chara

Roman Abramovich and Chelsea FC : Sanctions

chara   
3 hours ago, Ham said:

This could change at any point should Chelsea FC withdraw from Ukraine. 

As observed during the visit of Boris.....all is forgiven now?

Ruudboy   
20 hours ago, RDC Williams said:

I'm interested in that quote (I am a devotee of the Telegraph cryptic). What was Waugh's context?

8 hours ago, chara said:

Me too.....have crossword books lined up!.....FWIW I first remember the quote in reference to David Gower doing the Telegraph Crossword.

No time for any of the media online except a sometimes almost morbid interest of sorts in game reports!

Can’t recall the context for the life of me, and Google doesn’t help. First heard it maybe 20-30 years ago when I was addicted to the Listener crossword. Just Private Eye and the Times polygon now.

Jasonb   
8 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

The Ahtletic, is saying all four bidders want Marina to stay on and they're going to offer her an impressive new deal to continue in her role.

From a business perspective makes complete sense, though being of Russian nationality you wonder if at some point the media will focus on that.

15 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

From a business perspective makes complete sense, though being of Russian nationality you wonder if at some point the media will focus on that.

I think she's Canadian 

RDCW   
13 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think she's Canadian 

I think she is both Russian and Canadian. Her long association with Roman will be enough for the media to go after her though!

paulw66   
13 hours ago, Ham said:

This could change at any point should Chelsea FC withdraw from Ukraine. 

Doesn't Roman have more women and children to kill first?

Sciatika   
3 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:

I think she is both Russian and Canadian. Her long association with Roman success will be enough for the media to go after her though!

Fixed that for you.

Lord Karan Bilimoria joins Ricketts family’s bid to buy Chelsea

“I founded Cobra Beer just down the road from Stamford Bridge and have been a season ticket holder for many years,” said Bilimoria.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/chicago-cubs-roman-Abramovich-martin-broughton-jonathan-goldstein-sebastian-coe-b2056303.html

❝Our first focus and goal is to make strategic investments to continue competing for championships and trophies. We will support our players and managers to make sure that Chelsea are habitual winners and title contenders, whether in the Premier League, Champions League or the Women’s Super League [the only Super League we intend competing in, for the record]. In addition, we will continue to invest in the youth academy to develop the stars of the future and we would not be in this process if we did not have an exciting and inclusive vision for Chelsea.

Our second focus will be to continue to cherish and preserve the legacy and traditions of the club. In over 20 years of ownership of the Boston Celtics, we have not once considered changing the name, colours, or logo of the club. This is our guarantee to Chelsea fans. Not only are we committed to remaining at the home of Chelsea, Stamford Bridge, but we are inspired to renovate or redevelop the stadium. Chelsea is a world-class team, in a world-class city, with world-class fans: it deserves a world-class stadium.❞

Stephen Pagliuca

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/apr/12/stephen-pagliuca-vows-to-ensure-chelsea-remain-habitual-winners-roman-Abramovich-takeover