JaneB

Chelsea 0 Liverpool 0 (5 - 6 on penalties)

5 hours ago, kennypaul said:

clearly you dont know all Arsenal supporters. the ones I know have never let me forget that we 'stole their thunder' from 05 onwards. after beating us this season they (the ones I know ) said they were gonna finish third. And like Liverpool fans they also have a sense of entitlement, 

That result lulled then into a false sense of security.

As has been the case the last couple of years they played us at the perfect time.

6 hours ago, Ro61 said:

Liechtenstein have the same anthem as England with different lyrics.Northern Ireland have the same anthem in sporting events which is embarrassing.The all Ireland rugby team has a neutral anthem that was composed by phil coulter that will make you cringe.

Scrap anthems.As Samuel Johnson said 'patriotism  is the last refuge of a scoundrel'.

100% agree

6 hours ago, Ro61 said:

Good lad Bob.You have probably got me on ignore,but you talk sense at times... when you'r not pontificating.

Clearly not!  😉

Sciatika   
8 hours ago, kennypaul said:

clearly you dont know all Arsenal supporters. the ones I know have never let me forget that we 'stole their thunder' from 05 onwards. after beating us this season they (the ones I know ) said they were gonna finish third. And like Liverpool fans they also have a sense of entitlement, 

I was walking through a small park in Islington and I saw an Arsenal Season Ticket nailed to a tree. So I took it. You never know when you'll need a good nail.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ro61 said:

Scrap anthems.As Samuel Johnson said 'patriotism  is the last refuge of a scoundrel'.

🤮

1 -  Without it, our country would have rolled over  in 1939.

2 - If the """" ever hits the fan again, would you refuse to do National Service?

3 - On a more trivial point. Doesn't your views make the World Cup and all international sport pointless and meangingless to you?

4 -  I also ask this about Liverpool fans. How can you want Chelsea to be champions of a country which means next to nothing to you? 

5 - What would Samuel Johnson say about someone who can love something as relatively trivial as football club but not love the country they were born and bred in?

8 hours ago, kennypaul said:

Arsenal fans are nowhere near as vomit inducing!

Sciatika   
7 hours ago, Ro61 said:

As Samuel Johnson said 'patriotism  is the last refuge of a scoundrel'.

Actually, he didn't mean what is suggested. It was reported by Boswell who qualified it:

Patriotism having become one of our topicks, Johnson suddenly uttered, in a strong determined tone, an apophthegm, at which many will start: ‘Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.’ But let it be considered, that he did not mean a real and generous love of our country, but that pretended patriotism which so many, in all ages and countries, have made a cloak for self-interest.

This was at a dinner in 1775. The following year Johnson printed "The Patriot" (a speech he had given in 1774) in which he said 

‘A patriot is he whose publick conduct is regulated by one single motive, the love of his country; who, as an agent in parliament, has, for himself, neither hope nor fear, neither kindness nor resentment, but refers every thing to the common interest.’

Johnson was a great believer in the value of patriotism as a pillar of collective interest.

Ro61   
2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Actually, he didn't mean what is suggested. It was reported by Boswell who qualified it:

This was at a dinner in 1775. The following year Johnson printed "The Patriot" (a speech he had given in 1774) in which he said 

Johnson was a great believer in the value of patriotism as a pillar of collective interest.

I knew that,just trying to be controversial😉.What he did say(which is true).The giants causeway in Northern Ireland is worth seeing, but not worth going to see.

Ham   
24 minutes ago, Ro61 said:

I knew that,just trying to be controversial😉.What he did say(which is true).The giants causeway in Northern Ireland is worth seeing, but not worth going to see.

Thank god for the camera. 

chara   
10 hours ago, Ro61 said:

Good lad Bob.You have probably got me on ignore,but you talk sense at times... when you'r not pontificating.

Hmm...in truth that could probably be said of any of the regulars here!...and long may it continue..........

(A forum that can laugh at itself ?....the difference.)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kennypaul said:

Well I watch a bit of Arsenal TV for a laugh and they are certainly entitled,  but not afraid to rip their team/coach/players to pieces after a bad result. But with them, the good times are always waiting just around the corner. Ask one now what they think they will do next year. On will go the rose tinted spectacles.