Sign in to follow this  
RDC Williams

The great Shane Warne

Shane Warne has died of a heart attack, aged just 52! What a shock! I am really saddened to hear of the untimely demise of the world's greatest ever leg spinner.

He was a patriotic Aussie who was also well loved this side of the world too - a very rare thing indeed. I enjoyed his insights on Sky and elsewhere. It's a sad blow for the cricket World.

34 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:

Shane Warne has died of a heart attack, aged just 52! What a shock! I am really saddened to hear of the untimely demise of the world's greatest ever leg spinner.

He was a patriotic Aussie who was also well loved this side of the world too - a very rare thing indeed. I enjoyed his insights on Sky and elsewhere. It's a sad blow for the cricket World.

You forgot this guy, who also sadly died today

274902843_10158112749951986_5037660321843873962_n.jpg

Just now, Bob Singleton said:

You forgot this guy, who also sadly died today

274902843_10158112749951986_5037660321843873962_n.jpg

Yes, a sad loss, but not as shocking as Warne at 52.

Rodney Marsh was a huge figure in the game when I started to become properly aware of test cricket. Initially I thought he spent his winters playing football for QPR! Today was a very sad day for world cricket.

• Haha 1

There were lots of things you can find irritating about Warnie, but he loved his country, and he loved his cricket. A unique bowling genius who inspired everyone. Rest In Peace, Warnie, you'll be missed.

paulw66   
On 04/03/2022 at 5:20 PM, RDC Williams said:

On 06/03/2022 at 6:45 AM, Michael Tucker said:

There were lots of things you can find irritating about Warnie, but he loved his country, and he loved his cricket. A unique bowling genius who inspired everyone. Rest In Peace, Warnie, you'll be missed.

Never forgave him for not signing my autograph book in 1993 when I was 12.

That said, he obviously matured after that...........was a great bloke, and for me, the best bowler of all time. Certainly the best spinner. 

52............ that is no age at all. 

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

Never forgave him for not signing my autograph book in 1993 when I was 12.

That said, he obviously matured after that...........was a great bloke, and for me, the best bowler of all time. Certainly the best spinner. 

52............ that is no age at all. 

He was by all accounts a real charmer. He was also a fair and balanced commentator on the game (within the bounds of his Aussie patriotism), the best spin bowler of all time and maybe even the best bowler full stop.

Scarily young!

Holymoly   

I met him once in the hotel bar across the road from Lords...used to be called the Regents Park Hilton back in the day. He was propping up the bar with Botham, Pringle and Lamb and took pity on me when we were the last people left and invited me over. Botham and Pringle were a bit sniffy but Lamb and Warney were great company. Terrible loss to sport.

xCELERYx   

Idolised the bloke growing up as a kid playing cricket and bowling spin. I modelled my bowling action around his, I owned GM gear because that's what he used at the time, I even wore the zinc on the nose and lips along with the white floppy hat whilst fielding at first slip. No sporting figure or celebrity has had a bigger impact in my life then Shane Warne. To stay I was stunned about his passing was an understatement, kinda felt like such a huge part of my childhood and early teens died in the process.

Even now, it's still had to believe and quite surreal to think that he's no longer here. I'm sure it'll really hit home next summer when he's not in the commentary box. Until then there's still this lingering feeling that'll he'll just pop up to share his thoughts, as if such a character would be around for years to come.

14 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I met him once in the hotel bar across the road from Lords...used to be called the Regents Park Hilton back in the day. He was propping up the bar with Botham, Pringle and Lamb and took pity on me when we were the last people left and invited me over. Botham and Pringle were a bit sniffy but Lamb and Warney were great company. Terrible loss to sport.

Sounds like the mark of a true gentleman to me .