chara

Roman Abramovich and Chelsea FC : Sanctions

1 hour ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Is there any proof Roman had any say or connection to this war? 

The 'proof' seems to be his shares in a steel company. All the government and media have said is that some steel 'may' (they don't know) have been used to manufacture arms/ tanks which 'may'(they don't know) have been used against Ukraine. See today's Mirror front page.

The other 'proof' is that RA was one of the many oligarchs who 20+ years ago helped elevate Putin to his current role. 

Edited by Backbiter

Ham   
3 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

The 'proof' seems to be his shares in a steel company. All the government and media have said is that some steel 'may' (they don't know) have been used to manufacture arms/ tanks which 'may'(they don't know) have been used against Ukraine. See today's Mirror front page.

The other 'proof' is that RA was one of the many oligarchs who 20+ years ago helped elevate Putin to his current role. 

Don't forget that the NCA also used their best people and they unearthed the fact that RA was involved in politics. Some dark web discovery. You wouldn't understand. 

5 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

My understanding is that Yeltsin was in power, he was close to Abramovich so enabled Abramovich to buy companies from the state for bargain prices as a thankyou for his loyalty.

Yeltsin then decided he wanted to retire so looked for a successor , he decided Putin would be the one and this was mooted to US President at the time Bill Clinton who having met with Putin in Switzerland signed off on it . 

Yeltsin then fiddled the election to enable their preferred candidate into power.

That aged well didn't it?

5 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

So in a word - No - there isn't any substantial evidence.

However, if sanctioning oligarchs is the way to stop the war then I think most of us can accept that this has to be done.  What we can't accept however, is everyone else using that as a tool to try and destroy the club. Roman is obviously more than cooperating and there is no reason that we as a club should be suffering. 

Those writing defamatory articles about the club and it's fans and stirring up unwarranted hatred against the club/fans need to be held accountable after this. 

Ham   
9 minutes ago, Erland Johnson said:

So in a word - No - there isn't any substantial evidence.

However, if sanctioning oligarchs is the way to stop the war then I think most of us can accept that this has to be done.  What we can't accept however, is everyone else using that as a tool to try and destroy the club. Roman is obviously more than cooperating and there is no reason that we as a club should be suffering. 

Those writing defamatory articles about the club and it's fans and stirring up unwarranted hatred against the club/fans need to be held accountable after this. 

Sanctioning oligarchs is just a way of pretending you're doing something. 

9 minutes ago, Ham said:

I suspect you're right. That's why I wrote 'if'. I guess it's part of the bigger picture, the more sanctions the more likely Russians will turn on Putin.

5 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Lampard has gone right down in my estimation. Right down.

Mine as well and I absolutely LOVE Lampard. I watched his interview. The least he could have done was play it like someone who had a good relationship with a man who clearly had a close relationship with him. He could have acknowledged that at least - that Roman at the least authorized his hiring when some would say he didn't deserve it. He even had something good to say about Mel Morris when asked recently.. but RA - apparently he only saw him less than a handful of times. Wow.

Floyd25   

Lampard was trying to distance himself from Roman to save his own skin, can’t really blame him too much because there’s a media/public witch hunt at the moment at everything Chelsea related. It’s like people in this country can’t do anything about the war in Ukraine, so they just found something else to make their target. 

Edited by Floyd25

3 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

Lampard was trying to distance himself from Roman to save his own skin, can’t really blame him too much because there’s a media/public witch hunt at the moment at everything Chelsea related. It’s like people in this country can’t do anything about the war in Ukraine, so they just found something else to make their target. 

The scent of Chelsea blood is in the water and a frenzy is in full flow. They have the backing of the politicians and the public at large. They will take anyone down who sides with Abramovich. But they can't take down us fans. They can ban us from the ground , they can twitterize us until they are blue in the face but we can hold our opinion on our ex owner and stick two fingers up at the lot of them. Some steel in tanks!! Oh just **** off.

Apparently facebook has just agreed that its ok to post messages of hate and violence on its pages....just as long as its aimed at Russia and Putin!!. This is what its coming to. The virtue signalling facebook who were banning people last year if they offered the opinion that Covid was probably started in a Chinese Lab (yet turns out these mad conspiracy theorists who were banned were probably correct) are now ok with inciting violence against Russia.  That policy will not age well.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I think the most anyone outside of Abramovich and Putin can say is that they are "linked". What many people willfully ignore, however, is that "linked" can mean many different things. There doesn't appear to be anything in the public domain that strongly evidences current political, social or financial ties between Abramovich and the Kremlin and its "political" priorities, certainly at least in terms of Abramovich's wealth flowing into Russia. But then I suspect that's half the point; someone is going to take his money from him, and the government would prefer it is them and not Putin. 

Putin can’t take money from Roman outside of his assets in Russia. It’s my understanding that the majority of Romans wealth is outside of Russia although I may be wrong. Either case, Europe can’t prevent Putin from taking Romans money that’s within Russia, all they can do is to steal his wealth that’s in Europe. 

To be perfectly honest, it’s a shameless behaviour. 

8 hours ago, Backbiter said:

It was Yeltsin who elevated Putin. 

8 hours ago, Erland Johnson said:

Chelsea fans should make a concerted effort to write a list of all companies and news outlets that we should boycott. What has been going on over the past few days is definitely something that warrants that. 

7 hours ago, Ham said:

This. It has absolutely zero impact on the outcome of this war. Roman isn’t even in Russia very often and has tried to distance himself from Putin and Russia since he bought the club.

This is nothing more than virtue-signalling by the toothless and is a common theme among the liberal left who have lost their moral compass completely. Their ideology is something taken out of a children story. When you refuse to see the world through a lens of realism, you end up like we have done. 

If the blame should be laid on someone, it’s the western politicians who have 1. been showing weakness which WILL also lead to China making moves and 2. making the region dependent of Russian energy. Sanctioning Roman is just a weak effort to divert attention from their own failings. 

Edited by Sleeping Dave