Lucas

John Terry

kratos   

Ofcourse the press are pushing for City for this season, Every signing they have made so far has bean met with praise and yet when we did it we were slaughtered at every turn.

We have never been the darlings of the media, but when they allow their personal bias to interfere with what they write about us and our team then it cheeses you off even more.

db12d1   

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...City-talks.html

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon flew from Los Angeles  where he met with the sponsors of the club’s pre-season tour, which kicked off on Saturday with a comfortable 2-0 victory over Seattle Sounders  to Seattle and the indications are that he is preparing to announce that a new deal has been settled upon. With three years left on his present deal, Chelsea had hoped not to have to renegotiate but accept that it is now necessary.

The club would dearly love to make that announcement within the next few days, with Terry also then speaking publically for the first time since City made their offer, but with the relationship with the defender having been strained, they are also being careful not to force the issue. There is annoyance at City’s persistence and this may eventually conclude with an official complaint being made, especially after comments by Mark Hughes that Terry should consider moving on, but that remains unlikely.

Beat me to it. The Mail picking up on a story which is pure speculation.

As if we needed telling, the papers don't actually know.

I know Simon Johnson, he's generally quite well connected at the club via both official and unofficial means, and has given me a few heads up in the past. He's also a 100% Chelsea man too, and likes to put a positive slant on where possible, which is unusual for a journo!

Edited by Toby Brown

Codger   

Feels to me like this one may be coming to a close, so I thought I might get my thoughts up now, regardless of what happens in the next 48 hours.

For the record, and I know some people will find this very hard to believe, I have never once considered that John Terry might leave Chelsea, but there seems to be many people on this site who can’t get their head around that.

Similarly, I really can’t get my head around the opinion of many on here that this whole saga is about money and nothing else, and whilst I’ve seen many, far too many, comments that JT would be leaving only for the money, I’ve yet to see an argument which backs that up against what he has right now.

I’ve been challenged numerous times on my personal views, and criticised for being defensive and stubborn about the whole thing. It’s about belief.

Belief that for all the money available to football players these days, there are still some who don’t move simply for the money; that there are still some to whom loyalty is important. I believe John Terry is one of those players.

If I’m right, should he stand by and watch as the board at Chelsea continue to make one stupid decision after another, or because Chelsea have given him and at least one other player possibly more power than they deserve, should he stand idly by and watch as the team he loves become also-rans on another level?

Why also-rans? Because when Roman bought Chelsea the foundations were laid with some fantastic signings under Ranieri. That continued with the first flush of signings under Mourinho, but for whatever reasons, he had to go. Since then it’s been a litany of feckless decisions made in the name of reactive short-termism that, realistically, have stopped the progression of Chelsea Football Club that looked to many like an inevitable conclusion. No, we’re currently also-rans on a different level. We’re waiting for other teams, one in particular, to drop the ball at the moment.

We’ll soon find out that short-term investment for a middling side can make a massive difference, but it won’t be enough for Manchester City fans in the same way it wasn’t, and remains so, for Chelsea fans. They will surely make the jump from being a mid-table side to one challenging for the Champions League this season, but it will take considerable vision and ongoing investment for them to challenge regularly for the top three and Premier League titles.

We were there though, we were that close that people started to take it as a given that we would challenge for the Premier League every season, the very mark of a team’s success over an extended period. Yet last season, honestly, even with Lampard putting in one of his best seasons and Anelka finishing top goal scorer, we were a distant third behind Manchester United. Without significant vision, investment and consistency, that’s where we’ll stay.

Plenty of people have said the same thing in one way or another, as indeed did John Terry, so is it beyond the realms of comprehension that the captain of Chelsea could feel the same way, and put a few noses out of joint by saying so? I don’t think so, it was after all the club’s fault that players such as John Terry and Frank Lampard have so much clout these days. Someone had to hold the team together when Jose and then Steve Clarke went, and it wasn’t going to be the two managers who quickly followed Mourinho. There were more than enough stories about player unrest doing the rounds at the time, so has all that been so quickly forgotten because we had a decent run under a manager who had a very simple agenda? I do wonder.

No, it’s not all about the money for me, but as I’ve said elsewhere, whatever happens over the next few days it will inevitably boil down to that because people don’t like to admit they’re wrong, and they love to gloat. It will be a sad day to see Chelsea fans gloating at other Chelsea fans if John Terry leaves, but if he goes it will happen.

One of the reasons I was challenged was simply because I couldn’t accept that there was a chance that Terry might leave, so for the first time I had a think about this today.

If John Terry leaves, it will be a short-term catastrophe for Chelsea. It would send a signal to clubs City that our marquee players are obtainable. I’ve made no secret of the fact that Terry is one of my favourite all-time Chelsea players, so for those who don’t really care if he goes or not, perhaps you’d like to try to consider your own reaction if Real or City were in for your favourite player and all around you, including the press and every opposition fan you know, were telling you it’s all about the money.

If John Terry leaves, it won’t be about money. It will be about the club and John Terry not being able to agree over the future of the club. Some might say that Terry has no right to be a part of any conversation about the future of Chelsea Football Club, and in some ways they would be right. However, it was Chelsea that empowered John Terry and he’s paid them back, in spades.

Because I’m feeling generous, I’ll even pander to those who feel it’s already a done deal with City and it’s only a matter of time. If it is, John Terry is simply waiting for confirmation that Mark Hughes won’t be the long-term manager of Manchester City. Because he won’t be, I’ve already been to the bookies with that one. If he’s not out of his depth now, he will be in a few months time. He will be, without doubt, City’s Ranieri.

No, it’s not about money, it’s about the long-term future of Chelsea Football Club and John Terry. Do I have faith in the board to sort this out? Probably not, but what I’m sure of is that John Terry does not want to leave the club, and if he does it won’t be about, relatively speaking, a few quid on top of what he’s earning right now. It’ll be about something far more important.

I was watching espn and an advertisement came up for espn soccernet presspass...the host said..."we have a surprise for you...former chelsea legend [I can't remember who] will be interviewing current chelsea captain john Terry" That was last night while I was watching the inter game...and now today the papers say jt will break his silence so I think here is where he will

Espn soccernet press pass airs tonight 7 est...I think

Karan   
I was watching espn and an advertisement came up for espn soccernet presspass...the host said..."we have a surprise for you...former chelsea legend [I can't remember who] will be interviewing current chelsea captain john Terry"

The former Chelsea legend is most likely to be Frank Lebouf.

its amazing that some people in this thread are so confident that john doesnt want to go. not a single player thats come out and commented on the matter has indicated, even once, that John WANTS to stay at chelsea. just by reading Lampard's comments above, I am now convinced that Terry is, at the very least, considering manchester city's proposal.

I'll convince you even more then. I don't have a clue what JT wants to do either. Nor do thousands of other people. That's proof.