chara

Roman Abramovich and Chelsea FC : Sanctions

paulw66   
56 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Slight brain-fog moment due to either long-Covid or increase in the strength of meds I'm taking for something else.

When I said "bureaucratic" court, I really should have said "constitutional" court (it's what I meant... just couldn't think of the word at the time. Mind you, I couldn't remember my own daughter's name the other day!)

Hope you're not too poorly Bob.

Get well soon

28 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Hope you're not too poorly Bob.

Get well soon

Thanks Paul. Nothing that death won't cure! 😉 [That's a joke, by the way!]

On 01/06/2022 at 10:58 AM, paulw66 said:

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022/05/31/ex-chelsea-fc-owner-roman-Abramovich-files-lawsuit-against-eu-council

This could get interesting. Filed the day after the sale of club was rubber stamped - legend.

I hope he takes them to the cleaners. He’s been treated appallingly.

Ruudboy   
25 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I hope he takes them to the cleaners. He’s been treated appallingly.

Who, precisely? This is European court, and the action taken that led to the sale of the club was by HMG, surely?

31 minutes ago, Ruudboy said:

Who, precisely? This is European court, and the action taken that led to the sale of the club was by HMG, surely?

He was placed on a list of individuals sanctioned by the EU first, then by the UK, but you are correct, it was the likelihood of UK sanctions (which eventually did come in) that led to Abramovich putting the club up for sale.  On a slight tangent, I notice that former KGB officer, oligarch, close friend of Putin and father of Lord Lebedev of Hampton & Siberia has been sanctioned by Canada, but not by the UK. I wonder why that is? 😉

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

He was placed on a list of individuals sanctioned by the EU first, then by the UK, but you are correct, it was the likelihood of UK sanctions (which eventually did come in) that led to Abramovich putting the club up for sale.  On a slight tangent, I notice that former KGB officer, oligarch, close friend of Putin and father of Lord Lebedev of Hampton & Siberia has been sanctioned by Canada, but not by the UK. I wonder why that is? 😉

Do you mean the chap who Boris Johnson and his charming wife also the ex leader of Tory friends of Russia , against the advice of the security services , raised to the Lords?

That one?

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Do you mean the chap who Boris Johnson and his charming wife also the ex leader of Tory friends of Russia , against the advice of the security services , raised to the Lords?

That one?

The one who is buddies with Labour MP Chris Bryant, who probably more than anyone put pressure on the UK Gov't to sanction RA?

https://www.thenational.wales/news/20001904.chris-bryant-twitter-exchange-evgeny-lebedev-resurfaces/ 

Sciatika   

Sshhh. Don't tell them about that. It will puncture the perception of the world in simple polarities.

2 hours ago, Backbiter said:

The one who is buddies with Labour MP Chris Bryant, who probably more than anyone put pressure on the UK Gov't to sanction RA?

https://www.thenational.wales/news/20001904.chris-bryant-twitter-exchange-evgeny-lebedev-resurfaces/ 

Ahh Captain Underpants. Another career politician which alone should be a warning .