chara

Roman Abramovich and Chelsea FC : Sanctions

Ham   

This all seems entirely normal. 

• Haha 1

chara   
2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

I've tried with Netball/Basketball😁Just find it so repetitive and deadly boring.

Baseball is just a wonderfully  subtle sport, though I can fully understand why others might find it slow and boring. Never been to the States, but going to a night game would be on my bucket list if I ever do go there.

Been here over 20 years...only "live" game I have attended at a Top Pro level was Rockies v Dodgers way back....enjoyed it but still not the same "feeling" as a football game here at many levels.

Denver is a "Sports Town" but although I follow results it's hard to identify with any of the disciplines. "Soccer" completely out because of the Arse connection...on balance find the Ice Hockey Aves (Avalanche) the easiest to relate to.

Interestingly..or not...the Bronco's are up for sale but none of the farcical situation we have been seeing.

Ruudboy   

That is not what I said, @Bob Singleton nor what I intended. Tenenbaum may be a close associate of RA, but the question remains: how far is this to go and, might I add, why not sanction Tenenbaum at the outset

RA seems to have many fair weather friends, who presumably were quite aware of his apparently nefarious dealings while they were not subject to criticism,  but are happy to throw their hands up in horror now his chum Vlad is seen to be the villain we all took him for. At least, those of us who knew a little of his background.

So  I repeat my question: how far will this go? Will Marina be next in line? The rest of the Board? What of other clubs?

Edited by Ruudboy

Sciatika   

From the start of the conflict up till early April, the US and the EU paid Russia about $18bn for oil and gas. It is currently running at about $1bn per day, though I might be a little out of date. I doubt very much that sanctions on individuals are going to make any difference at all to the Russian economy. It is simply a matter of optics. Clearly this has nothing to do with what happened at Sibneft. RA was selling that to Gazprom around the time that the Brown government decided that RA would be a suitable person for a golden visa. RA lost that visa and became persona non grata because Theresa May wanted to make an example of a high profile Russian over the Salisbury poison attack. The choice of RA was arbitrary, not based on law. It is the kind of thing we would criticise of a foreign dictator. Tanenbaum, a Canadian, must have been picked because he recently acquired assets from RA. Presumably, if Buck, an American, has done the same then he could also be sanctioned. And Marina? Each time the amounts involved are becoming less and less significant. Of course, some people will want these people sanctioned because private wealth is an anathema to them, but the elephant in the room is $1bn/day from the US and EU governments.

• Thanks 1

Ham   
1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

From the start of the conflict up till early April, the US and the EU paid Russia about $18bn for oil and gas. It is currently running at about $1bn per day, though I might be a little out of date. I doubt very much that sanctions on individuals are going to make any difference at all to the Russian economy. It is simply a matter of optics. Clearly this has nothing to do with what happened at Sibneft. RA was selling that to Gazprom around the time that the Brown government decided that RA would be a suitable person for a golden visa. RA lost that visa and became persona non grata because Theresa May wanted to make an example of a high profile Russian over the Salisbury poison attack. The choice of RA was arbitrary, not based on law. It is the kind of thing we would criticise of a foreign dictator. Tanenbaum, a Canadian, must have been picked because he recently acquired assets from RA. Presumably, if Buck, an American, has done the same then he could also be sanctioned. And Marina? Each time the amounts involved are becoming less and less significant. Of course, some people will want these people sanctioned because private wealth is an anathema to them, but the elephant in the room is $1bn/day from the US and EU governments.

That Salisbury attack was a real sliding doors moment for our club in many ways.  

18 hours ago, Diddymen said:

I think the media don’t really care now - moved on. Now it’s about a liar for a PM and asylum seekers deported to Rwanda (a story to deflect attention of Johnson breaking the law). 

Agree that Boris is a liar but the people being deported to Rwanda are not asylum seekers! They are economic migrants who are choosing to leave France and illegally enter our country. Big difference!

16 hours ago, chara said:

Been here over 20 years...only "live" game I have attended at a Top Pro level was Rockies v Dodgers way back....enjoyed it but still not the same "feeling" as a football game here at many levels.

Oh for sure, you don't get the same kind of atmosphere at Baseball games as you do at football matches. Being a team sport is about the only thing they have in common.

I used to love playing rounders at school but it wasn't until many years later when I got cable TV that I was able to watch my first game of baseball. Only took me a couple of games to 'get it' and  start loving the sport 

Diddymen   
20 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Agree that Boris is a liar but the people being deported to Rwanda are not asylum seekers! They are economic migrants who are choosing to leave France and illegally enter our country. Big difference!

I stand corrected. Cheers