JaneB

Chelsea 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 2

Recommended Posts

Just now, CarefreeMuratcan said:

3 more points out of the 9 available secure it. Spurs have no room for error.

The way we're playing I dont fancy us to beat Leeds or Leicester, so it could well go down to the final day again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCELERYx   
4 hours ago, ROTG said:

Agreed the defence is finished and hopefully whoever is recruited is is an established CB who’s basic understanding is a back 4 and and be coached to play a back 5 if needed, which is the polar opposite to those who are being released at the end of the season. 

As for the squad. All our successful teams are build around ~17 players from the squad. Of which 7-8 start every game. 

Trying to me the tinkerman this season has highlighted TT shortcomings when it comes to consistency in the PL. lets not forget when he took over he basically froze his squad of 15 odd player which got him the CL winners medal.  

Football has also changed over the years, especially now with the trend being a high press style aimed at winning possession back quickly and high up the pitch. You take that, which is an increase in general workload, plus the manner in which games come thicker and faster, it's difficult to still have a core of 7-8 that play every game. You may get away it with it short term but it'll eventually catch up down the road, particularly with the way off-seasons aren't really being that anymore. 

Take Mount as a prime example. Debuted in 2019/20 season and has since played 11,469 minutes across 157 appearances for the club in all comps. That's nuts. No wonder he's looked burnt out at stages this season. 

We're getting to a point where the basic 25-26 man squad isn't enough if high pressing football wants to be maintained at an appropriate level across a full season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCELERYx   
6 hours ago, Ham said:

Maybe losing AC, Azpi, Alonso and Rudiger is an opportunity to rid ourselves of a collective who have had these collapses in them for years. 

New blood coached by TT, who are capable of playing a back 4 as well as a 3 might end up being one of those sliding doors moments for us. 

 

The midfield was the biggest problem in this one, I called it from the very beginning. All Wolves had to do was play through the middle with a bit of purpose and the defence was going to be hung out to dry. You can't play this sort of football without the midfield having some sort of discipline and the work ethic to play both sides of the ball. As such you can't pair a slow and immobile Loftus-Cheek that can't play a lick of defence and a box-to-box midfielder like Kovacic who thrives playing in transition. 

We could've had prime Terry and Carvalho down back and they'd have still been exposed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The MOTD interview was the most down I've ever seen TT. The part that was worrying to me was when he was asked the question about the new owners. He couldn't have sounded less enthusiastic and couldn't end the interview fast enough. Maybe I'm reading too much into that? but to me he looked like a manager who's had enough and wants out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

The MOTD interview was the most down I've ever seen TT. The part that was worrying to me was when he was asked the question about the new owners. He couldn't have sounded less enthusiastic and couldn't end the interview fast enough. Maybe I'm reading too much into that? but to me he looked like a manager who's had enough and wants out 

Could be just had enough of this season. Our form has fallen off a cliff and I imagine we all want it to end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

The midfield was the biggest problem in this one, I called it from the very beginning. All Wolves had to do was play through the middle with a bit of purpose and the defence was going to be hung out to dry. You can't play this sort of football without the midfield having some sort of discipline and the work ethic to play both sides of the ball. As such you can't pair a slow and immobile Loftus-Cheek that can't play a lick of defence and a box-to-box midfielder like Kovacic who thrives playing in transition. 

We could've had prime Terry and Carvalho down back and they'd have still been exposed. 

And if Robben and Duff would have been leading our counter attacks when Wolves pushed for their equaliser the game would have finished 3 1 possibly 4 1.

You are right in that we were exposed. Good play by Wolves and the fact they committed numbers.

However that left them also very open and we just butchered counter attack after counter attack with Werner the chief culprit with continually taking the wrong option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Football has also changed over the years, especially now with the trend being a high press style aimed at winning possession back quickly and high up the pitch. You take that, which is an increase in general workload, plus the manner in which games come thicker and faster, it's difficult to still have a core of 7-8 that play every game. You may get away it with it short term but it'll eventually catch up down the road, particularly with the way off-seasons aren't really being that anymore. 

Take Mount as a prime example. Debuted in 2019/20 season and has since played 11,469 minutes across 157 appearances for the club in all comps. That's nuts. No wonder he's looked burnt out at stages this season. 

We're getting to a point where the basic 25-26 man squad isn't enough if high pressing football wants to be maintained at an appropriate level across a full season. 

Eh? Isn’t that exactly what Liverpool and City are doing and have been doing for the past five seasons? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

The MOTD interview was the most down I've ever seen TT. The part that was worrying to me was when he was asked the question about the new owners. He couldn't have sounded less enthusiastic and couldn't end the interview fast enough. Maybe I'm reading too much into that? but to me he looked like a manager who's had enough and wants out 

Something does not seem right behind the scenes to me. Looks like the players are the ones ready to chuck him out. He flat out called out our Azpi for not doing what he was being told. Pulisic dad is on twitter complaining. And I do not dare think how frosty cold his relationship with Lukaku is. Ownership situation has created a power vacuum that probably has allowed things to boil over. 

The club is in dire need of a reset. Clearly TT deserves a fresh go with "his players". I believe we can do great things with the players we have if we buy right. Someone like Rice in the middle, Kounde in defence would make a big difference. Not a lot of things that need to be done here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bison   

There's only so much a manager can do by the way. At some point, the players have to demand form each that levels remain high and hold each other accountable.

I think if we had a real captain he would be able to galvanise the squad for the final few weeks. Azpi is a nice guy and all but he really is one of the worst captains we've ever had. Giving somebody the captaincy because they've stuck around the longest has to stop moving forward. 

Edited by Bison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

The MOTD interview was the most down I've ever seen TT. The part that was worrying to me was when he was asked the question about the new owners. He couldn't have sounded less enthusiastic and couldn't end the interview fast enough. Maybe I'm reading too much into that? but to me he looked like a manager who's had enough and wants out 

Maybe he has realised himself that he’s not as good as we made him out to be? He’s been exposed big time this season and he doesn’t have an answer. 

This team is finished and has been for a long time. Tuchel coming in last season and making us tick for 6 months has papered over the cracks. We are ****ing **** and need an urgent rebuild. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now