JaneB

Chelsea 0 Liverpool 0 (5 - 6 on penalties)

I thought the game was a microcosm of our season. Had some dodgy spells. Looked vulnerable during those dodgy spells.  Played very well in parts. Created lots of chances. Wasted them. Lacked cutting edge and confidence at crucial moments. Lacked leaders on the pitch ( no Lampard, Terry, Drogba, Ballack, Cech in this team) . Lacked the rub of the green. Coach made some strange substitutions. Ultimately , rather disappointing and frustrating. 

Ham   
5 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I thought the game was a microcosm of our season. Had some dodgy spells. Looked vulnerable during those dodgy spells.  Played very well in parts. Created lots of chances. Wasted them. Lacked cutting edge and confidence at crucial moments. Lacked leaders on the pitch ( no Lampard, Terry, Drogba, Ballack, Cech in this team) . Lacked the rub of the green. Coach made some strange substitutions. Ultimately , rather disappointing and frustrating. 

You forgot the bit where VAR [email protected] us over by not even looking at incidents that could have benefited us. So typical of our season.

Just seen motd and both definitely penalties. 

Ro61   
5 minutes ago, Ham said:

You forgot the bit where VAR [email protected] us over by not even looking at incidents that could have benefited us. So typical of our season.

Just seen motd and both definitely penalties. 

ffs let it go We are not hard done by.It is a drunken pub theory.

Ham   
25 minutes ago, Ro61 said:

ffs let it go We are not hard done by.It is a drunken pub theory.

Funny how you of all posters here should bring up "drunken" Kev.

You're clearly going for WUM points here. 

xCELERYx   

Missed the game unfortunately, as I don't have Paramount+ and wasn't going to stay up trying to find a stream. Then had the result spoiled when I woke up, so now I'm not sure if I'll even catch the replay or not. 

Disappointing to see another missed opportunity though. 

Mount's Wembley finals curse lives on I suppose. 

xCELERYx   
4 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Sat high up behind our goal and didn't think either were penalties there and in real time. Won't be putting myself through replays now, mind.

The conclusion we need a rebuild after that game is a truly bizarre one to reach. What the Liverpool games have shown this season is just how close we are to them; not once have they outplayed us, each game could have or did turn on an absolute marginal. And even where they indisputably are much stronger than us, in scoring goals ... They've not done it from open play in 3 of the 4 games. This game wasn't about our prolifigacy or lack of creativity (as much as they are problems), and that a team as prolific as Liverpool didn't manage a goal against us, again, makes that pretty clear. 

We have players at the wrong end of their careers, sure. We also have players who aren't good enough. But as well as them, we have excellent young players. What we need is improvements in two key positions, not a complete tear down. Whether or not we'll get them, who knows. 

It's no secret that we do better against more open sides like Liverpool. We're not a good technical team, so a more open opposition allows us to break more lines through ball-carrying, a much bigger strength of ours. You look back at lot of our better performances this season (and prior) and it's a common theme. Where we struggle more against the sides that force us to pass through them as it puts a greater emphasis on our technical play, an area where we're quite limited in. 

We're going to see a rebuild of sorts regardless, that's just the position we find ourselves in. Whether it happens all in one window or not remains to be seen, but we're essentially 20 points off Man City and we've not come close to looking like closing that gap with the currently assembled squad. 

Floyd25   
2 hours ago, exiledblue said:

So tje supposed quad winners are only penalties better than us. Come on RM and City

16 points better in the league, harsh reality, we can match them in one off games, but that’s counted for nothing. We have players who want out, players in decline and players who aren’t good enough, sure they’ve had to face uncertainty at the club, but that doesn’t change that fact.

Edited by Floyd25

Floyd25   

My post game anger has just turned in to acceptance and dejection, a rebuild isn’t an absurd prediction. We have defenders to replace, we have an ageing captain who’s performances have dipped, an ageing Kante, a genuine lack of creativity from midfield and are we supposed to hope that our forwards, who are consistently inconsistent suddenly become consistent?

Do Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi, Ziyech, Havertz, Werner and even Lukaku have enough quality to push us closer to a title? Genuine question. 

Edited by Floyd25

Ro61   
54 minutes ago, Ham said:

Funny how you of all posters here should bring up "drunken" Kev.

You're clearly going for WUM points here. 

I feel for you ham,you are becoming an absolute twit.You are first and foremost the person that responds to absolutely nothing that doesn't get you in the limelight.

Edited by Ro61

3 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

Do Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi, Ziyech, Havertz, Werner and even Lukaku have enough quality to push us closer to a title? Genuine question. 

Clearly not!

Havertz has had a decent season, but he still has some improving to do.

Puli is getting slaughtered again for yesterday's performance, which I think is grossly unfair. He caused Liverpool a lot of problems and with slightly better finishing and luck he could have scored 5. 3 times he was inches away from a tap in only to be denied by some excellent last gasp defending. No technical horror howlers like we see from Werner, just things not quite going his way. I'd keep him.

CHO has had yet another injury hit season go by with no signs of progression. If he wasn't a Chelsea lad I'd let him go, but seeing that he is I'd give him one more season.

Lukaku was yet again out of his depth in a big match. Can't play the likes of Leeds every week, so sell for whatever price we can get for him. And I do mean whatever price.

Ziyech is just a lightweight at this level. 

For all his trying, Werner just isn't technically  good enough for a top team in this league.

We'd take big hits selling Lukaku, Werner and Ziyech, but we should be able to get something like £100/120 million for them and a lot of money off the wage bill, so imho,  it's those three we should be looking to move on this summer.

• Like 1