JaneB

Real Madrid 2 Chelsea 3 (5 - 4 on aggregate)

paulw66   
6 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Wouldn't be going with a back four myself, it increases the workload on Thiago Silva and does more to expose his lack of leg speed. Plus, Ruidger being as aggressive as he is can at times leaves gaps himself. I also wouldn't trust Kante playing that holding role where he actually has to be disciplined positionally and not ball chase. 

Start with the usual 343 or 352 and change later if needed imo.

By all accounts, (well, TT) we played mostly 3412 on Saturday, with Mount behind Timo and Havertz

xCELERYx   
25 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

By all accounts, (well, TT) we played mostly 3412 on Saturday, with Mount behind Timo and Havertz

That'll probably be what we go with again imo, with a couple of personnel adjustments. 

RDCW   
10 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

That'll probably be what we go with again imo, with a couple of personnel adjustments. 

If Timo plays like he did on Saturday he would frighten the life out of those Real Madrid defenders.

paulw66   
19 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:

If Timo plays like he did on Saturday he would frighten the life out of those Real Madrid defenders.

He's equally likely to trip over his own laces.

That said, his composure for his first goal was excellent, particularly for someone who had previously hit the woodwork twice

27 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

He's equally likely to trip over his own laces.

That said, his composure for his first goal was excellent, particularly for someone who had previously hit the woodwork twice

Given that he hit the woodwork 3 times, it should be acknowledged that he got himself into 5 decent scoring situations during the game, which is difficult for any striker to do in any game in the PL.

asvaberg   
15 hours ago, MikelBlue said:

If our second half of the 1st leg is any indication, Tuchel could and should match them with a 433 to contain Vinny’s pace with James at RB (no wingbacks needed). if we control Vinny our CBs can stick closer to Benzema. They have no other threats. 

On the flip side we can start Kai, Werner (unmatched pace) and Ziyech or Pulisic as the 3 forwards and supported with a middle trio of Kante, Kovacic and Mount (yes at CM). 

Mendy

James Silva Rudy Alonso

Mount Kante Kovacic 

ziyech Haveryz Werner. 

Even though we’re only down 0-2 (thanks to abolition of away goals), we have to go for it and keep them uncomfortable all game long with our favorable mismatches 

THIS! :) 

3 hours ago, McCreadie said:

Given that he hit the woodwork 3 times, it should be acknowledged that he got himself into 5 decent scoring situations during the game, which is difficult for any striker to do in any game in the PL.

Absolutely. With the chances he got early I was very confident he'd end up scoring at least once. 

He probably wouldn't be able to get as many opportunities as that against Real. But it just seems to me that we need something different going forward against them. For all our poor defending, nobody was making runs in the first leg. Nobody was really testing or trying to stretch their defence. Werner's movement could be crucial and he will have undoubtedly got a bit of confidence from those goals on Saturday. 

As was said earlier, Pulisic has also been very poor recently. I feel we might as well take a punt on Werner.

paulw66   
13 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

As was said earlier, Pulisic has also been very poor recently. I feel we might as well take a punt on Werner.

In the home leg, he didn't play well

Game before that was Lille away and he scored. 

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

In the home leg, he didn't play well

Game before that was Lille away and he scored. 

I hate to be "that guy" but Pulisic is the poster boy for US "Soccer" and with the World Cup on the horizon he gives me the impression he's being very careful lest he gets injured.

paulw66   
20 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I hate to be "that guy" but Pulisic is the poster boy for US "Soccer" and with the World Cup on the horizon he gives me the impression he's being very careful lest he gets injured.

Based on what?

He scored home and away against Lille, and he, like a few others, didn't play well at home to Real. 

Edit - and by "on the horizon", you mean 7 months away. I don't agree with your supposition, but if the World Cup was a month or two away, it might at least make some sense as a theory

Edited by paulw66