ROTG   
10 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Indeed it will. But this result and Arsenal losing, means any fears about top 4 should be over.

It almost secures 3rd in all honesty

And a £3bn sale of the club.

Ro61   

It was a strange game.I didn't think we were as good as the result suggested.I thought Soton capitulated,and were an absolute disgrace in the way they performed.

What do we get out of this? I really don't know,except we might redeem ourselves against Madrid,but I doubt we will progress - Tuchel ****ed us on that one, but we all make mistakes.

Lampen   
3 hours ago, Ro61 said:

It was a strange game.I didn't think we were as good as the result suggested.I thought Soton capitulated,and were an absolute disgrace in the way they performed.

What do we get out of this? I really don't know,except we might redeem ourselves against Madrid,but I doubt we will progress - Tuchel ****ed us on that one, but we all make mistakes.

We were unlucky, Tuchel missed with lineup. But its not his fault Mendy gifted a goal and Lukaku missed 2 sitters.

Blue Rod   
5 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

This is what I don't get with us. We've signed two forwards for considerable money that are renown for thriving in counter-attacking setups, but choose to play in the completely opposite fashion that does neither any favours. 

We should be more willing to actually play on the counter, invite teams onto us, and help create that space for players like this to succeed. We'd probably find our midfield would also fair better because rather than having to be intricate with their passing to break sides down who've plonked men behind the ball, ball movement would be more direct and as such not quite needing the same degree of precision. 

I honestly thought after signing Lukaku for the money we did, Tuchel was going to make more of this happen because of how much logical sense it made. How wrong was I though.

Good points. Even as a critic of Lukaku, I cannot ignore some of the reasons he and Werner are struggling. It's also fair to say that if we'd utilised our transition better, we might have decided that we didn't need Lukaku at all, as Werner was enough for that kind of striker. Another type of striker would have been a better purchase.

Our style is about keeping a solid shape. So as we win back the ball, it's almost as if the players are instructed to make sure everyone restores their position before we start to attack. If we went on the offensive with our first kick off the ball, we'd see better returns from both strikers. 

Some managers obsess about shape, others about position. Currently one "position-focused" manager is making a lot of waves. 

• Like 1

Ham   
5 hours ago, ROTG said:

And a £3bn sale of the club.

Wait for Tuesday for top price. 

xCELERYx   
2 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

Good points. Even as a critic of Lukaku, I cannot ignore some of the reasons he and Werner are struggling. It's also fair to say that if we'd utilised our transition better, we might have decided that we didn't need Lukaku at all, as Werner was enough for that kind of striker. Another type of striker would have been a better purchase.

Our style is about keeping a solid shape. So as we win back the ball, it's almost as if the players are instructed to make sure everyone restores their position before we start to attack. If we went on the offensive with our first kick off the ball, we'd see better returns from both strikers. 

Some managers obsess about shape, others about position. Currently one "position-focused" manager is making a lot of waves. 

Both strikers have their shortcomings but we do a great job of empathising their weaknesses and marginalising their strengths. Makes for a bit of head scratching at times, that's for sure.

There's a notable lack of purposeful passing once we do get possession, which kinda goes completely against the grain of what a possession based system leans into. It's also a big part of why our ball progression is as laboured and insipid as it is. No one really shows the willingness to just get the ball and get the ball forward quickly, besides maybe Ziyech at times. It's as if they're too scared to turn the ball over trying to make something happen, yet'll be content with circling back just to maintain the ball and shape. 

I don't know, maybe if the ownership situation is sorted we'll be able to remodel a few areas with some more suited players for next season, but that doesn't excuse the hesitancy of trying to maximise what we do have at present.

Edited by xCELERYx

Holymoly   

Funny reading the comments when the teams were announced, mine included. Then we blast 6 and you can't even say everything we tried came off as if that were true Werner would have had 6 himself. Personally I think we should keep Alonso around next season as a backup striker as he is one of the most clinical finishers at the club, and his work on the left leading to Havertz' goal was sublime. Even RLC showed some aptitude at RWB. Applause all round, on the pitch and off.

Personally, I think that was just what we needed. Anything but a convincing win would have caused some to panic and it would have given the media the opportunity to pedal the crisis/drop of form narrative even more. Happy days.

Werner was great when he was good (his play in the build up to Havertz goal was the Werner of his first couple of months here) but he was very Werner and very unlucky in large patches, still i'm very pleased to see him get a couple of goals. Havertz was good without needing to do too much, Mount was very good and RLC filled in well at RWB.

Not a game to get carried away about though, but still, a confidence booster at the right time Bring on Madrid!

RDCW   

Mason Mount was outstanding. His first goal was, as someone on here has said, Lampardesque. Timo looked hungry, fast and willing. Could this be a renaissance?

xCELERYx   
50 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Funny reading the comments when the teams were announced, mine included. Then we blast 6 and you can't even say everything we tried came off as if that were true Werner would have had 6 himself. Personally I think we should keep Alonso around next season as a backup striker as he is one of the most clinical finishers at the club, and his work on the left leading to Havertz' goal was sublime. Even RLC showed some aptitude at RWB. Applause all round, on the pitch and off.

Alonso is a solid backup and with a year left on his contract there's arguably more value in just keeping him around. The issue this season is him having to play far more than intended because of Chilwell being out. With Emerson returning next season will be interesting to see what actually happens.