JaneB

Chelsea 0 Liverpool 0 (5 - 6 on penalties)

GURJ SS   

This game showed that we can set up to go toe to toe with anyone, but we lack key ingredients to come out the other side with a victory. We beat a very nervous City team in the CL final and I think it papered over the cracks; sometimes short term success can lead to long term issues.

It will be a very difficult summer for our recruitment team, it would have been difficult without having players wanting to leave but now we have to be preplanning before our normal preplanning. Very difficult to get it right and it may take us 2 summers to start moving forwards, regardless of the quality we bring in because of where we find ourselves currently; we could potentially lose most of our senior/experienced players all in one month, in terms of the dressing room dynamics and teamwork they'll both take a hit.

This will all depend on our system for next season, do we stick to 343(351/541) or do we go 4:2:3:1(433).

Either way we need at least 2 CBs, 2 FBs(WGs), 2 CMs, 2 AMs, 1 FW.

We can't do the above in 1 window, so I'm thinking we'll address the defence this summer and the rest next summer. However we can fix 1 CM with Gallagher, and 1 FW with Broja.

Personally the system all depends on the quality, if we had top quality forwards then I'd like to stick with the wingback system, but we simply don't so I think we should fix the defence and get an extra man forward; I'd aim for a starting lineup of:

GK: Mendy

CB: ?, ?,

FB: James, Chilly

DM: Kova

CM: Gallagher, Mount

WG: Pulisic, Havertz(more free role)

FW: Lukaku

chara   
3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Obviously not going to going to see a big rebuild in one season. It'll take a couple of years to move on the players we need to sell and to find the ones we need.

Obviously losing at least Rudi and Christensen, so two new CB's for sure.

I'd like to see Chalobah be given a chance as a DM. 

I would look to sell Jorginho and Kante, or at least one of them.

Number one to go would most definitely be Lukaku. Yet another  big game where he stank. Overall, he's been far worse than even I expected and I never expected that much to begin with. He'll be 30 next year and another season anywhere near as bad as this one will see his value plummet even further. We might at least get half our money back if we sell this summer.

Would also move on Ziyech.

Next season should be last chance  for Puli, Werner, CHO and RLC.

Everything I have been thinking has been covered on this forum and the conclusions pretty consistent give or take a few names.

The quoted post is a snapshot of those opinions and is an accurate summing up as any.

My only addition is that I really feel the four players listed have just had their last chance season...there is no ugly duckling in that bunch just needing (more) time to become a swan.

RLC and CHO had really bad injuries and I doubt now that the potential we all dreamed of will ever be fulfilled,sad though it maybe (even tragic) Puli Ziyech and Werner?,,squad players at best ,,,not consistently good enough, better moved on...anyone really think they should stay?

No need for me to list the deadwood....but with the exception of Silva...another season at best as a stabilising figure...the ageing players need to be moved sooner rather than later,reward Azpi and Alonso with a chance to go home and see out their careers in the sun..both great servants of Chelsea and will always be Chelsea in our memories.

Vague afterthoughts....AC in some ways seemed to have the TC syndrome,,Chelsea owe me,,,not the other way around and Rudi for all his application and effort always felt to me like a mercenary...playing for the badge but not of the badge,,,same could be said for a few others!

Interesting times ahead.

15 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

It's no secret that we do better against more open sides like Liverpool. We're not a good technical team, so a more open opposition allows us to break more lines through ball-carrying, a much bigger strength of ours. You look back at lot of our better performances this season (and prior) and it's a common theme. Where we struggle more against the sides that force us to pass through them as it puts a greater emphasis on our technical play, an area where we're quite limited in. 

I mean ... Who doesn't struggle scoring and creating more against teams who primarily defend than those who don't? Can you name any of these teams? I would doubt it, because it is literally true of every football team in the world. And what did you mean "good technical team"? I think this is a nothing term, over-intellectualising a very simple problem; our attacking players are largely sh*te for this level. We clearly have lots of very technically gifted (as well as less so) players, we are clearly very available to execute game plans and patterns of play. We've just recruited pretty poorly up front. Replace Pulisic or Lukaku with, say, Jota or Diaz and things would look very different.

The biggest rebuild should really be in player recruitment.

5 hours ago, Everyonesallowedanopinion said:

A couple of things

1) TT saying Werner refused to come on because he was injured, if he was injured why did he keep warming up?

2) if he was injured before the team was announced he should have put someone else on the bench

3) Why did he put Cheek on the pitch and then sub him, he says Barkley came on for penalties, he might as well put Barkley on in the first place

1) Can you really not see the merits of not letting Klopp know what options we did and did not have?

2) Who? Come on, say who? Who else was there, the few minutes before kick off, who was fit and could go on the bench instead? Name them. 

3) Because Ross Barkley is even more abysmal than Loftus-Cheek, but presumably has shown in training he takes better penalties.

These are easy questions to answer if you're not being deliberately dim.

Rudiger said that he was good for Chelsea and Chelsea were good for him so he considered that his wages were fair reward for his efforts during his time here . We love the club , everyone else bar a few are working there.

What’s this I’m reading about Werner and Havertz both getting tight hamstrings in the warm up before yesterday’s match and ruling themselves out of the game? Is this after the team was named? Bloody hell.

I've posted about the scoucers fanbase before, but after seeing one of this forums members being jumped on for comments they made about Pulisic, it just highlighted the enourmous differences between what's tolerated on Chelsea forums and what you can routinely get away with on a Liverpool forum.

To start with,  barely a post is made without strings of expletetives  included in the post. 

I have seen posts calling for the actual "wiping out" of rich people. Following on from them booing the anthem and Prince William, there's even been a comment allowed about the French having the right ideas about executing Royalty. Another saying  all Chelsea fans deserve to be burned alive. Everyone one of us is a Nazi. They are all proud of booing our anthem but brand English fans as "yobs" for booing anthems of other countries. 

Every club has its share of bellends and nasty characters, but that lot take it to a whole new level of genuine, extreme hatred.

🐷🐷

1 hour ago, Original 21 said:

What’s this I’m reading about Werner and Havertz both getting tight hamstrings in the warm up before yesterday’s match and ruling themselves out of the game? Is this after the team was named? Bloody hell.

It seems that way. I've read/heard that Kai was out before the game and then Timo felt something during the pre-match warm up and then again when potentially warming up to come on as a sub (hence Ziyech coming on when everyone expected Werner). Andreas Christensen also ruled himself out before the game because he wasn't "feeling right"

Clearly there's a problem on the conditioning/physio/medical side of things as I can't think of many players who haven't had hamstring problems at several points this season.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-thomas-tuchel-andreas-christensen-boehly-b2079521.html

43 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Clearly there's a problem on the conditioning/physio/medical side of things as I can't think of many players who haven't had hamstring problems at several points this season.

Even by our standards this season has been awful for injuries. This is either extremely bad luck or something is going wrong somewhere with physio/medical side.

47 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Every club has its share of bellends and nasty characters, but that lot take it to a whole new level of genuine, extreme hatred.

They have far more than their fare share. And the hilarious thing is they like to point fingers at other clubs. 

8 hours ago, chara said:

Number one to go would most definitely be Lukaku. Yet another  big game where he stank. Overall, he's been far worse than even I expected

(chara was quoting borat) . I was expecting very little from The Wardrobe and that's exactly what I got.

If Mr and Mrs Lukaku ever go shopping in Ikea, what happens when they walk into the bedroom furniture department? Does Mrs Lukaku just suddenly lose him as if he kind of vanishes into thin air? 

Edited by NoblyBobly

54 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I've posted about the scoucers fanbase before, but after seeing one of this forums members being jumped on for comments they made about Pulisic, it just highlighted the enourmous differences between what's tolerated on Chelsea forums and what you can routinely get away with on a Liverpool forum.

To start with,  barely a post is made without strings of expletetives  included in the post. 

I have seen posts calling for the actual "wiping out" of rich people. Following on from them booing the anthem and Prince William, there's even been a comment allowed about the French having the right ideas about executing Royalty. Another saying  all Chelsea fans deserve to be burned alive. Everyone one of us is a Nazi. They are all proud of booing our anthem but brand English fans as "yobs" for booing anthems of other countries. 

🐷🐷

47 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

It seems that way. I've read/heard that Kai was out before the game and then Timo felt something during the pre-match warm up and then again when potentially warming up to come on as a sub (hence Ziyech coming on when everyone expected Werner). Andreas Christensen also ruled himself out before the game because he wasn't "feeling right"

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-thomas-tuchel-andreas-christensen-boehly-b2079521.html

Okay. So this isn’t them pulling a “sickie” because they weren’t named in the starting line up? Heard that Christensen gets stomach cramps before games brought on by nerves. Can’t blame him for that. Was just a bit curious that Werner and Havertz both developed hamstring issues on the day of the game. Especially as Kante and Kovacic both played while being unfit. Kovacic was playing with a badly swollen ankle by some accounts and must’ve had painkilling injections. Kante hasn’t been fully fit for a while and clearly Tuchel uses him sparingly. Been a bad season injury-wise. So many players out for long periods. Has anyone seen CHO lately? He just dropped off the radar.