chara

Roman Abramovich and Chelsea FC : Sanctions

6 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I think the distinction might be that it's just a case that Roman paying for settlements in Palestine isn't directly discrimination against Muslims, he is Jewish and is helping his people set up communities in the Palestine desert. It's more of an Israel-Palestine issue, nothing against Muslims in general. Ricketts' comments are straight up throwing discrimination towards Muslims. However in reality I think players will just get on with it no matter what, as it won't be the Ricketts patriarch directly being involved with the Club. 

I'll qualify all this by saying, while I am from an ethnic group that is traditionally Muslim, I myself am Atheist and actually have quite strong feelings and opinions against Islamism and Islam. Though there is a difference between a nuanced critical argument I would make, and the trash that Ricketts spouted that is clearly racist (I know Muslims aren't a race of course, being a Turk especially with many European passing people among us, but the way Ricketts sees it is as a race for sure) and isn't a nuanced argument in any way, because Ricketts clearly wouldn't scrutinise Christianity in the same way.  

I've only just read what Rickets said about Muslims.

Imho, what he said was crude and ignorant rather than genuine, nasty racism. Either way, I don't want him as our owner!

Flinkers   
7 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

So is Tory Lord Daniel Finkelstein. The Bohey/Goldstein bid I believe? 

Lord Coe is with the Broughton bid.

I know what the Chelsea Supporters Trust is but who are they and where are they meeting potential new owners?

Ham   
8 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Imho, what he said was crude and ignorant rather than genuine, nasty racism. Either way, I don't want him as our owner!

He was never going to be the owner. He's nothing to do with the bid. He's the 80 year old father. 

However, let's cancel the whole family. Chelsea Twitter have demonised them all. 

Edited by Ham

Sciatika   

Canners has been doing sterling work on Twitter calling out all sorts of stuff around the sanctions and the sale.

• Like 2

Bison   

Ken Griffin is the man helping to fund the Ricketts proposed takeover:

Screenshot-20220323-075619.jpg

These people shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the club.

Sciatika   

I maintain that redemption must be possible for those who regret past opinions and actions and show genuine remorse. I won't cast the first stone.

Bison   
36 minutes ago, Ham said:

He was never going to be the owner. He's nothing to do with the bid. He's the 80 year old father. 

However, let's cancel the whole family. Chelsea Twitter have demonised them all.

Yes and I couldn't be happier. No disrespect but please do some more research on the family as a whole. 

Congrats to the young Chelsea fans doing their bit on social media to help raise awareness and hopefully keep that filth out of our club.

8 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

This is complete and utter bull****. 

Calling somebody your enemy based on their religion is genuinely nasty.

Do you think this family would ever stand a chance of owning this club if the head of their family described Jewish people as his enemy? Why is it acceptable in this instance? 

paulw66   
42 minutes ago, Ham said:

From what I have read, it is not just the Islamaphobic comments that are why there are objections 

lots of cubs fans do not like their owners apparently although not sure why 

5 minutes ago, Bison said:

Ken Griffin is the man helping to fund the Ricketts proposed takeover:

Screenshot-20220323-075619.jpg

These people shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the club.

How do you throw a bedpost? Aren’t they attached to the bed???

Bison   

As adults, the Ricketts children have each parlayed their family inheritances and connections into powerful positions across the spectrum of American life.

Before entering politics, Pete Ricketts worked with his father as an executive at TD Ameritrade; during his first (failed) run for office, he spent more money on his campaign than in any Senate race in Nebraskan history, contributing more than $14 million out-of-pocket. In his subsequent campaigns, he has routinely outspent his opponents by a wide margin, a practice he continued after being elected to office in 2015. As governor, he dumped hundreds of thousands of dollars into a pro-death penalty referendum, even after the legislature repealed the death penalty in defiance of his veto—a strategy even some Nebraska Republicans considered extremely suspect.

Tom Ricketts, the founder of investment firm Incapital and the president of the Ricketts’ “family business,” the Chicago Cubs, also joined the TD Ameritrade board of directors later in life.

Todd Ricketts worked for both his brother’s firm and his father’s company; he owns a pizza shop and a bike store, though his true calling appears to be conservative fiscal policy. In the early 2010s, he acted as the CEO of Ending Spending, a non-profit started by his father to advocate for small government, as well as managing most of the Ricketts’ spending on Republican causes. A prolific fundraiser during the 2016 presidential elections, he was nominated to be President Trump’s deputy commerce secretary in 2016, but was unable to disentangle his business interests to the satisfaction of the Office of Government Ethics. This year, he was named the finance chair of the Republican National Committee.

According to the Ricketts family’s own account, Joe didn’t allow his children to join the family business until they turned 30, a rule intended to keep them from growing up soft; still, each Ricketts has come to exert an outsize influence on the lives of less affluent Americans using the family name, and the wealth that comes with it.

“I’m a lifelong entrepreneur. I’m proud of the businesses I’ve built, and the businesses my family has built,” Joe Ricketts wrote in a statement to Splinter.

Families like this run our country behind closed doors, and it appears that this one is heavily invested in maintaining its hold on the country’s political and economic life: In regular family meetings, the Ricketts discuss how to consolidate and develop their financial and political power, often with the help of expensive guest lecturers and a cottage industry of dynasty-building consultants. They discuss how best to further their “strategic plan”—a literal spreadsheet—and breed another generation just as rich and savvy as their own.

And as they do this, they meditate on their own leverage: The ultra-wealthy are “a basic foundation in the framework of a successful society,” writes Joe Ricketts. “These people are a necessary part to make societies function appropriately.”

https://splinternews.com/the-billionaires-inbox-furthering-the-ricketts-dynasty-1830454039