JaneB

Chelsea 0 Liverpool 0 (5 - 6 on penalties)

6 hours ago, Ro61 said:

Well I'm in the don't camp.He is not a premier league player.Imagine if he played for Liverpool or City!.They would never have signed him in the the first place.Another player that needs gone,and we could get a few bob for him.

In all fairness, I seem to remember City being close to signing Jorginho in the summer he came here if reports are to be believed - Pep may have even spoken about him? 

paulw66   
8 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

There is something in the water in that place, they’re living on another planet, strange people. I couldn’t believe they actually booed abide by me, even collymore was perplexed and he’s very much like them. 

And meanwhile two Brentford players says their families were racially abused at Everton 

8 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

There is something in the water in that place, they’re living on another planet, strange people. I couldn’t believe they actually booed abide by me, even collymore was perplexed and he’s very much like them. 

I even had a bad run in with them yesterday. I uploaded some of the videos I took of their fans celebrating to YouTube, and shared them on one of their forums. (obviously with my ulterior motive of getting YouTube views and therefore some extra bit of money). 

Rather than a cordial thank you, they have to stick the knife in. They can't just be cordial and amicable. 

"There's something utterly tragic about a Chelsea fan recoring and uploading this".

"
God imagine being them. Soulless limp dick of a club."

You know, not as if we celebrated exactly as they were when we won the CL last year. No sense of perspective at all by these kind of people. 

1 minute ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I even had a bad run in with them yesterday. I uploaded some of the videos I took of their fans celebrating to YouTube, and shared them on one of their forums. (obviously with my ulterior motive of getting YouTube views and therefore some extra bit of money). 

Rather than a cordial thank you, they have to stick the knife in. They can't just be cordial and amicable. 

"There's something utterly tragic about a Chelsea fan recoring and uploading this".

"
God imagine being them. Soulless limp dick of a club."

You know, not as if we celebrated exactly as they were when we won the CL last year. No sense of perspective at all by these kind of people. 

And yet , the entire footballing World hates their side and their feral asshat fans so there is that.

VA96   

Just catching up on the thread as I couldn't face it after the trip on Saturday 

Horrible to have lost to this bunch twice on pens in cup finals on top of how the 2 league games have gone (and various decisions along the way) 

Seen some very reactionary tweets re. Mount, who with Silva will most likely win POTY (I hope) 

I thought Jorginho was very very good on Saturday 

Those lot are a horrible bunch - barneys on Wembley Way, people brought up in surburbs of London booing the national anthem, Prince William and Abide with Me?! Aren't flares/pyro at games a 3-5 year ban? Chief Football Writer for The Times tweeting this...! 

https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1525545751824187393/photo/1

Holymoly   
21 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

You have to admit Ham we are toothless up front and it needs to change if we are to win the title ever again.

I've got a different spin on this. I don't think neccessarily that our forwards are as "toothless" as some people would have it. When you look back at teams from the past that were considered "monsters", even pre-Abramovich era, for example the twin pronged approach of Hasselbaink and Gudjohnsen, Vialli, or Drogba, our finishing was never really characterised by possession football and walking it into the net with the final touch from the striker. What made us fearsome was the danger we posed from outside the box, the shots from distance, more often than not from midfield players. Zola, Hazard and Fabregas played out from midfield and were rarely considered strikers. The threat they posed was from midfield. They created goals for the forwards from midfield yet remained a threat themselves. In our latterday squads we have lost that threat from midfield while we have concentrated on recreating the Makelele blueprint of  a defensive midfield. Today, even with Kante in his pomp we have tended to double up on that defensive mindset thereby reducing midfield creativity. I'm not a fan of Jorginho as you know but I do recognise him to be the most creative of our midfielders. The problem he presents however is that he poses no threat himself whatsover. If he ever finds himself near the opposition penalty box, rather than take a shot or drive forward he invariably passes sideways to a fullback.

No, I don't think the problem comes from a toothless forward line. I believe the toothlessness arises in midfield resulting in the opposition defense being able to concentrate on our forwards. What we need is a threat originating further back on the pitch to allow more space to our forwards.

4 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I've got a different spin on this. I don't think neccessarily that our forwards are as "toothless" as some people would have it. When you look back at teams from the past that were considered "monsters", even pre-Abramovich era, for example the twin pronged approach of Hasselbaink and Gudjohnsen, Vialli, or Drogba, our finishing was never really characterised by possession football and walking it into the net with the final touch from the striker. What made us fearsome was the danger we posed from outside the box, the shots from distance, more often than not from midfield players. Zola, Hazard and Fabregas played out from midfield and were rarely considered strikers. The threat they posed was from midfield. They created goals for the forwards from midfield yet remained a threat themselves. In our latterday squads we have lost that threat from midfield while we have concentrated on recreating the Makelele blueprint of  a defensive midfield. Today, even with Kante in his pomp we have tended to double up on that defensive mindset thereby reducing midfield creativity. I'm not a fan of Jorginho as you know but I do recognise him to be the most creative of our midfielders. The problem he presents however is that he poses no threat himself whatsover. If he ever finds himself near the opposition penalty box, rather than take a shot or drive forward he invariably passes sideways to a fullback.

No, I don't think the problem comes from a toothless forward line. I believe the toothlessness arises in midfield resulting in the opposition defense being able to concentrate on our forwards. What we need is a threat originating further back on the pitch to allow more space to our forwards.

Spot on assessment. We wouldn't be noticing half of the missed chances if we were getting goals from the midfield, and if we were getting goals from the midfield - as you say - defenders would have more than one threat to contend with, allowing our forwards a bit more time or space in which to finish their chances.

paulw66   
27 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

20 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Spot on assessment. We wouldn't be noticing half of the missed chances if we were getting goals from the midfield, and if we were getting goals from the midfield - as you say - defenders would have more than one threat to contend with, allowing our forwards a bit more time or space in which to finish their chances.

Is that the consequence of playing 3 centre halves, despite of the opposition?

If we could play a back 4, you'd still get plenty of threat from Chilwell and James at Full back, and you are then effectively trading a CB for an attacking midfielder.

So you midfield becomes (with current personnel) probably 2 from Jorginho, Kova and Kante, then the third being Mount, RLC or Havertz.......then you can still chose 3 more forwards. 

10 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

I've posted about the scoucers fanbase before, but after seeing one of this forums members being jumped on for comments they made about Pulisic ...

lol, "jumped on". Does being fairly politely asked to post elsewhere if you're going to call our players oxygen thieves count as being "jumped on"? 

Obviously not.

We're never going to get anywhere if we continue scraping the barrel looking for excuses for our failing forwards. Forwards with true class have the ability to create time and space for themselves and do so by having very good technical ability, quick feet and quick football brain. Lukaku is 29 and never had and never will have any of those crucial attributes. Look at any sport and you'll see that what seperates the good from the great is the higher levels of technical ability and being able to think and move that bit faster.