10 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Do not disagree that Boehly will provide funds for recruitment, however it will not be an open book like RA. 

Do you know the way TT want the team to play. Because I am still struggling after a season and a half. 

Which is probably a good thing. There have been a few posters who have linked to some very interesting YouTube videos, one of them an hour plus interview with Boehly from a few years back explaining his philosophy of owning a sports team. Data plays a very important part in player acquisition. Not quite "Moneyball" but that'll give you a basic understanding. The days of throwing £50m on Torres, £100m on Lukaku, £70m+ on Arrizabalaga, £40m on Bakayoko will hopefully be over, and we'll be closer to what the Fenway Group have done at Liverpool

Ham   
24 minutes ago, ROTG said:

He got 3rd last season with an injury ravaged squad. 

If he has the same philosophy as klopp how come he agreed to the Lukaku transfer?

"Injury-ravaged? 

Their injury issues cannot be compared to the season we've had but I notice you're giving him props for 3rd. 

Waiting on your end of term report on TT with interest. 

25 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Which is probably a good thing. There have been a few posters who have linked to some very interesting YouTube videos, one of them an hour plus interview with Boehly from a few years back explaining his philosophy of owning a sports team. Data plays a very important part in player acquisition. Not quite "Moneyball" but that'll give you a basic understanding. The days of throwing £50m on Torres, £100m on Lukaku, £70m+ on Arrizabalaga, £40m on Bakayoko will hopefully be over, and we'll be closer to what the Fenway Group have done at Liverpool

Agree with all of that!

Besides, I can't think of one signing over £40m who's been an unqualified success during RA's reign. Havertz might go on to be worth what we paid and has already shown his worth with some big goals, but still a way to go yet. 

Our best value signings have been mid-range and under and I'm sure we'll consistently have the funds for more of those in the future. 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Do not disagree that Boehly will provide funds for recruitment, however it will not be an open book like RA. 

Do you know the way TT want the team to play. Because I am still struggling after a season and a half. 

Couple of things come to mind reading your posts mate.

Firstly if you look at what Boehly has already done with his investments in sports you will know he is very data driven and wants his teams to be the best, you could almost say it compares to the Fenway Group in Boston who have guided Liverpool over the past few years leading to much success and without wasting money on players that do not fit Klopp's way of playing. Their last purchase  was Diaz and he looks as if he has been there years, the other one that comes to mind is Jota, another raging success.

Secondly you mention TT doesn't know how to get the best out of these players or how he wants them to play, I would suggest he is having to use players that have come in over the years via other managers and their systems. I think we should see how this summer shakes out and hopefully new players will be purchased that fit the Tuchel way of playing.

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

He got 3rd last season with an injury ravaged squad. 

If he has the same philosophy as klopp how come he agreed to the Lukaku transfer?

Same as Tuchel then .

I'm absolutely certain , absolutely that Tuchel wasn't the driving force behind signing Lukaku.

I expect having previously rowed with the PSG board and their fantasy football squad building that he valued not rocking the boat.

13 hours ago, Box of Tricks said:

Mount excepted, the only reason our attacking players aren't playing for Wolves is because they're not Portuguese. That's their level.

Lukaku should be in Wayfair with all the other wardrobes. Heads need to roll for that decision.

We have to do better in future when it comes to spending money. We're not competitive in the league and I can't buy the "we've won as much as Liverpool in the last five years" crowd. You can twist that to say we're their equals, but more often than not, they're hitting 90 points in the league, while we're scraping around 70.

Midfield needs a proper look at too - I think Tuchel doesn't even know who to pick as it's just different combinations of ineptitude. 

In my opinion, we should use losing Rudiger, Christensen and (most likely) Azpi as an opportunity to ditch three at the back, and instead bring a proper orchestrator/conductor into midfield as part of a three. Not many like Fabregas kicking around in 2022, unfortunately.

You're right. Do you know what else I think. Giroud and Abraham would done a better job and scored FAR more goals than Lukaku and Werner. I haven't been following them closely in Italy but I gather they have been banging the goals in. 

Giroud was and still is a class act. I really liked his attitude. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

You're right. Do you know what else I think. Giroud and Abraham would done a better job and scored FAR more goals than Lukaku and Werner. I haven't been following them closely in Italy but I gather they have been banging the goals in. 

Yes, Giroud was quality. We've really missed him. I'm delighted Tammy has done well in Italy, as it was fairly clear TT didn't really rate him.

It goes without saying that Lukaku has been a catastrophic signing in every respect 

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

You could certainly argue both Tammy and Giroud would've scored more goals, however the emphasis on wanting strikers to do more than just score goals is a big part of why both were let go in the first place.

Giroud was immobile and slow, and as such couldn't press or provide the dynamism desired. Abraham on the other hand struggled playing with his back to goal, holding up the ball, in the air , and truthfully found it tough to contribute within general play. Both have been able to go to Italy and flourish because Italian football still retains a lot of its historic elements with respects to how the game is played. They aren't as concerned about strikers having to do all these other aspects as much as they are about letting them just be goalscorers. That's just not the case in the Premier League where high tempo pressing football is the trend right now, and it's hard to execute that when you don't have all 10 outfield players contributing. Essentially, it's really begun to kill off the traditional CF player and role. Hence why we're also seeing a lot of hybrid attacking midfield/winger types being converted, as they're generally more capable in all these other areas even if they aren't necessarily as prolific in front of goal. 

The bigger problem is why we offloaded these players but then still opted to purchase two forward who thrive in a specific environment we play the complete opposite off. 

It's akin to buying a golf club to play cricket with.

ROTG   
3 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

You could certainly argue both Tammy and Giroud would've scored more goals, however the emphasis on wanting strikers to do more than just score goals is a big part of why both were let go in the first place.

Giroud was immobile and slow, and as such couldn't press or provide the dynamism desired. Abraham on the other hand struggled playing with his back to goal, holding up the ball, in the air , and truthfully found it tough to contribute within general play. Both have been able to go to Italy and flourish because Italian football still retains a lot of its historic elements with respects to how the game is played. They aren't as concerned about strikers having to do all these other aspects as much as they are about letting them just be goalscorers. That's just not the case in the Premier League where high tempo pressing football is the trend right now, and it's hard to execute that when you don't have all 10 outfield players contributing. Essentially, it's really begun to kill off the traditional CF player and role. Hence why we're also seeing a lot of hybrid attacking midfield/winger types being converted, as they're generally more capable in all these other areas even if they aren't necessarily as prolific in front of goal. 

The bigger problem is why we offloaded these players but then still opted to purchase two forward who thrive in a specific environment we play the complete opposite off. 

It's akin to buying a golf club to play cricket with.

Not sure that’s true with CF. 

Keane at chity would be getting 30+ per season.  

xCELERYx   
9 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Not sure that’s true with CF. 

Keane at chity would be getting 30+ per season.  

Kane is one of the rare exception because he's essentially a "complete" player and capable of doing a bit of everything to a good standard. Players like that are easy to slot in a variety of systems. These players however don't grow on trees, that's half the problem with the shift in the way Premier League teams are playing, its drastically narrowed the skillset desired. Hence why we're seeing more attacking midfield and winger types being converted into forwards, they generally have a better grasp on all the other aspects even if they're not established scorers. 

Most other strikers through are accommodated tactically. If they're slow or immobile, then generally a team isn't going to play a heavy pressing system (or at least ask that player to press). If they're not good in the air, then they keep the ball on the ground. If they thrive by getting in behind, then a side will aim to create space in behind and provide the relevant service, etc. 

That's what a normal side would do anyway, of course here at Chelsea it's more about making square pegs fit into round holes, and then complain when said square pegs don't fit. No wonder the only strikers who've thrived here in the last 15 years or so have been more "complete" types who could do a bit of everything - Drogba, Anelka, Costa. Those who thrive in a specific manner, no chance.