JaneB

Chelsea 1 Leicester City 1

asvaberg   
1 hour ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

It's the quality of football really. It is (subjectively of course) the worst I have seen while supporting Chelsea. It is tough to watch. 

I understand we won two trophies this season but we look so clueless at times it really is hard to watch. 

We had 700 passes today during the game and its like our only mode of attack was a cross into box after the ball predictably got to either James or Alonso.

It is painful to see how much Pulisic has regressed after looking so good under SFL. Werner, Ziyech, Havertz, CHO, Lukaku... they all are at their lowest points in their careers at the moment too. There is no speed, urgency, athleticism, belief, edge or incisiveness about this team. 

You look at the speed, movement and inter-play between City and Liverpool and you can see we are stuck playing Serie A football at Chelsea. Would Mane and Salah be great under Tuchel? I do wonder.

Thank you! You nailed it :)

TT, however, clings to Kante (BBC interview). Sorry, TT, but we have to have a solid backup in every position to be competitive in winning major trophies.

"Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel says finishing third in the Premier League should be seen as a "miracle" given N'Golo Kante's injury struggles.

The Blues' 1-1 draw with Leicester puts them three points clear of Tottenham, in fourth, with a game to go.

Chelsea have a superior goal difference of 18 over Spurs.

Kante has missed more than half the season with various injuries and Tuchel said: "He is the guy who makes the difference."

The German added: "I think he is our key, key, key player; but key, key, key players need to be on the pitch.

"He plays only 40% of the games. So it's maybe a miracle that we arrived in third place.

"Because he is our Mo Salah, he is our [Virgil] Van Dijk, he is our [Kevin] De Bruyne, he is simply that player. He is our Neymar, he is our Kylian Mbappe."

5 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Thank you! You nailed it :)

TT, however, clings to Kante (BBC interview). Sorry, TT, but we have to have a solid backup in every position to be competitive in winning major trophies.

"Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel says finishing third in the Premier League should be seen as a "miracle" given N'Golo Kante's injury struggles.

The Blues' 1-1 draw with Leicester puts them three points clear of Tottenham, in fourth, with a game to go.

Chelsea have a superior goal difference of 18 over Spurs.

Kante has missed more than half the season with various injuries and Tuchel said: "He is the guy who makes the difference."

The German added: "I think he is our key, key, key player; but key, key, key players need to be on the pitch.

"He plays only 40% of the games. So it's maybe a miracle that we arrived in third place.

"Because he is our Mo Salah, he is our [Virgil] Van Dijk, he is our [Kevin] De Bruyne, he is simply that player. He is our Neymar, he is our Kylian Mbappe."

Not a fan of the "dumbing" down of expectations from TT lately. It is not a miracle that we finish third, it is OK. I get the injuries, but the mental collapse has been rather disappointing. Losing the games we have lost, the way we have lost them, is what should give Boehly and other great cause for concern. 

8 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Finished 3rd.

Only city and Liverpool lost less games than us.

3rd highest scorer's.

3rd best defensive record.

But.....

Only 4 teams drew more games than us. That's where our problem is

Another But.....

We are comfortably the third best team in the country, have one of the best managers in the world and have been through the most hideous of hideous seasons. One which we won two trophies and got to another two finals, which we were the better team in both and lost on penalties,  finished third yet we all feel disappointed, which is probably the best indication of where we are as a team. Far more reason to be positive than negative but then that's the real world, on here however..........

I think most of us are generally positive and certainly behind the coach but , as you rightly say it's drawing the games which is the issue and that has to come down to the paucity of our attackers and in particularly their non ability to put the ball in the net and it's cost us throughout the season and in the Champions league .

That and the keeper forgetting how to. 

5 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

I think that may be the issue ! Salah , De Bruyne , Neymar and Mbappe score and assist on a regular basis , Kante may be our "totem" but an attacking midfielder he aint. 

No matter how terrible that miss was last night, I'm still not giving up on Pulisic.

The important things to me was his facial reactions to that miss. He didn't turn around looking sheepish, he was genuinely  furious with himself because he knows he let himself and his team down last night. He knows he should and can do way better than that But then, a couple of minutes later he showed what he is capable of by leaving two Leicester players for dead with a great big of skill zig zagging between them in a tight space before being brought down. 

If he really was as mentally weak as everyone is saying,  he would be hiding by now, but he's not! He's still trying hard and getting into great positions and that is half the battle. 

It can only go two ways from here. He stays another year and goes on to become a very important player for us, or we see more of the same and finally give up on him and move him on.

6 hours ago, ROTG said:

There lies answer to the squads short comings this season. TT needs to stick to a formation and have a plan B.

IMO TT continuing tinkering with formation and players positions didn’t help the squad  

I don't think this is a fair criticism. We lost both wingbacks for large chunks of the season and they are largely the key to the whole system. There was also a chunk around the same time where I seem to remember we lost almost all of our midfield options (the useable ones anyway). TT was looking for a solution then because he had no choice IMO - that's when we saw the 4-4-2 with Sarr at left back. Otherwise when he has had any options available to him at all he has stuck to the 3-4-3 which has been so successful and very nearly won us 2 more domestic cups. Could we have had more consistency up top? Maybe... but equally can you honestly say you knew who are best 3 were at any point in the season? Short of Havertz's purple patch, no one has performed really.

xCELERYx   
3 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

It's the quality of football really. It is (subjectively of course) the worst I have seen while supporting Chelsea. It is tough to watch. 

I understand we won two trophies this season but we look so clueless at times it really is hard to watch. 

We had 700 passes today during the game and its like our only mode of attack was a cross into box after the ball predictably got to either James or Alonso.

It is painful to see how much Pulisic has regressed after looking so good under SFL. Werner, Ziyech, Havertz, CHO, Lukaku... they all are at their lowest points in their careers at the moment too. There is no speed, urgency, athleticism, belief, edge or incisiveness about this team. 

You look at the speed, movement and inter-play between City and Liverpool and you can see we are stuck playing Serie A football at Chelsea. Would Mane and Salah be great under Tuchel? I do wonder.

I'd say Sarri's football was worse to sit through personally, but as you said it's a subjective matter. 

We're witnessing what happens when trying to play a brand of football that lacks the necessary qualities in key areas to make it truly functional, especially in midfield. We're such a limited side on the ball when it comes to our vision, creativity, passing, decision making and execution. When a player like Kante is the one often high up the pitch with possession there's a massive problem on your hands. 

Pulisic has been a myth from the beginning, don't let that post-restart fool you. He was fortunate that lockdown was a unique period, that he was still largely an unknown to the league, and quite frankly teams didn't really set out to stop him. After those dozen games though to round out the season, more clubs took notice and he has essentially been nullified since. No longer does he get the same freedoms and liberties, and he's failed to adjust or add anything else to his game to make him more unpredictable. He's practically the American equivalent of Ross Barkley. 

You're also doing a bit of a disservice to some of the football played in Serie A, which is much more purposeful than anything we've played of late. A lot of our problems though are fixable with a midfield rebuild and getting in some more purposeful support players in attack that aren't just one trick ponies. The midfield is the key though, they're ultimately the ones that'll set the tempo of games and where the big differences can be made. 

Thanks for posting that article @Mark Kelly A great read. Looks like someone at the top messed up regarding the contract, leaving him in limbo for so long that when other clubs were allowed to talk to him he had little option but to listen to what they had to say. He'll be missed as a character and as a leader.

There was this in the DM yesterday (similar, but shorter piece in the Evening Standard, too)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10834091/Real-Madrid-bound-Antonio-Rudiger-bids-farewell-staff-patients-Chelsea-hospital.htmlv