5 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I don't live far from Brightons ground....where on earth did they park you that was 30 mins away??? Must have been nearly in Worthing! 

We have to use Wild Park to park the car, nearest spot to the ground where you don't run the risk of a ticket. 

By the time we'd walked back there after the game and driven the few miles from there back to the A27/A23 roundabout, the team buses had got to that same place. That meant following the final whistle blowing and them leaving the ground wouldn't have been much more than 25 minutes maximum. No post match niceties, they would have struggled to run through the shower and get a change of gear.

Blue Rod   
3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

I have the same feelings.

I asked this the other day, but who do we turn too next if TT is sacked next season?  We are not getting anyone better so I can't see the point in sacking him.

I agree that TT hasn't progressed the football, but is it his fault?  Lamps had similar problems as did Sarri before him. 

Defence and keeper is good enough . Then move forward to the engine room of this team that has been tried for 4 seasons now and we are still miles away from winning the title. Almost every single game is the same. We have  the ball around the middle of the pitch midway into the oppositions half. Nobody has the ability to anything with it.  No player who can make the killer, defence splitting pass. Players not capable of the clever, precise one-twos that split defences, so time and again the ball goes wide and we end up spamming hopeful balls into a crowded box. With this, I do have a bit of sympathy for our under performing forwards, but not too much because last night the camera highlighted their lack of movement off the ball which isn't helping matters either.

So, 4 years of this under 3 different managers. I think it's time we started changing some players,  rather than yet another manager.

Two major schools of attacking football have evolved in Europe since the 80's - the Arrigo  Sacchi school, and the Dutch total football school.

The Sacchi method is highly prescriptive in terms of the distance you must maintain from key opponent players at the point of transition.  When you see Conte gesticulating like a maniac, he is telling his forwards to keep that distance. It allows you to exploit the space behind the defenders. It is a defence + counterattack school on which Italian football since the 80's is based.

The Dutch total football, which Pep exemplifies is 100% about space, wherever it pops up (rather than your opponents) Your system is a moving jigsaw and you conquer the space and receive the ball. To me, it is the more logical and more natural of the two schools. The person with the ball and the person due to receive it quickky spot the same space, and a pass is executed without delay. No second guessing required. You can apply this in defence, midfield, and attack. Positional discipline is 

It's difficult to tell what Tuchel's attacking philosophy is. Last night, you could hear the pundits were puzzled why there were no movements upfront when a player has the ball. You'd think, next time, we will play the ball out quicker, and there will be lots of movement up front. I doubt it. It looked like some players have already downed tools. 

11 hours ago, bert19 said:

Agree totally.  Between Covid cases, injuries (since October) and the schedule, the last three months have been a hard slog.  Combine that with the knowledge that this squad seem to enjoy a mid-season slump at the best of times and it's not too surprising that we've struggled.  

And if you look at the injury issues, when was the last time Tuchel was able to field his strongest XI? The injuries to Chilwell and Reece have obviously been real blows for us, but even before that, we'd lost Werner, Lukaku, Kante and Kovacic at points.  

Assuming that this was our intended First XI when all are fit, it's been a long time since it was possible: 

Mendy 

Trev Thiago Rudi 

Reece Kante Jorgi Chilwell 

Havertz Lukaku Mount 

The attack does worry me though.  The players are clearly not building relationships, taking responsibility for burying their chances or really doing enough to force mistakes.  This is not a new issue either.  They just don't make good decisions in and around the opposition penalty area.  I think we need to upgrade on at least two of our attackers this summer. 

Ziyech's Morata-like reaction to his goal sort of summed him up for me.  Though I have to say, I didn't mind him telling Lukaku where to stick himself after he got moaned at.  

Romelu is clearly a problem.  For a left-footed CF, he seems to really go with that run down the right channel forcing himself onto his weaker foot whilst running away from goal.  I'm also getting the impression that the other players don't like him and are almost making sure he doesn't see the ball.  Which is a bit concerning too.  

I think they'll all benefit from a few days off - I want to see plenty of beach photos on social media pages.  Then hopefully we can address the CWC with a bit more energy and vigour before the big business of sorting the squad out moves into gear for the summer

Mendy 

Trev Thiago Rudi 

Reece Kante Jorgi Chilwell

Havertz/Mount

Lukaku        Werner

subs Kepa mount/havertz azpilicueta CHO

Ziyech Kovacic Pulisic, Christensen Alonso/Loftus Cheek

That is a strong squad and next year could add Gallagher & Broja plan for defensive changes and maybe get someone like Rice 

Ham   

Spurs 2-1 down after 94 minutes score 2 goals in 2 minutes to win it 

Good thing they were well rested. 

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Ham said:

Spurs 2-1 down after 94 minutes score 2 goals in 2 minutes to win it 

Good thing they were well rested. 

Here's a question.

Both Leicester and Spurs had no game at the weekend, so why didn't they play Tuesday and us tonight?

Ham   
3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Here's a question.

Both Leicester and Spurs had no game at the weekend, so why didn't they play Tuesday and us tonight?

Petr Cech did raise the question but no reply.  

Holymoly   
7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

If anything we have seen the standard reluctance of a top manager to use his full squad which lead to our squad getting thinner and thinner through the 2010s until the 15/16 disaster happened.

I think that is a criticism of every single manager at every club in the country over the last 20 years, SAF aside. Here at CFC we've been pleading with managers to make more use of the Academy since Josh McEachran but because of Roman's twitchy trigger finger managers have all known there is no point playing the long game. It just so happens it's a policy that has worked for us, and continues to work for us. What puts the lie to your point however is that replace the manager and I can almost guarantee that the players will start playing again. It's happened time and time again.

What's frustrating though is that it's a win/win for most concerned. If the manager get's sacked, ca-ching it's a nice pay day. The players continue to get paid their obscene wages that preclude the opportunity to offload them and the owner has a fair chance of the club returning to winning ways. Unfortunately it's us the poor dumb supporters, the only ones that truly love the club, that have to watch the the heart and soul of CFC wither away into just another football club.

chara   
13 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I think that is a criticism of every single manager at every club in the country over the last 20 years, SAF aside. Here at CFC we've been pleading with managers to make more use of the Academy since Josh McEachran but because of Roman's twitchy trigger finger managers have all known there is no point playing the long game. It just so happens it's a policy that has worked for us, and continues to work for us. What puts the lie to your point however is that replace the manager and I can almost guarantee that the players will start playing again. It's happened time and time again.

What's frustrating though is that it's a win/win for most concerned. If the manager get's sacked, ca-ching it's a nice pay day. The players continue to get paid their obscene wages that preclude the opportunity to offload them and the owner has a fair chance of the club returning to winning ways. Unfortunately it's us the poor dumb supporters, the only ones that truly love the club, that have to watch the the heart and soul of CFC wither away into just another football club.

A Heartfelt post from a True Blue,,thanks Hm.

BUT...we won't let that happen will we...from us Old Geezers to CarefreeM .....a bad week and we are all despondent and/or angry.

This too shall pass...as it always does eventually.

I'm sure if you and I had crossed paths at SB back in the bad old days (and we probably did!) we would have been saying the same things as we are now!...WE remember when youngsters came into the side because there were no real alternatives and few enough of them really broke through long term...different times of course but throwing youngsters into a title challenge..as was... can be harmful to the challenge and the youngster.

14 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Roman's twitchy trigger finger managers have all known there is no point playing the long game. It just so happens it's a policy that has worked for us, and continues to work for us. 

Problem is though, in terms of winning or even challenging for the title, it's no longer actually working for us anymore.

Up until Conte won the league, it always felt like we were capable of winning or at the very least challenge for it. If not with the current manager of that season, then the next one would do it.  

Five years since the last title and not close to a challenge since we won it. City and Liverpool have stolen a march on us with stability and long-term planning. There is no quick fix to winning another title. Roman and the board have got to start showing patience and give the manager a proper amount of time to sort this team and squad out. Stick by TT,  even if we fail to get top four this season.

Floyd25   
4 hours ago, Ham said:

Petr Cech did raise the question but no reply.  

I get more disinterested in this league every year, it’s a farce, I rarely watch anything other than Chelsea. Perhaps a breakaway league wouldn’t be such a bad thing after all. 

Edited by Floyd25