exiledblue

Thank You Roman

Like most sports fans, I've experienced  some incredible highs and lows over the years, but only two times have I actually actually cried - seeing us win the title at Bolton and winning the CL in 2012.  

So a massive thank you Roman!

I was 17 or 18 when he bought us, so in the sense that I paid very little attention to things like who owned or ran the business side of things as a child, Roman is the only owner I've really known. Very strange to think someone else will own us and that will likely mean a different culture, ethos and so on.

I hope his foundation has every success and makes all the difference he hopes for. 

Edited by thevelourfog

Bison   
14 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I was 17 or 18 when he bought us, so in the sense that I paid very little attention to things like who owned or ran the business side of things as a child, Roman is the only owner I've really known. Very strange to think someone else will own us and that will likely mean a different culture, ethos and so on.

I hope his foundation has every success and makes all the difference he hopes for. 

Same. I was 17 years old in 2003 and just remember waking up every day to a new signing. I didn't really know what an Oligarch was and to be honest, I didn't really care.

Through his ownership, I've seen us do things I didn't think were possible. Several times over. And for that I am forever grateful. Thanks and good luck.

Ham   
1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

Always knew you were Roman in disguise.

Exiled Blue is probably the most apt name too 🤣

Brilliant 😄

Sciatika   

There have been times that I have felt a bit uncomfortable, mainly when people called on Roman to spend more and more money, but mostly it has been a breeze. I think, in the end, Roman genuinely loved our club just like we do. The sight of him in his box heading the ball is one that I will hold forever. Of course, he hasn't always got it right - who has? - but the times he had it wrong can be counted on the fingers of one hand and I can see why he acted in the way he did. And at the end of all that, he has guided us into the hands of a new owner with the best will in the world and that makes me very happy. I will miss him, but life goes on. No one is more important than the club. All we need now is a decent win from Real Madrid to make a glorious end to the season and then we can look forward to all the trials and tribulations that next season will bring.   

3 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Always knew you were Roman in disguise.

Exiled Blue is probably the most apt name too 🤣

oh my secret is out

chara   

A classy heartfelt farewell from Roman.

I leave it to others here to Hazard a guess as to any Glazer goodbye offering.

Chrisb   

Uncle Ken was at the helm when I started following and he spent a whole £1 to get his hands on us (obviously more since we were in financial trouble at the time). I remember being gobsmacked when rumours of us signing Ruud Gullit first surfaced and refusing to believe it until I’d seen a picture of him in a Chelsea shirt in my Onside paper (clubs monthly paper for club members/season ticket holders for those of you not old enough to remember!). From then on the club went from strength to strength, Mathew Harding added his help to the cause but we could never seem to quite reach the pinnacle until Roman arrived. He truly was the best owner in football and took us to places and finals I never thought I’d see. Thank you Roman for everything you’ve done.
The king is dead, long live the king.

14 minutes ago, Chrisb said:

Uncle Ken was at the helm when I started following and he spent a whole £1 to get his hands on us (obviously more since we were in financial trouble at the time). I remember being gobsmacked when rumours of us signing Ruud Gullit first surfaced and refusing to believe it until I’d seen a picture of him in a Chelsea shirt in my Onside paper (clubs monthly paper for club members/season ticket holders for those of you not old enough to remember!). From then on the club went from strength to strength, Mathew Harding added his help to the cause but we could never seem to quite reach the pinnacle until Roman arrived. He truly was the best owner in football and took us to places and finals I never thought I’d see. Thank you Roman for everything you’ve done.
The king is dead, long live the king.

All true, but let's also not underestimate how significant a part Bates and Harding played in our history. 

Bates  saw the club through the most desperate of times, on and off the pitch. Just staying alive as a club and staying at the bridge was all we could hope to do at one time. Bates saved this club and Harding's money got the ball rolling. Without either of them, there would have been no Roman to take us to the top.