paulw66   

In retrospect it seems odd to make so few changes from the team that played Thursday. They had a free week , as did Arsenal before west ham 

chara   
4 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Yes, Chelsea legends, but we're somewhat  looking through rose tinted glasses here, because in today's world,  some of those players  would be crucified for their "off field activities" 😁 

The "off field" activities.are not the issue or in question and my point wasn't about Chelsea Legends...it was about putting in the fight and effort...I chose the line up not for OG memories but as an example of what we as fans expect, although often let down.

For us OG's maybe it is the "Hutch" syndrome.....any list from then to now I'm sure would be pretty uniform across the years.

How often do we see such as DD's equaliser in Germany?......Puli against WH was late I know but.........not the same.

1 hour ago, Bison said:

Only one change today from the game on Thursday and that was because of injury.

Yes but how many times in a row have we seen the same team this year ? 

And when do players get to start in their preferred position? 

I actually don't know the best positions of the following players : 

Mount , Pulisic , Werner , Havertz , Ziyech , CHO, RLC .

We even had Reece James as a centre half last week when Azpi was fit .

It's a nonsense and it leads to complacency when the players have three different positions they can play so won't miss out if they play like lemons.

Pick a formation. 

Pick a side.

Rotate for injury or loss of form .

It's often like he's got a deck of cards with those players names on them that he throws in the air and whoever lands face up gets a game .

26 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

I'm not saying he is a better manager, merely that a manager must make the most of what he has. Tuchel's problem right now is deeper than misfiring strikers, withal due respect.

This is true. The main problem as I see it is that we bought Lukaku with the intention that Chilwell and James would be our key providers on the wings. Since they got injured, opposing teams have discovered that we have no other real creators in the side and it’s easy to isolate Lukaku. The result is his confidence is now broken. And we have no other real no.9s in the side since Abraham was shown the door.

What we have now is a mismatch of forwards and midfield players. Which is why Tuchel is desperately trying to mould Loftus Cheek into a creative midfielder. And why he’s going with Havertz and Werner who he thinks have the qualities upfront to make up for our sterile midfield.

Up to now Tuchel has also relied on our defence to be solid enough for us not to lose games. What no one could have predicted is the defence going into meltdown. 

It’s a real problem when you can’t score, can’t create, and your defenders are giving away cheap goals. Tuchel must be having nightmares. 

Edited by Original 21
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

In retrospect it seems odd to make so few changes from the team that played Thursday. They had a free week , as did Arsenal before west ham 

On the one hand it shows he wasn't taking the opposition lightly, as he seemed to when he rotated against Arsenal and ballsed up badly. On the other hand, flogging his key players to death with very little reward in terms of points could prove very costly as we reach the crucial end-of-season match-ups.

10 minutes ago, chara said:

The "off field" activities.are not the issue or in question and my point wasn't about Chelsea Legends...it was about putting in the fight and effort...I chose the line up not for OG memories but as an example of what we as fans expect, although often let down.

For us OG's maybe it is the "Hutch" syndrome.....any list from then to now I'm sure would be pretty uniform across the years.

How often do we see such as DD's equaliser in Germany?......Puli against WH was late I know but.........not the same.

My point stands. If those players (Ossie, Hudson and co) were around today their efforts would only be tolerated when things were going well. When things aren't going well fans start looking for reasons and thats when their notorious boozing would be used as a reason. In todays team, I would say Azpi and Kante give their all.

chara   
1 minute ago, boratsbrother said:

My point stands. If those players (Ossie, Hudson and co) were around today their efforts would only be tolerated when things were going well. When things aren't going well fans start looking for reasons and thats when their notorious boozing would be used as a reason. In todays team, I would say Azpi and Kante give their all.

OK..wasn't disagreeing with you. I doubt such off field behavior would be kept out of the media and with the levels of fitness required now I question how much on field effectiveness would suffer today.

The tone of the posts today seems to be a great disappointment/dissatisfaction with the commitment of the players.

Rightly or wrongly....first reactions after a game are usually full of raw emotion and "guttedness".....this has become an increasingly worrying point at this time of the season for many.

1 hour ago, Bison said:

Conte has two world class forwards to work with. Kane and Son are so much better than anything we have in their positions it's a joke. Havertz, Werner, Lukaku etc are League 2 standard in comparison.

Also,Tuchel has had to manage significantly more games this season than Conte who has an entire week to train and coach his team. 

Tuchel has had a long time with this group. This is as fit and as aggressive and as drilled as we will see them under Tuchel. 

Secondly, even when it was Lukaku, Conte still got the best out of him. Costa, Lukaku, Kane.... Lukaku suddenly looks like a clueless, unfit rookie under Tuchel. 

The problem isn't solely down to the strikers. The team simply doesn't move the ball quickly enough. Guys aren't moving to receive the ball, and the crossing into the box strategy - we aren't suited to that. Those are coaching issues.

We don’t seem to be able to score at the moment. Once you are in that situation every game is a potential loss in this league. 3pts ahead of Arsenal and 5 ahead of Spurs. 12 points left to play for. This season has panned out to be a minor disaster. On par for 73-74 points. Very disappointing all around. 

I can see Tuchel's point that individual mistakes are killing us. If it wasn't for these errors we'd have got four points from the last six, as we'd have beaten United and drawn today. And yet, it's become a pattern as these mistakes keep happening. And opposing teams are using it as a tactic to pressure us knowing that we dawdle on the ball at the back. So, what have we done about it? What are our coaching staff telling the defenders to do? Once is bad enough. But every game? WTF is going on?