Lucas

John Terry

Yes, the 70's and 80's were much better....

Rather than wearing the replica shirts, perhaps we should all wear Stone Island clothing, racially abuse our African players and then start a punch up just for a giggle on the way out?

For all its faults, no-one who went to matches in that era is seriously going to contend that it is better overall today than it was then, surely.

It wasn't all sit down, shut up, mind your language and eat your prawn sandwich. Nor was one charged 50/60 quid for the privilege.

Rather than wearing the replica shirts, perhaps we should all wear Stone Island clothing, racially abuse our African players and then start a punch up just for a giggle on the way out?

Of course what you highlight can't be argued with. But, its deeper than that isn't it?

Brand Chelsea,Overpaid players,ticket prices,merchandise,passionless fans etc,etc. They're all well worn complaints and all basically true.

Where has the sense of camaraderie gone? not only between fans,but players and fans?

Look at Terry, he imo plays the club for a better deal. A better deal than £120k a week ffs!

The bubble will burst, like every cycle there will be a downturn and when it comes it will shift the game back in the direction of its roots. The trouble is the get rich quick culture has alienated many of those fans.

I regard myself as one of those, like KEF its my last ST this year, they've won and there welcome to it.

I mean here threatened as in disconcerted, a feeling of not fitting in any more with the fanbase

In that case your 100% right , I no longer feel any comradeship with 99% of our fans. My many match going pals and myself of the 70s/80s and 90s did not wear SI or boo black players but we all could afford to watch our team play and we all felt (rightly or wrongly ) that we were part of a great club with a brilliant following. That feeling is gone and looking at all the people around me at wembley yesterday only proved that , loads left at full time before the pens , most sat in silence , some actually tutted when a group of teenagers got up and actually sung . My first wembley experience with cfc was losing a cup final to stoke and the chelsea end was a mass of passion , yesterday it was dead as a dodo.

Edited by ken's electric fence

Paddy   

QUOTE(paulw66 @ Aug 10 2009, 13:13)

I have to take umbrage at this comment. This seems to me, typical of the middle class fans superiority complex, now that they have succeeded in taking over Premier League football. They appear to want to demonise the fans who supported the club, through the dark days of the 70's and 80's and without whom, there may not have been a Chelsea for them to support today.

If you went down the Bridge in the 70's and 80's, then you know that not all fans down there were racists, National Front supporters, or whatever cliche you want to throw at us and if you weren't there, where are you getting your information from - the media?

Yeah there were some dark times and I saw some bad things happen, but why demonise all fans with your accusations?

However times change and after missing some of the recent glory years through different reasons, I got to a few matches in the last few seasons, but like KEF decided that my day had been and gone.

Good luck to the fans today, its fantastic down there, but the camaraderie of the old days and the pre-match atmosphere has gone...

I guess thats the price you pay for success.

Oh and btw, JT isn't Chelsea - no player is bigger than the club.

Edited by Paddy

paulw66   
Of course what you highlight can't be argued with. But, its deeper than that isn't it?

Brand Chelsea,Overpaid players,ticket prices,merchandise,passionless fans etc,etc. They're all well worn complaints and all basically true.

Where has the sense of camaraderie gone? not only between fans,but players and fans?

Look at Terry, he imo plays the club for a better deal. A better deal than £120k a week ffs!

The bubble will burst, like every cycle there will be a downturn and when it comes it will shift the game back in the direction of its roots. The trouble is the get rich quick culture has alienated many of those fans.

I regard myself as one of those, like KEF its my last ST this year, they've won and there welcome to it.

I dont disagree with what you say either...

However, this is not a "Chelsea" problem, let's make that clear. The scenario is the same throughout all of the big Premier League and european clubs. This is not the fault of Chelsea's players, owners or any of the hierarchy.

Who, in Terry's position wouldnt take a pay rise? People are happy taking the moral high ground when in reality 99.9% would do exactly the same thing. And what are the club to do? Are they supposed to charge £20 a game to keep everyone happy but then lose all of the best players because they can't afford to pay them what they could earn at other clubs? The team would get weaker and weaker and then you'd struggle to sell out regardless of cost because the team would be poor.

Yes tickets cost £50 a game.... but the club sells out. every game. why on earth would they reduce prices? the club have actually frozen season tickets four years running but still people complain... it's not as bad at Chelsea as it is at other clubs. I have a mate who pays £70 a game to watch Arsenal in the CL... Spurs tickets are as dear as Chelsea and when did they last compete for the title?

Sky Sports transformed the earning power of the players and things have spiralled ever since. This is not the players fault... who wouldnt take £100k a week if it was offered? Good luck to them. At least JT puts in 100% every game and takes the trouble to applaud the fans at the end. A small gesture I know but some dont.

The Terry to City saga highlighted what is wrong with the fabric of the game, not what is wrong with JT....

And before people harp on about the good old days, do you really think messers Harris, Osgood, Bonetti and co would have turned down the money if they were playing in this current era.... would they hell.

I dont disagree with what you say either...

However, this is not a "Chelsea" problem, let's make that clear. The scenario is the same throughout all of the big Premier League and european clubs. This is not the fault of Chelsea's players, owners or any of the hierarchy.

Who, in Terry's position wouldnt take a pay rise? People are happy taking the moral high ground when in reality 99.9% would do exactly the same thing. And what are the club to do? Are they supposed to charge £20 a game to keep everyone happy but then lose all of the best players because they can't afford to pay them what they could earn at other clubs? The team would get weaker and weaker and then you'd struggle to sell out regardless of cost because the team would be poor.

Yes tickets cost £50 a game.... but the club sells out. every game. why on earth would they reduce prices? the club have actually frozen season tickets four years running but still people complain... it's not as bad at Chelsea as it is at other clubs. I have a mate who pays £70 a game to watch Arsenal in the CL... Spurs tickets are as dear as Chelsea and when did they last compete for the title?

Sky Sports transformed the earning power of the players and things have spiralled ever since. This is not the players fault... who wouldnt take £100k a week if it was offered? Good luck to them. At least JT puts in 100% every game and takes the trouble to applaud the fans at the end. A small gesture I know but some dont.

The Terry to City saga highlighted what is wrong with the fabric of the game, not what is wrong with JT....

And before people harp on about the good old days, do you really think messers Harris, Osgood, Bonetti and co would have turned down the money if they were playing in this current era.... would they hell.

If sky sports pay for JT's and co wages then fair enough but why does a ticket have to cost £50 / 60 a game at the bridge if the club can afford to pay dead weights like Ballack , deco and Sheva £100,000 a week ?.

Shelly   

It's not so much the money players are on, its the prices to get in and crucially, in my opinion, getting rid of the terraces, and being told to sit down all the time by the stewards.

I understand the reason for it, but if they could bring in safe standing areas and allow people to lob up on the day and pay a greatly reduced price, it would go a long way to bring back the old atmosphere.

I know its just a pipe dream, and is never going to happen, but I do believe we still have a hardcore of passionate fans who would make the Bridge a caldron again, if they didn't have to sit there like naughty children.

I don't care what anyone says all seater stadiums have done more harm to the atmosphere than, Sky, excess wages and the influx of tourist fans, has ever done...

Your arguement is sound but amoral. It shouldn't be offered-wage cap?

Terry "takes the trouble to applaud the fans"...thats alright then! Symbolism and cliche, sums up modern football perfectly.

It's not so much the money players are on, its the prices to get in and crucially, in my opinion, getting rid of the terraces, and being told to sit down all the time by the stewards.

I understand the reason for it, but if they could bring in safe standing areas and allow people to lob up on the day and pay a greatly reduced price, it would go a long way to bring back the old atmosphere.

I know its just a pipe dream, and is never going to happen, but I do believe we still have a hardcore of passionate fans who would make the Bridge a caldron again, if they didn't have to sit there like naughty children.

I don't care what anyone says all seater stadiums have done more harm to the atmosphere than, Sky, excess wages and the influx of tourist fans, has ever done...

We have lost forever a generation of local lads who would have been the shed and north stand boys for 2009 , standing up , cheaper prices wont bring back the type of lads who the bridge needs so badly .I honestly think the good fight has been lost.

CFC1966   
In that case your 100% right , I no longer feel any comradeship with 99% of our fans. My many match going pals and myself of the 70s/80s and 90s did not wear SI or boo black players but we all could afford to watch our team play and we all felt (rightly or wrongly ) that we were part of a great club with a brilliant following. That feeling is gone and looking at all the people around me at wembley yesterday only proved that , loads left at full time before the pens , most sat in silence , some actually tutted when a group of teenagers got up and actually sung . My first wembley experience with cfc was losing a cup final to stoke and the chelsea end was a mass of passion , yesterday it was dead as a dodo.

I think 99% as a figure is over the top but exagerate a point to make a point...

I may not always agree with your view points particularly when you take umbridge with the fact that I follow Chelsea from the West Mids therefore in your eyes I have no afinity even though I have done so since the early 70's, but I understand where you are coming from and see the frustrations. You got stuck into me over my Sunderland away rant end of last season for daring to question our fan base and unfortunately the apathy you supported then is endemic of our current fan base. What you failed to grasp was that my "attack" was on those who are on here who don't, but could go to the odd away game, especially certain individuals who post on here "desperately seeking gooner away tickets" but can't be arsed to take advantage of free or subsidised (can't remember which) travel to Sunderland. Those, who would all of a sudden been able to afford it if we could have won the league that day. Those who couldn't get a ticket for the "big" aways, those who couldn't get a Cup Final ticket. It goes without saying affordability is paramount but for a none event dead rubber that was a good day out and I thought that was a a part of what football was all about.

I didn't think yesterday was as bad as I expected it to be, but the pockets of atmosphere here and there never took off and won't until we are allowed the gather freely (in our end!!!) within stadiums. I managed 16 away games last season and didn't sit down once and I'm f****d if I'm gonna sit down this season, or stop singing, or stop swearing for anyone - Police, Stewards and dare I say it any Prawnies in and around me. That's not to say I don't or won't respect others but it's time the fans had the football stadiums back off the corporate sydicates. I had a fool sitting next to me yesterday in a replica ask me who the right back was - sighs!

Away games over the last 2 seasons have slowly edged back to the "Good Olde Days" and I hope this continues and the passion and atmosphere gets better and better. I will not attend a single home game this season because I am bored with the whole home game apathy, but I will attend every away game that I can get a ticket for as a member and intend to spend the money I can afford that I would have spent on home games travelling to some CL away games.

Unfortunately, although not in everyones eyes, the days of Carlisle away on a wet tuesday night in November, where the old bill shoved you from pillar to post and the local urchins couldn't wait to see what colour you bleed when hit with a brick are long gone and that's where the comaradarie came from. Not from some nanny-state, sanitised stadium.