Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

ish   

well barce has the advantage of having their youth and reserve play in the actual league(barces reserves play in the 3rd div league but have played at 2nd level as well, our championship). that means they get 30+ games a season, stay with the barce squad and train. alot of the iffy players like busquets, pedro and valdes played in the B squad for 3-4 years till they were mid 20s before they got pushed to the proper barce team.

imagine if chelsea had that option. keep the loanee players at chelsea, train them and give them 30+ games a season. englands youth set up is very silly compared to italy's and spains. in italy iffy players get alot of co-ownership deals.

I think thats why chelsea has so many players out on loan, they really want one to succeed, they would love to have bertrand, mancienne, cork and bruma start games to show just how good chelsea's youth set up is but its not that easy, look at arsenal who is the last legit arsenal youth player to make it? alot of them have been bought for the first team and even at 21/22 they aren't their yet.

Zoffie   

Keiran Gibbs....

I completely understand the Barca advantage, Mourinho had a lot ot say about that as well, but, if you just take this seasons squad, Pedro isn't playing for Barcelona Atletic this season, he's not up to scratch yet, Busquets isn't the finished product, hell Iniesta was a shadow of the player he is today when he first started getting games for Barca

(and a hell of a lot paler), the way things are now, I know reserve football is uncompetitive & not a great help, but, after all that 1st team experience, why can't they have some Ivanovic seasons, in the 1st team squad waiting for a chance, that's what they plan to do with Bruma.

Juni   

Tunji Jordan's now at Stoke along with Andrew Musungu and Andy Hall, George Bowerman is at Southampton, Fredddie Champion is at Spurs

Cheers for that. Do Andy, George and Freddie have scholarships? (dunno how old Tunji and Musungu are)

It's all good, I totally respect all you guy's wisdom.

Sorry if I came across harsh just my opinion of course.

I really want to see several of the younger guys get a look in, just feel it maybe a bit early for some.

Time will tell.

Sciatika   

Last year, Spurs withdrew from the Reserve League South. Stoke manager Tony Pulis is planning to do the same this year.

Speaking about the decision, Redknapp said:

I just think it gives you the option of fixing up a game where and whenever you want rather than being tied to a fixture schedule which can sometimes prove difficult around First Team games. This way we can create our own schedule and play games when we want to. There are always clubs looking for games so I think this will suit us better.

Tony Pulis said:

What we want to do next season is play our reserve games on a Tuesday afternoon at our training ground....I've already spoken to quite a few clubs who are prepared to come and play us, and these games will be just as competitive. What this will do is give us more control over our players, You want the group training together and having days off at the same time. But when you're told to play a reserve match at Portsmouth on a Wednesday night, you can't give a player the run out he needs because you want him in the next morning preparing with the rest of the senior squad for Saturday's first-team game.

In most reserve games this season, Pulis has been sending out youth players in the reserves, so he can keep his squad together. However, that means reserve players are in the squad, but often not even on the bench. Consequently, many do not get a competitive game at all, which doesn't sound sensible to me.

In our own case, we have been playing reserve games on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday evenings. We play the odd youth player in the reserves (e.g. Tore, McEachran, Kaby) and sometimes a returning first team player (e.g. Ferriera, Alex, Joe Cole), but mostly it is built around the core of reserve team players. If Stoke and Spurs are out then it also means there will be even fewer fixtures for our reserve team next season.

I don't like Pulis' idea of playing on "Tuesday afternoon" because how will fans who want to see the games get there? I'd like the reserve fixtures to be fixed on Monday or Tuesday evening, so we can pick players who did not get a game at the weekend. Assuming we have no midweek fixture, I'd like to see more first team players selected to play in the reserves to keep them match sharp and to get the reserves used to playing with them. In general, I'd like to see less of a distinction between reserves and first team. If you leave a fit (and not rested) player out of the first team, does that not mean that player is a reserve?

I keep wondering if Hilario would have been better in the Man City home game if he had been making appearances in the reserves prior to Cech's injury? Would the reserves who get 10 or 15 minutes in the first team, play better if they were more used to playing with members of the first team?

Maybe it is better to not withdraw, but to change the format of the reserves because if its a problem for Spurs and Stoke, maybe it is a problem for the rest of us too.

In most reserve games this season, Pulis has been sending out youth players in the reserves, so he can keep his squad together. However, that means reserve players are in the squad, but often not even on the bench. Consequently, many do not get a competitive game at all, which doesn't sound sensible to me.

I don't think that's right in entirety. Stoke usually field a very strong side in the reserve league made up of players who figure on the bench for the first team games and returning players. However, I have noticed that they have been fielding mainly a young team in the latter half of the campaign. The two Stoke teams that played against Chelsea were completely different. Juni might add more on this later but I don't think Stoke had a big pool of 'reserve' players so as to speak I.e. players between first team and youth team like our Fabio Borini. Based on last season and earlier half of the season for Stoke, the reserve games were all about giving competitive action to players who weren't getting regular action for the first team.

In our own case, we have been playing reserve games on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday evenings. We play the odd youth player in the reserves (e.g. Tore, McEachran, Kaby) and sometimes a returning first team player (e.g. Ferriera, Alex, Joe Cole), but mostly it is built around the core of reserve team players. If Stoke and Spurs are out then it also means there will be even fewer fixtures for our reserve team next season.

Many youth players have featured this season for the reserve team and I would see that as very encouraging. Obviously, sometimes it was because of shortage of available players but still when you see the likes of Danny Mills holding their own against Iwulemo, you've to be impressed.

Fewer and scattered fixtures coupled with the fact that reserve league is hardly competitive is the main reason why we have so many players out on loan every year to the league clubs. I guess because of the geographical divide of the reserve league, there is not a lot we can do to increase the fixtures in the calendar. The other option is to have more behind the close doors friendlies.

I don't like Pulis' idea of playing on "Tuesday afternoon" because how will fans who want to see the games get there? I'd like the reserve fixtures to be fixed on Monday or Tuesday evening, so we can pick players who did not get a game at the weekend. Assuming we have no midweek fixture, I'd like to see more first team players selected to play in the reserves to keep them match sharp and to get the reserves used to playing with them. In general, I'd like to see less of a distinction between reserves and first team. If you leave a fit (and not rested) player out of the first team, does that not mean that player is a reserve?

I don't think we can expect the likes of Michael Ballack earning 100k/week to feature in a reserve game on a cold and wet Tuesday night up in Nantwich just to be match fit; that's not going to happen.

Thanks for that, I've seen the goal but nice to hear what he sounds like. Haha his accent sounds more Turkish than German xD On another note, I'm sad that I wasn't the first Turk to score at the Bridge =(

tore and mceachran might make appearances next season

Good to hear. From what I've seen of him he reminds me of Rooney, stocky yet pacy at the same time, even has some flicks and tricks too. I hope he will make it to the first team one day.

For all of you who follow the youth team who would you say is the one player most likely to make it?

Juni   

That question has been asked numerous times in this thread to be fair.