JaneB

Chelsea 0 Liverpool 0 (5 - 6 on penalties)

Rob B   
23 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Think we have to be very smart about who we bring in to strengthen the squad. Our defence needs a total revamp. Are we really going to lose Azpi and Alonso as well as Rudiger and Christensen? Our midfield needs fixing too. Kante doesn’t look like the player he once was. Jorginho seems to want to leave. Gallagher will take up one spot. Then what to do about Lukaku? Going to be an interesting summer…

Was just going to post something similar actually. 

I’ll start by saying that I don’t think it will be the massive rebuild that some are hoping for.  It rarely ever is, and if pushed, I think we’ll see probably 7-8 of the squad depart (two of them we know already) and probably 3-4 fringe players eg Sarr, Barkley, Kepa,  followed by maybe 1-2 attackers that want more minutes eg Werner. 

What is absolutely staggering with where this squad finds itself though,  is just how much uncertainty there is about the vast majority of the squad and their future here. 

I would say it’s completely feasible for any of the following to leave this summer and it wouldn’t surprise me:

Azpi - rumoured to be going to Barcelona pre-sanctions.  Still could, but they would need to buy him out of his year’s extension

Alonso - also heavily rumoured with Barca

Jorginho - coming into final year, wouldn’t surprise anyone if he went back to Italy

Kante - as above, will have a lot of interest and club might decide to cash in

Pulisic - his dad has spoken out in the media and he might want more playing time 

Ziyech - as above 

Werner - as above, hasn’t really worked for him in England

Lukaku - I don’t personally believe anyone would pay the money, but could see him and the club wanting to do a deal if someone did

Chalobah - played yesterday but really wouldn’t surprise me if all of a sudden the club announced a PL loan for him.  Will stand a higher chance of staying due to other defenders moving mind you.

CHO - same with Chalobah really.  Can see the club wanting him to get regular game time 

Add these players to your Kepa’s, Sarr, Barkley, Saul’s etc and there really is a huge amount of uncertainty within the squad at the moment - probably 60% of the squad you couldnt say hand on heart say that they will be here next season!! 
The only ones I think that are all but guaranteed are:

Mendy, Silva, James, Chilwell, Kovacic, Mount and Havertz. 

It’s going to be a really interesting summer. 

Edited by Rob B

A couple of things

1) TT saying Werner refused to come on because he was injured, if he was injured why did he keep warming up?

2) if he was injured before the team was announced he should have put someone else on the bench

3) Why did he put Cheek on the pitch and then sub him, he says Barkley came on for penalties, he might as well put Barkley on in the first place

Obviously not going to going to see a big rebuild in one season. It'll take a couple of years to move on the players we need to sell and to find the ones we need.

Obviously losing at least Rudi and Christensen, so two new CB's for sure.

I'd like to see Chalobah be given a chance as a DM. 

I would look to sell Jorginho and Kante, or at least one of them.

Number one to go would most definitely be Lukaku. Yet another  big game where he stank. Overall, he's been far worse than even I expected and I never expected that much to begin with. He'll be 30 next year and another season anywhere near as bad as this one will see his value plummet even further. We might at least get half our money back if we sell this summer.

Would also move on Ziyech.

Next season should be last chance  for Puli, Werner, CHO and RLC.

54 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

And I reiterate, if there was a way to position him more centrally as a striker type role, I genuinely think it should be considered. 

Me too. You would think they would at least try it out once. He's not the best left back in the world but he knows where the goal is. If I was a coach I would at the very least be curious.  

11 hours ago, Ro61 said:

ffs let it go We are not hard done by.It is a drunken pub theory.

Over the years ( decades even) I have seen us robbed more times than care to remember...most of the time I have observed this being sober although it has sometimes driven me to drink. I suppose it started with RA and Mourinho but it has continued to a point to this day. Not all games obviously otherwise we'd never win anything, but a presedent was set in those JM years and it was established that no real objections would be raised. VAR has in fact made things worse. The last few cup finals have been an excellent example. 

But if we are better we can override those decisions. 

Honestly, thank **** for Eurovision because that defeat hurt like hell.

Chrisb   
8 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

Honestly, thank **** for Eurovision because that defeat hurt like hell.

Yep, a couple of pints of cider and watching that did take my mind off events at Wembley! Some of those songs were truly bizarre!

4 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

In saying that, where I do feel Tuchel has dropped the ball a little is in opting to have us play possession football that only goes on to emphases our limitations as a technical team further. I thought with Lukaku arriving, we'd see a bit more urgency had in our play by being more of a direct side and looking to make better use of our ball-carrying strength in midfield in transition. This would've also gone on to make better use of the attacking options we have, most of which all thrive in a counter-attacking type of setup where space can be created.

A thing I noticed is the attitude of the two goalkeepers yesterday when in possession. When Mendy takes the ball he rarely looks to use it to start a quick counterattack. Instead he waits a long while for everyone to get into position. Both teams. Then taps the ball a couple of yards to one of our central defenders. When Allison gets the ball, he instantly looks to play the ball out for a quick throw, often to a midfielder or wing back, with the ball being played ahead of several of our attackers/midfielders who are then all caught up the pitch. Several times with Mendy in recent games I’ve been yelling at the screen, just get rid of it. He very rarely does. This is clearly a deliberate tactic. 

Ham   
1 hour ago, Chrisb said:

Yep, a couple of pints of cider and watching that did take my mind off events at Wembley! Some of those songs were truly bizarre!

What was with the woman washing her hands? Just mental.  

Chrisb   
2 minutes ago, Ham said:

What was with the woman washing her hands? Just mental.  

Something to do with Serbian healthcare apparently!

Hope that having to play 120 minutes has knackered the Dippers out and even with their asthma treatment they struggle for fitness in their next few games.