Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

paulw66   
50 minutes ago, Juni said:

It's a good job nobody in the PL needs decent PL players then right?

That's not our remit though, is it? "Decent" wont win PL and CL titles. 

paulw66   
45 minutes ago, Ham said:

He's an absolute unit with a serious football brain. Saw him a fair few times last season. 

Playing for us, he looked fairly clumsy to me. The fact he was frozen out by a manger who was not afraid to pick youth products says a fair bit. 

Ham   
15 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Playing for us, he looked fairly clumsy to me. The fact he was frozen out by a manger who was not afraid to pick youth products says a fair bit. 

Are you referring to Guehi or Tomori?

paulw66   
10 minutes ago, Ham said:

Are you referring to Guehi or Tomori?

Tomori.

Guehi I haven't seen play a minute

Ham   
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Tomori.

Guehi I haven't seen play a minute

We were talking at cross-purposes.  I was talking about Guehi.  

4 hours ago, Ham said:

Unbelievable.  This and the Tomori decision are going to bite us in the backside. 

There is a buy-back on Guehi.  He is a CB.  Generally the best thing to do with CBs is play them at a lesser club and then buy or bring back good 25 yo CBs.  What would we have done with Cahill before he was 27?  Why did we loan out Alex till he was 25?  Zouma.  

World changed last summer and the result was that we are now one of the top 4 clubs in Europe - which means the world.  CFC squad of first 22 players is no place for a guy who won't come good until he is 26.

For me this is a great deal - we can potentially get him back if we want, and get some of the sell on fee.
And it is especially a great deal for Guehi.  He gets to play PL football, he gets to bed in at a club, not just be on loan.  His options for the future are open.  And he hasn't spoilt his relationship with Chelsea.

Juni   
3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

That's not our remit though, is it? "Decent" wont win PL and CL titles. 

Decent absolutely wins you PL and CL titles when those players are getting Zappacosta's minutes and Barkley's minutes and Emerson's minutes and free up big money to go and buy Havertz or Werner or pay Thiago Silva or whatever.

2 minutes ago, Juni said:

Decent absolutely wins you PL and CL titles when those players are getting Zappacosta's minutes and Barkley's minutes and Emerson's minutes and free up big money to go and buy Havertz or Werner or pay Thiago Silva or whatever.

As you explain yourself, we are not short of Zappacosta, Barkley or Emerson.  Nor are we short of a Zouma or Christensen or Sarr as back up CBs.  If anything we are short of the room that would allow a Varane if available to come here.

What is necessary right now for both our club and the player, is an opportunity for Guehi to progress and become a top defender. This sounds like a good solution.

As to the money situation.  To keep 21 year old Guehi we would have to turn down an offer which might be £10-£20m (upper end plus if he is sold on for a big fee) and offer him a 5 year contract.
Emerson we bought at 23 for about £20m, and a 4-year contract which is probably not much more than Guehi would have been demanding to stay (I'm assuming he is accepting less at Palace because he knows he will start).
I don't see keeping Guehi as cheap alternative to Emerson.  

Juni   

I don't see signing him back for £40m (which is pie in the sky ****, he won't come back) as cheaper either.