Bison

Chelsea's forward issues

paulw66   
9 minutes ago, Bison said:

Also, I constantly hear how great a playmaker Jorginho is. Why can't he do what Fabregas did?

therein lies the problem, in part, to the formation.

Our two CM sit in front of the 3, which allows the Wing backs to play very high. That is why our CMs score very few, and our WBs (when they were fit) were getting a lot. 

If we went to a back 4, then had an extra man in midfield, you would find at least one of those midfielders getting further forward 

Bison   
27 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

therein lies the problem, in part, to the formation.

Our two CM sit in front of the 3, which allows the Wing backs to play very high. That is why our CMs score very few, and our WBs (when they were fit) were getting a lot. 

If we went to a back 4, then had an extra man in midfield, you would find at least one of those midfielders getting further forward 

I always thought Mount could play that #8 role. He's got the legs, the work rate and above average creativity. I think he ends up playing further forward because the alternatives are worse.

Also a really good, detailed analysis here if anybody wants to read - https://chicagodmitry.medium.com/examining-chelsea-chance-creation-in-the-first-half-of-2021-2022-season-6075080b0dc1

4 minutes ago, Bison said:

I always thought Mount could play that #8 role. He's got the legs, the work rate and above average creativity. I think he ends up playing further forward because the alternatives are worse.

Also a really good, detailed analysis here if anybody wants to read - https://chicagodmitry.medium.com/examining-chelsea-chance-creation-in-the-first-half-of-2021-2022-season-6075080b0dc1

It's an interesting read and quite an eye opener , however , these Lukaku stats are pre Inter-gate and I firmly believe he's downed tools since , sulking . 

chara   
39 minutes ago, Bison said:

How many assists do Fabinho, Henderson and Milner get?

How many assists do Rodri, Fernandinho contribute?

Also, I constantly hear how great a playmaker Jorginho is. Why can't he do what Fabregas did?

I consider Jorginho a recycler not a playmaker as such...very good at what he does but never quite the killer pass in his tool box.

The problem is still not Jorginho in front of goal..or rather the taking of chances....as I mentioned somewhere else,,great goal from Kova,,,but when did he last contribute with a goal?.....no one is racking up any sort of total......

No one is frightening the defenses....the "keeping them honest" scenario..

I get a split screen image of two games.. Hazard on one side.and Lukaku on the other...Hazard is having one of his less attentive games..a "Did I turn off the iron?..and what was it the missus asked me to pick up on the way home?" left wing wandering....on the other Lukaku is forever pointing but not moving and laying off the odd ball that comes to him...meanwhile the oppo defence is watching Hazard like chickens watch circling hawks whilst Lukaku's lot are getting on with the main business waiting for him to turn up in their area of responsibility before worrying about him....Eden settles his questions..realises he is on the pitch...picks up a wayward pass...bursts along the edge of the area..plants the ball in the bottom left corner and Chelsea are one up........Lukaku finally sees the ball where he has pointed to...he lumbers forward...the nearest defender strolls over and claims the ball...knocks a long ball forward that bounces cruelly for the Chelsea defence and a non scoring long term player pounces on the ball and Chelsea go 0-1 after 79% of the ball.

An Old Geezer's ramblings?.....let me know how many of you can relate to the above!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chara said:

I consider Jorginho a recycler not a playmaker as such...very good at what he does but never quite the killer pass in his tool box.

The problem is still not Jorginho in front of goal..or rather the taking of chances....as I mentioned somewhere else,,great goal from Kova,,,but when did he last contribute with a goal?.....no one is racking up any sort of total......

No one is frightening the defenses....the "keeping them honest" scenario..

I get a split screen image of two games.. Hazard on one side.and Lukaku on the other...Hazard is having one of his less attentive games..a "Did I turn off the iron?..and what was it the missus asked me to pick up on the way home?" left wing wandering....on the other Lukaku is forever pointing but not moving and laying off the odd ball that comes to him...meanwhile the oppo defence is watching Hazard like chickens watch circling hawks whilst Lukaku's lot are getting on with the main business waiting for him to turn up in their area of responsibility before worrying about him....Eden settles his questions..realises he is on the pitch...picks up a wayward pass...bursts along the edge of the area..plants the ball in the bottom left corner and Chelsea are one up........Lukaku finally sees the ball where he has pointed to...he lumbers forward...the nearest defender strolls over and claims the ball...knocks a long ball forward that bounces cruelly for the Chelsea defence and a non scoring long term player pounces on the ball and Chelsea go 0-1 after 79% of the ball.

An Old Geezer's ramblings?.....let me know how many of you can relate to the above!

Totally, Hazard had many of those kind of afternoons, and yes we gave away one goal leads back then too. this season a few too many times for comfort. Getting that killer second goal is and always was important

Ruudboy   
4 hours ago, RDC Williams said:

It also looks like we would have been better off sticking with and developing Tammy, rather than wasting £98 million on Lukaku. 

Can't disagree with that .... always felt that was an error .....

Teams sit back and you score with the extra players you manage to get in the box or from all the set pieces you get - so defenders score.

In the few games we have had where teams haven't sat, our forwards have scored.
It really is that simple, and widely understood outside this forum.

Just now, Droy was my hero said:

Teams sit back and you score with the extra players you manage to get in the box or from all the set pieces you get - so defenders score.

It's exactly why Lukaku scored loads of goals for WBA and Everton , nobody sits back against them because they rate their chances , teams that would freely attack WBA and Everton are far more cautious against Chelsea .

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's exactly why Lukaku scored loads of goals for WBA and Everton , nobody sits back against them because they rate their chances , teams that would freely attack WBA and Everton are far more cautious against Chelsea .

It's not a Lukaku thing, it is a football thing.  No point blaming Lukaku (or Werner or whoever) for us having a lot of possession.
Plenty of players have played CF for weak teams in the prem and not scored goals like Lukaku.

Bison   
5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

So teams sitting back excuses the pitiful return from £311m worth of forwards?