Looking back on the game, we just couldn’t deal with their press from the first minute. It just seemed to take us by surprise. And without Kovacic and Jorginho to get us out of it, we just fell apart. 

Maybe Tuchel is right to downplay the result as a blip. I’m sure deep down though he knows what a balls-up today was and that his selection and formation didn’t help. At least I hope he knows. Really wasn’t the game to go to a back four with Loftus Cheek as defensive cover and Werner flailing around upfront giving the ball away at every turn.

Hope Tuchel puts that in his memory bank and just goes with what has worked for us. I’d be amazed if he tries that again. 

• Like 1

Ham   
45 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Looking back on the game, we just couldn’t deal with their press from the first minute. It just seemed to take us by surprise. And without Kovacic and Jorginho to get us out of it, we just fell apart. 

Maybe Tuchel is right to downplay the result as a blip. I’m sure deep down though he knows what a balls-up today was and that his selection and formation didn’t help. At least I hope he knows. Really wasn’t the game to go to a back four with Loftus Cheek as defensive cover and Werner flailing around upfront giving the ball away at every turn.

Hope Tuchel puts that in his memory bank and just goes with what has worked for us. I’d be amazed if he tries that again. 

Far from giving it away, I seem to recall him passing the ball back to Rudiger 149 times rather than try to take his man on. 

Total waste of a shirt.  

On top of everything else Daily Mail now reporting Tommy T has split from his wife after thirteen years . Maybe the poor old soul had just a bit too much on his mind today .

16 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

On top of everything else Daily Mail now reporting Tommy T has split from his wife after thirteen years . Maybe the poor old soul had just a bit too much on his mind today .

Really! Oh that is tough to go through that at this time. Someone has put a gypsy curse on this club. 

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think we all know we were due one to be honest . Another perfect storm , International week , followed by Champions League in midweek which the players will surely be far more interested than a game against Brentford . As TVF says it was simply a mad ten minute spell. If we had any attacking threat ...

Yes, it was a mad 10 minutes but we were dreadful for the other 80. Shapeless, sluggish, sloppy, and other adjectives beginning with s. Selection was shoddy, too 

xCELERYx   

Kante was absolutely shocking. Guilty for two of Brentford goals, in which he showed zero situational awareness opting to ball chase (as he's often guilty of doing) instead of just tracking the runner. He's fast becoming a bit of a negative in virtually most fixtures outside of the "big" games, where we're often not going to have the bulk of possession and need the energy in midfield. 

Also, no idea why Tuchel thought Loftus-Cheek was a good midfield partner to have. He often looks a yard or two behind the play at the best of times, shows no real positional awareness, and somehow he's meant to plug the gaps Kante leaves when he roams? Please. 

ROTG   
12 hours ago, paulw66 said:

When the dust settles and people calm down, the results in the last month, bearing in mind the situation the club is in, have been nothing short of incredible.

Something like today was always a possibility.

Onwards onto Wednesday

Maybe it just a case of going for broke now and playing the strongest team every PL game.

Those who are bidding for the club probably assume CL football next season is a no brainier, however more results like that and it could be a case of second thoughts. Therefore the games against Southampton and The Arse are must wins. Before the second round of bidding closes  

For me it 3rd spot, and a cup would be a bonus 

If we had won this and the next 2 games (Soton and Arse) and with a City-Liverpool draw in the next PL weekend, we would be 6 points off the top. We blew a chance to at least be in the discussion and make the media remember there are 3 strong teams in this country. Big big shame. But as the dust settles I suppose we are prioritising the CL and FA Cup. So we didn't have our strongest lineup out there yesterday. We have bigger fish to fry and couldn't afford to go full pelt. Liverpool and City will run themselves ragged in the weeks ahead with the 2 x CL legs and 2 games against each other. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is shocked in the CL despite their favourable draws. 

Jasonb   

Coming off the back of an internationals I guess they only got Friday as a team before K.O

I'm guessing fewer Brentford players were involved in the Internationals, Eriksen is the only one I recognise.

I also have the suspicion we did not prepare for Brentford and worse he played some players we would not expect to start and a strangely in a back four.

Was this mind games for Madrid that went wrong?