JaneB

Chelsea 1 Leicester City 1

6 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Not if you can think back to how Rudi was playing like a division two player with a hangover. Frank had no choice but to drop him.

Made up nonsense that literally did not happen. Lampard dropped him straight off the bat and the club were trying to move Rudiger on before the summer window even finished. 

8 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Said it at the time and think it's completely indisputable now ... Lampard's exiling of Rudiger was one of the stupidest things I've ever known a manager to do.

Fair play to him. Always given it his all, has one last big contract in him, why not go to Spain when you've done the other three big leagues? He'll be very difficult to replace as a player, and even more so as a character.

He was benched because he was largely garbage for a good 18 months. Let’s not pretend otherwise or rewrite history. 

Kudos for his last 18 months at the club, but they were surely the exception and not the general rule when it comes to his performances.

Of course the Rudiger of the last 18 months will be missed at the club. 

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Made up nonsense that literally did not happen. Lampard dropped him straight off the bat and the club were trying to move Rudiger on before the summer window even finished. 

Simply not true. 

Ham   
5 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I definitely remember some keystone cops defending from Rudi.  He got slaughtered many a time in the match day forum.  

I remember one incident where, under absolutely no pressure from anyone nearby be simply smashed the ball out for a corner to the opposition, from which they scored. It was almost comical. 

He was like a rabbit in the headlights time and time again. 

As Dave says, the Rudi of the last 18 months will be missed. The one before was sketchy. 

chara   
1 minute ago, Ham said:

I definitely remember some keystone cops defending from Rudi.  He got slaughtered many a time in the match day forum.  

I remember one incident where, under absolutely no pressure from anyone nearby be simply smashed the ball out for a corner to the opposition, from which they scored. It was almost comical. 

He was like a rabbit in the headlights time and time again. 

As Dave says, the Rudi of the last 18 months will be missed. The one before was sketchy. 

About how I remember that time.

Blue Rod   
16 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

You're sort of missing the point. 

Lukaku was on around 150k pw at Inter Milan and by far their biggest earner. He scored 64 goals in 95 appearances, with a further 16 assists. On top of this, over 100 PL goals from his prior stints at WBA, Everton and Man Utd. Now, you can debate whether he's an elite player, the teams he scored against, whatever. The fact of the matter is that based on his impressive performances at Inter Milan over the previous 24 months and his wages there, he got a contract from us that effectively doubled his salary, not exactly an abnormal thing to happen when making a bigger move.

There was no way we could've offered him a similar wage to his Inter Milan one when you've got others in the squad who've done far less earning more. 

Timo Werner is another that was paid on the basis of sustained form over two prior seasons and effectively doubled his Leipzig wages. 

And here lies the downside in signing higher profile or in form players, you're paying for what they've already produced for their previous club and what you hope they'll do at your own. If either player carried their previous club form over to us, no one would be battering an eye about what they're earning. 

As I originally said earlier, the bigger issue is handing out large contracts to those who've got no real prior substance. 150k for a mediocre Pulisic that was ousted out of the Dortmund team by a younger Sancho. A similar number for an upcoming Hudson-Odoi, all because we were afraid of losing him to Bayern, and a young upcoming goalkeeper that still had much to learn and prove in Kepa. 100k or so per week for old mates Ross Barkley and Drinkwater. And then like 200k to loan bloody Saul for the season. All of those are absolutely ridiculous and have a far more negative impact than paying a player or players who've showcased greater levels of substance.

Of course we can opt to not pay the mega wages we do to players like Lukaku, Werner, Kante and so on, but it means being okay with seeing certain targets going elsewhere because of it. It may also mean targeting a lower rung of players instead and being happy to settle for that. 

End of the day the wage structure needs to be amended by changing our transfer policy, along with the way we identify players. All of this will play a substantial role in the sort of deals we hand out.

Our scouting, transfer policy, and wage structure have been ridiculous for some time now. I don't know whether the departure of Emenalo has anything to do with it. But you can't argue that we got it wrong with Werner, then contest that we were right in Lukaku's case. We got it wrong in both and more.

We threw away too much money on Pulisic, Werner, Havertz, Ziyech. Tuchel's coaching aside, I do not see any skills or character of these players that matches their signing fees or salaries.

The same people who praise the business success of Marina tend to cry misogyny whenever you point out that she's actually left us with not a single game-changing, match-winning performer, beyond the Rudiger and Thiago Silva.

With Lukaku we simply continued a signing trend. I have absolutely no idea what our scouts found.  His weight has been going up, he's been slowing down, he was never going to suddenly become nimble footed..., basically there was nothing hidden about Lukaku's strength and weaknesses. He wasn't some obscure player in a Romanian league. 

To end my rant, we need good technical heads at the club, and we need to understand that every person has technicsl strengths and weaknesses - Marina, Tuchel, Cech. We seem to want to push the bad decisions onto "someone else" There is no way Lukaku could have got here without the approval of those three. 

3 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

Our scouting, transfer policy, and wage structure have been ridiculous for some time now. I don't know whether the departure of Emenalo has anything to do with it. But you can't argue that we got it wrong with Werner, then contest that we were right in Lukaku's case. We got it wrong in both and more.

We threw away too much money on Pulisic, Werner, Havertz, Ziyech. Tuchel's coaching aside, I do not see any skills or character of these players that matches their signing fees or salaries.

The same people who praise the business success of Marina tend to cry misogyny whenever you point out that she's actually left us with not a single game-changing, match-winning performer, beyond the Rudiger and Thiago Silva.

With Lukaku we simply continued a signing trend. I have absolutely no idea what our scouts found.  His weight has been going up, he's been slowing down, he was never going to suddenly become nimble footed..., basically there was nothing hidden about Lukaku's strength and weaknesses. He wasn't some obscure player in a Romanian league. 

To end my rant, we need good technical heads at the club, and we need to understand that every person has technicsl strengths and weaknesses - Marina, Tuchel, Cech. We seem to want to push the bad decisions onto "someone else" There is no way Lukaku could have got here without the approval of those three. 

re Marina.

To be fair to her, she is excellent in getting top prices for players we sell. Having said that, it's odd that she is the complete opposite when it comes to the buying and contract side of her job. 

Sciatika   

Maybe she just brings on board the players requested by football management according to availability. The ones likely to be available are the ones that do not fit the needs of their current club. Also, it is easier to sell a player because we know their worth than to buy one when we don't.

Edited by Sciatika

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

Also, it is easier to sell a player because we know their worth than to buy one when we don't.

Getting 60 million for Oscar was daylight robberry.

Edited by boratsbrother

bONes   

We loaned out a bunch that we haven’t sold…