JaneB

Chelsea 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 2

Ruudboy   

If you tapped the receiver rest the requisite number of times for the STD code and operator, then the next STD code/operator etc., you could go from exchange to exchange for a long way. I used to call my folks in Cambridge from Exeter - all for free. Serious fonefreakers used electronic noise boxes to phone overseas ...

When I was a feckless youth, we used to call Mr Jacobs to ask if we could borrow his ladder...

56 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Dont remember that. 

Do remember giving vending machines a good thumping and getting free goodies.😁 

There was also a ciggie machine in our local garage when you got a pack of 20 for 50p. Put a 10p coin in at the same times as a 50p coin, press eject on the 50p coin, it came back out and you got 20 fags for 10p. Sadly, the owners caught on after a while.

I spent a year in France as part of my degree 40 years ago (the season Clive Walker saved us from Div 3). There was a payphone by my digs that accepted 5franc coins - allowing you to phone the UK for about 2 mins) and then returned the 5 francs. I saved a fortune.

2 hours ago, chara said:

Question..anyone else remember how with the old cradle phones you could tap a # and get a free call?.

Do you mean the ones you had to wind up? Jesus Chara old are you? 

chara   
35 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Ah NB..... Chelsea ..the albatross around my neck.....work it from there !!

ROTG   

11 hours ago, Diddymen said:

Sorry about that, I was kid back then and found all these 10p s in the phone box. 

you mean two shillings (Two Bob)

Edited by ROTG

Ruudboy   
5 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

It was in the fifties as I recall. Phreaking wasn’t really going then - that started with STD (yup, Subscriber Trunk Dialing, not a naughty disease) in ‘58, but didn’t really get going till the 60s. I discovered it the following decade and made full use of it. Back to football.

chara   
20 minutes ago, Ruudboy said:

It was in the fifties as I recall. Phreaking wasn’t really going then - that started with STD (yup, Subscriber Trunk Dialing, not a naughty disease) in ‘58, but didn’t really get going till the 60s. I discovered it the following decade and made full use of it. Back to football.

I certainly remember using it in the 60's on the pre STD phones...as I recall the numbers included in a no charge call..9 as in 999..0 fpr operator and TIM for the time..at the third stroke etc you could dial but as Nobly pointed out I am indeed an OG and time plays tricks with the memory......I even believe I saw Lukaku score two goals a few days ago,,,but as you say back to football.

Edited by chara

Ruudboy   

Missed that, Chara - I was at the match, but there was a wardrobe in my line of sight

On 09/05/2022 at 5:37 AM, ROTG said:

No I was not questioning how long you were a ST holder. Apologies if my previous response gave you that impression

Sorry my bad :)