Bison

Chelsea's forward issues

paulw66   
14 hours ago, RDC Williams said:

You pompous, obnoxious fool. 

Really? 

• Like 1

Kezza   

Are teams sitting back a problem for City or Liverpool?

It’s a Chelsea thing. We are not creative or mobile enough to play like City or Liverpool consistently. 

Our forwards have not really scored that many goals for quite a while, at a guess I would say only Costa and Drogba have scored 20 league goals in a season in the past 20 odd years and only once each. Guessing though like I say.

Personally I dont care, we've won everything and will continue to carry on winning. This horrendous set of players and manager won the champions League and has been to two other finals in less than a year. That's 3 finals in less than 12 months. Sack the manager, sell the players and get rid of the board.

Even winning the champions League for the second time in our history isn't enough for some, makes us a cup team or some bollox, we were 9th when Tuchel took over and hadn't even come close to challenging for the league in years. One year later we are comfortably top three in the league, got to 3 cup finals and won the biggest trophy in club football yet it's not good enough. One year from 9th to that and you moan like spoilt little children. 

Some of you don't not deserve to be associated with this football club you are a complete embarrassment but I guess you will just carry on watching your illegal streams and being negative with random names on a random forum. Must really enjoy your football.

Edited by Martin1905
  • Like 2

And before anyone says we are not comfortably top 3 we are comfortably one of the top 3 sides in this league. By a long way, just been a ridiculous season on so many levels.

Edited by Martin1905

Ham   

Quote from Joe Cole.  Discuss:

Joe Cole "I think basically it's not about Lukaku.you can sign the hottest striker in the world and won't still score in this Chelsea team."

Joe Cole "Take Timo Werner or Pulisic to a team like Liverpool where they transition the ball faster and midfielders don't ignore the runs of forward players and see how these guys will bang goals."

Joe Cole "Something has to change and quick enough.for Tuchel to reaffirm early this season that Signing Lukaku was not just the boards decision but his as well means he has no choice but to find the right balance in the team as well.it could be his success or downfall."

Rob B   

Our attacking problems are a mixture of poor tactics/managerial issues to solve and poor performance from multi-million players IMO.

Firstly, we need to get over the fact that teams sit deep against us.  This is nothing new and all big teams that dominate the  have to contend this.  (I would have Spurs and Man United as more counter-attacking teams and will have more space) 

In terms of this issues that I think TT has to fix, I would probably summarise it as the following: 

• Lack of chemistry from constant chopping and changing.  I saw a stat which was along the lines of TT not playing the same front three in consecutive games once this season - which is crazy if true. 

• Speed of attack / getting the ball forward. We have an unnecessary tendency to over-play the ball, sideways and backwards a lot, which allows the opposition to get back into shape.  We need to take more risks and be more direct at times.

• Lukaku.  I wasn’t against the signing and still think he will heavily contribute for us, but he has stifled our attack because we are now less fluid. Previously, the front 3 all used to move around which pulled defenders about and was unpredictable, whereas Lukaku now solely occupies this central position. TT needs to address how to get the best of him. 

In terms of the players, I have serious doubts on whether Werner, Ziyech and even Pulisic are good enough to be playing week in, week out for a team with title challenge aspirations.  Werner simply isn’t technically good enough, he’s not strong or physical, he can’t beat a man despite being rapid, panics on the ball and is never going to change games for us consistently.  Ziyech is simply one of the most inconsistent players I’ve ever come across.  World class on his day and horrid on others. Pulisic very similar to Ziyech but suspect his is more around injuries - possibly physically and mentally.  As per another post of he also has a tendency to over-dribble and needs to look up. 

In summary, I think TT needs to start working with a smaller core that starts to build some chemistry ie  Mount, Havertz and Lukaku either as a front two with Mount behind them,  or a front three. 

I would then have CHO and probably 1 of the above as rotation options, and review in the summer. 

58 minutes ago, Ham said:

Joe Cole "I think basically it's not about Lukaku.you can sign the hottest striker in the world and won't still score in this Chelsea team."

Joe Cole "Take Timo Werner or Pulisic to a team like Liverpool where they transition the ball faster and midfielders don't ignore the runs of forward players and see how these guys will bang goals."

Joe Cole "Something has to change and quick enough.for Tuchel to reaffirm early this season that Signing Lukaku was not just the boards decision but his as well means he has no choice but to find the right balance in the team as well.it could be his success or downfall."

I understand this but it's not quite as simple for me , Werner has had loads of chances and missed a load of them , Lukaku had two good chances against Brighton , no goals , Two against City , no goals . 

I think the issue is that our midfield is not great at getting the ball forward quickly enough because firstly they're covering the two slower wing backs we are currently being forced into playing and then there is the issue of Jorginho's lack of mobility and physicality with Kova and Kante doing his running , and his game essentially taking place on the edge of our area.

In my opinion we need to sell Jorginho whilst his stock is so high and replace him with someone mobile enough to free off the other two even though he's good at what he does.

It's mainly not working quite as well due to the tired legs of Azpillicueta and Alonso who as much as they've been great servants to the club are on their last legs 

More pace in midfield with less running to cover Jorginho and better options at wing back and we would be fine I reckon.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I understand this but it's not quite as simple for me , Werner has had loads of chances and missed a load of them , Lukaku had two good chances against Brighton , no goals , Two against City , no goals . 

I think the issue is that our midfield is not great at getting the ball forward quickly enough because firstly they're covering the two slower wing backs we are currently being forced into playing and then there is the issue of Jorginho's lack of mobility and physicality with Kova and Kante doing his running , and his game essentially taking place on the edge of our area.

In my opinion we need to sell Jorginho whilst his stock is so high and replace him with someone mobile enough to free off the other two even though he's good at what he does.

It's mainly not working quite as well due to the tired legs of Azpillicueta and Alonso who as much as they've been great servants to the club are on their last legs 

More pace in midfield with less running to cover Jorginho and better options at wing back and we would be fine I reckon.

I would agree with this. A lot of people don't seem to appreciate quite how important Chilwell and James were to us, not just with the goals but in how they allowed us to play. They created such a huge problem for the opposition by filling the positions they did but with the ability to still get back and defend when needed, it forced the opposition to break from formation leaving gaps for others to move into.

Jorginho does need to move on as well, I'm not his biggest fan but I'm by no means as against him as some others, but I just feel that when he is in the side we become very slow and predictable and his lack of mobility and ability to tackle means that other players have to cover for him so much. This summer feels like the best time to let him go for good money and bring in a replacement. The only concern I would have is losing his leadership qualities, so that needs to be covered somehow as well.

In terms of what we can do now in attack, I would bring Havertz in for Lukaku, because we seem so much more fluid when he plays and whilst we're missing both Chilwell and James I think we need that fluidity up front more than ever, to keep the opposition thinking. When Lukaku plays, everyone on the pitch knows where he'll be standing and it also limits the space our other 2 attacking players can move into... I don't think it's a coincidence that Mounts form has dropped off now we play with a big bulky number 9 who stays central 95% of the time.

5 hours ago, Ham said:

Trying to be brief here...

On the whole I agree with Joe Cole, with certain caveats. We have at times moved (or "transitioned") quickly, but those occasions have been rare. Generally we are a fairly pedestrian side capable of quick, slick movements, but with too many players capable of such movement erring on the side of caution.

However, I'm not sure Tuchel can do all that much about it just now. Kovacic, Kante and Jorginho aren't going to turn into a Fabregas style player overnight. Maybe Gallagher returning next season might go some way to us becoming more dynamic? But it'll need more than just him coming into the midfield, at the expense of players who have won titles and cups for us in the past.

Personally, I think we play far better when we adopt the more fluid front three made up of any one of the following; Mount, Havertz, Werner, Pulisic, with CHO and Ziyech providing fresh legs off the bench. Of course, we play far better when everyone is available and not knackered from overplaying.

As for 'finding the right balance'... Lukaku was a mistake. He wasn't what was needed. If anything he's made the side unbalanced.

I just wish the Club had gone all out for Haaland last Summer. It surely wasn't a definitive no from Dortmund. Something could have turned their heads.