No Chelsea manager under RA has ever recovered from the situation that TT is in at the moment. Tuchel may get more time. (And to be fair, Lampard did get his mercy time, even though the end was a foregone conclusion). He can blame the effect of covid. That might buy him another season. My bet is, if he survives this season, he won't last till middle of next.

When I said early in the season that TT may be suffering from the second season syndrome,(SSS) there were many rolled eyes, and as many hands wishing they could reach my throat.  I can now say that his is one of the worst cases of SSS.

His methods can be decoded with a broken Amstrad machine - Win the ball, take a deep breath, keep it, allow opponents to return to their half, then start probing. Keep the middle in shape and exploit the flanks. Opponents have worked out that you can allow Chelsea to pass the ball around while you return to shape, tighten up the middle and wait for the cross. 

If you are going to use Lukaku as a classic old-fashioned 9, you must make sure he is isolated with a single defender. Winning the first ball (with your head, mouth ior backside) is not where it ends. The second ball is what matters. If Lukaku is surrounded by 2 or 3 defenders, he's never going to win that second ball. That is where the early ball becomes a good transition. Costa used to make a party of it. It leaves you 1v1 before others come to the aid of the defender.

Lukaku himself needs to pull his man all over the place, to try and isolate him. If the defender is happy to stick with him, then spaces also open up. All this must happen in transition, not when their 10 players are behind the ball. Lukaku is getting the ball pretty late and surrounded by 2 or three markers.

To cut the long story short. Tuchel hasn't progressed his football one bit since the start of the season. The players are completely shot of confidence. Watching them play is like watching a lorry driver who doesn’t know where he's going but must keep the lorry moving.

I have the same feelings.

I asked this the other day, but who do we turn too next if TT is sacked next season?  We are not getting anyone better so I can't see the point in sacking him.

I agree that TT hasn't progressed the football, but is it his fault?  Lamps had similar problems as did Sarri before him. 

Defence and keeper is good enough . Then move forward to the engine room of this team that has been tried for 4 seasons now and we are still miles away from winning the title. Almost every single game is the same. We have  the ball around the middle of the pitch midway into the oppositions half. Nobody has the ability to anything with it.  No player who can make the killer, defence splitting pass. Players not capable of the clever, precise one-twos that split defences, so time and again the ball goes wide and we end up spamming hopeful balls into a crowded box. With this, I do have a bit of sympathy for our under performing forwards, but not too much because last night the camera highlighted their lack of movement off the ball which isn't helping matters either.

So, 4 years of this under 3 different managers. I think it's time we started changing some players,  rather than yet another manager.

3 hours ago, asvaberg said:

SuperCup final 2012 Atletico Madrid? Lukaku wasn't there. It did not end in a draw and penalty shootout - it ended 4-1 to AM.

It was the year after, 2013, against Bayern Munich - 2-2 and penalties > 5-4 BM. Lukaku had the last of 5 pens, and missed.

Enjoy, 

Yep sorry it was BM...Same scenario different team!

4 hours ago, East Lower said:

Brighton have played Burns at left-back (I think, certainly in one of the full-back roles)  a good bit too. From watching him in the flesh, he looks quick enough. 

Lukaku is the issue in my view. There’s not a lot to be positive about when reviewing the last three performances. 

Also the team buses were unusually quickly away from the ground last night. We left soon after the game finished with the car parked 30minutes away (nearest parking available! Don’t you love these modern easily accessible out of town grounds!!). 10 minutes in to the drive home on the A27 and just getting onto the A23 we drive past the team coaches/buses. They must have been almost straight into the changing rooms, out of their match day kit into tracksuits and in the coach. 

I don't live far from Brightons ground....where on earth did they park you that was 30 mins away??? Must have been nearly in Worthing!