chara

Roman Abramovich and Chelsea FC : Sanctions

11 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I'm trying to work out his motive for this, but whatever "it" is, it's all bullshit.

It’s difficult to imagine any self respecting billionaire would be happy with publicly announcing having made a huge bid and then not winning… I can’t see what he would stand to gain from this at all. Maybe it’s just a pre-cursor to a bid for Utd.

My only minor problem with Ratcliffe is him referring to Chelsea as a British club rather than an English one, just as Celtic and Rangers are Scottish clubs. We play in the English Premier League, not the British PL .

2 minutes ago, Ham said:

Good .

kratos   
3 minutes ago, Ham said:

Suits me.

My whole family and myself have cancelled our 3 contracts.

Edited by kratos

chara   

Interesting sponsorship possibilities...I am forever amazed out here at the willingness of so many disparate business groups to add their name/brand to successful top sporting Clubs and in fairness to many "fringe" and minor sports "franchises".(how I HATE that term!)....an intriguing avenue of financial income with people who understand the market for such sponsorship here. A plus I didn't see coming for sure. due in part I suppose to the fog of misinformation and speculation that has surrounded this time of uncertainty.

1 hour ago, McCreadie said:

It’s difficult to imagine any self respecting billionaire would be happy with publicly announcing having made a huge bid and then not winning… I can’t see what he would stand to gain from this at all. Maybe it’s just a pre-cursor to a bid for Utd.

Except he hasn't made a "huge bid", given several sources say that the £4.25bn (money to purchase the club which will go to charity/foundation plus undertaking to fund stadium rebuild/refurb, invest in academy, women's team and 1st team squad) is less than Boehly's bid and seemingly less than the Broughton and Pagliuca bids, too.

It's certainly not bad publicity, even if he is unsuccessful, which he will be. But he'll be seen by the cloth-headed as some sort of potential saviour from the American asset-strippers (what else could they possibly be) because he's British (Hurrah!! Unfurl the Union Jacks. Play Rule Britannia, Jerusalem and I Vow To Thee My Country on a loop).

As you say, maybe it's a pre-cursor to a bid for United, but if he was genuinely interested in buying Chelsea he would have gone through the process set down by the owner, ie via Raine Group. This trying to bypass the due process is just another example of why he isn't to be trusted and why he should be told to f*** off!

9 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Except he hasn't made a "huge bid". 

In what world is £4.25bn not a “huge bid” given that it is more than double the amount that anyone has ever paid for a sports team.

Ham   
24 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

In what world is £4.25bn not a “huge bid” given that it is more than double the amount that anyone has ever paid for a sports team.

It's £2.5bn to buy the club with a promise to spend another £1.75bn over 10 years on the squad, women's team, Cobham and the stadium. 

I don't know why the media have included the 10 year investment in the the Radcliffe reports but not in the others. 

The Boehly bid, by this metric, is £4.75bn. 

12 minutes ago, Ham said:

It's £2.5bn to buy the club with a promise to spend another £1.75bn over 10 years on the squad, women's team, Cobham and the stadium. 

I don't know why the media have included the 10 year investment in the the Radcliffe reports but not in the others. 

The Boehly bid, by this metric, is £4.75bn. 

I get all that and the press are today saying Ratcliffes bid is smaller than Boehlys, after suggesting the opposite on Friday. My point remains about it being a huge bid (they all are) and Ratcliffe’s motivation for making it public at the 11th hour and then losing though…