1 goal

1 assist

Ziyech

1 goal

2 assists

Lukaku

5 goals

0 assists

The combined cost for these 5 players is approximately £311m.

So my question is, what's the issue? Why are they all underperforming?

33 minutes ago, Bison said:

As of Monday 17th January, these are the Premier League stats:

Havertz

2 league goals

1 assist

Pulisic

3 goals

0 assist

Werner

1 goal

1 assist

Ziyech

1 goal

2 assists

Lukaku

5 goals

0 assists

I'll need to look up the stats to confirm this statement, but I don't think this is a new issue, I feel like we've had this issue for 3/4 or more seasons now. It was masked by Hazard for a long time as well.

They aren't technically deficient players. They just aren't consistent enough.

Pulisic's finish against Liverpool was beautiful, Hazard esque. But it will be once in a blue moon we see that from him. 

Lukaku had a clear header chance home and away against Spurs, a one on one away at Spurs and a one on one away against City. But he scored 0 out of 4. He surely has to score 2/4 of those chances, those are the chances we bought him for?

Ziyech provided a beauty of an assist to Werner against Spurs at home, Werner squandered the chance. Ziyech then bungles a simple pass for Lukaku away at City. 

Werner seems to get into the goal scoring positions even more often than Lukaku and bungles the finishes. But you look at the goals he does score and it's clear he is capable. 

Kai is young enough to be excused from serious scrutiny compared to the others in my opinion.

We were used to Lampard, Fabregas, Hazard, Costa and Drogba getting it right nearly every time. They need to watch some goal and assist compilations of these legends to instil some bloody mindedness in themselves. 

Edited by CarefreeMuratcan

Bison   

Pulisic pulls off a disappearing act

Expectations were high when Chelsea’s executives shook hands on the £58m deal that brought the much sought-after signature of Christian Pulisic, the man who the club’s director, Marina Granovskaia, hoped would “become an important player for many years to come”. Three years and 95 Chelsea appearances later, the American is yet to match that description and has too rarely given the impression that he might ever do so. At Manchester City he was a non-presence, seeing little of the ball and doing nothing with it when he did. City are about as tough as opponents come but big money demands to be repaid on big occasions. Pulisic has the talent and temperament to deliver in such fixtures – his elegant goal against Liverpool this month was proof of that – but too often he seems content to exist on the periphery of matches rather than bend them to his will. At 23, time is on his side – though the Chelsea hierarchy are not exactly known for their patience.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jan/17/premier-league-10-talking-points-from-the-weekends-action

20/21 Premier League

Werner - 35 apps 6 goals
Mount - 36 apps 6 goals
Abraham - 22 apps 6 goal
Giroud - 17 apps 4 goals
Havertz - 27 apps 4 goals
Pulisic - 27 apps 4 goals
CHO - 23 apps - 2 goals
Ziyech - 23 apps 2 goals

19/20 Premier League

Abraham - 34 apps 15 goals
Willian - 36 apps 9 goals
Pulisic - 25 apps 9 goals
Giroud - 18 apps 8 goals
Mount - 37 apps 7 goals
Batshuayi - 16 apps 1 goal
CHO - 22 apps 1 goal
Pedro - 11 apps 1 goal

18/19 Premier League

Hazard - 37 apps 16 goals
Pedro - 31 apps 8 goals
Morata - 16 apps 5 goals
Higuain - 14 apps 5 goals
Willian - 32 apps 3 goals
Giroud - 27 apps 2 goals

17/18 Premier League

Hazard - 34 apps 12 goals
Morata - 31 apps 11 goals
Willian - 36 apps 6 goals
Pedro - 31 apps 4 goals
Giroud - 13 apps 3 goals
Batshuayi - 12 apps 2 goals

You have to go back to the 16/17 season for the last time we had a player score 20 goals and that was Costa. 

When you compare it to Man City and Liverpool. Last season Man City only had 2 players with 10 or more last season (Gundogan 13 and Sterling 10) and then 3 players with 9 goals and the season before that they had 5 players with 10 or more (Sterling 20, Aguero 16, Jesus 14, De Bruyne 13, Mahrez 11) and Liverpool last season had 2 with 10 or more (Salah 22, Mane 11 and Firmino and Jota with 9 each) and the season before they again had just 2 with 10 or more, but they were high scoring (Salah 19, Mane 18 and Firmino with 9)

When I look at the numbers it's clear that Manchester City has built a squad to share the goals around but at a good output for each of the attacking players and Liverpool have put most of their eggs in a much smaller basket, hoping Salah and Mane stay fit to give them a large output, but still have a couple of decent options to fill in as needed. Chelsea seems to have tried to go down the Man City route, but it just isn't working either due to player quality or something else.

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Bison said:

you can add CHO to that list, with 1 goal, in a 7-0 win.

Is it partly because we have 7 attackers, all of whom are at a similar level, and we never tend to play the same combinations.

I bet if you look through the 22 league games, how often, for different reasons, have the same front 3 started a game? It can't help fluidity. 

Liverpool, as an example, if they have a fully fit squad, you know the front 3 is Mane, Salah then Jota/Firmino. If we have a fully fit squad, who is the front 3? Anyone's guess, and I bet we would all submit a different answer on personal preference 

RDCW   

It also looks like we would have been better off sticking with and developing Tammy, rather than wasting £98 million on Lukaku. 

Bison   
2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

20/21 Premier League

Werner - 35 apps 6 goals
Mount - 36 apps 6 goals
Abraham - 22 apps 6 goal
Giroud - 17 apps 4 goals
Havertz - 27 apps 4 goals
Pulisic - 27 apps 4 goals
CHO - 23 apps - 2 goals
Ziyech - 23 apps 2 goals

19/20 Premier League

Abraham - 34 apps 15 goals
Willian - 36 apps 9 goals
Pulisic - 25 apps 9 goals
Giroud - 18 apps 8 goals
Mount - 37 apps 7 goals
Batshuayi - 16 apps 1 goal
CHO - 22 apps 1 goal
Pedro - 11 apps 1 goal

18/19 Premier League

Hazard - 37 apps 16 goals
Pedro - 31 apps 8 goals
Morata - 16 apps 5 goals
Higuain - 14 apps 5 goals
Willian - 32 apps 3 goals
Giroud - 27 apps 2 goals

17/18 Premier League

Hazard - 34 apps 12 goals
Morata - 31 apps 11 goals
Willian - 36 apps 6 goals
Pedro - 31 apps 4 goals
Giroud - 13 apps 3 goals
Batshuayi - 12 apps 2 goals

You have to go back to the 16/17 season for the last time we had a player score 20 goals and that was Costa. 

When you compare it to Man City and Liverpool. Last season Man City only had 2 players with 10 or more last season (Gundogan 13 and Sterling 10) and then 3 players with 9 goals and the season before that they had 5 players with 10 or more (Sterling 20, Aguero 16, Jesus 14, De Bruyne 13, Mahrez 11) and Liverpool last season had 2 with 10 or more (Salah 22, Mane 11 and Firmino and Jota with 9 each) and the season before they again had just 2 with 10 or more, but they were high scoring (Salah 19, Mane 18 and Firmino with 9)

When I look at the numbers it's clear that Manchester City has built a squad to share the goals around but at a good output for each of the attacking players and Liverpool have put most of their eggs in a much smaller basket, hoping Salah and Mane stay fit to give them a large output, but still have a couple of decent options to fill in as needed. Chelsea seems to have tried to go down the Man City route, but it just isn't working either due to player quality or something else.

Thanks for this post.

I absolutely believe it's to do with player quality. Not sure what the something else can be? I think it's pretty clear by now that 311m has been badly spent. I bet Tuchel and the manager after him will be sacrificed before this group of forwards are held accountable.

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

you can add CHO to that list, with 1 goal, in a 7-0 win.

Is it partly because we have 7 attackers, all of whom are at a similar level, and we never tend to play the same combinations.

I bet if you look through the 22 league games, how often, for different reasons, have the same front 3 started a game? It can't help fluidity. 

Liverpool, as an example, if they have a fully fit squad, you know the front 3 is Mane, Salah then Jota/Firmino. If we have a fully fit squad, who is the front 3? Anyone's guess, and I bet we would all submit a different answer on personal preference 

I think of any of them were durable, clinical and/or creative at a good level there wouldn't be nearly as much chopping and changing. Tuchel seems like a desperate manager trying all sorts of combinations to make something happen and getting little return.

2 minutes ago, Bison said:

Thanks for this post.

I absolutely believe it's to do with player quality. Not sure what the something else can be? I think it's pretty clear by now that 311m has been badly spent. I bet Tuchel and the manager after him will be sacrificed before this group of forwards are held accountable.

Time may well prove me wrong, but I actually think Tuchel is going to be backed, as long as we stay in the top 3. I think we may well see a few outgoings this summer of our more attacking players and Tuchel will get a chance next season with a couple of his ‘own’ players.

1 minute ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Time may well prove me wrong, but I actually think Tuchel is going to be backed, as long as we stay in the top 3. I think we may well see a few outgoings this summer of our more attacking players and Tuchel will get a chance next season with a couple of his ‘own’ players.

In which case Marina is going to be really busy, given we still have 3 defenders potentially leaving in the summer who will need replacing!