Lucas

John Terry

simon   
Got ya , my moaning is always constructive but I've finally come to the opinion that the JCL's / sit downers and replica wearers have won and its time for fellers like me to say goodbye to the bridge , many on here will be happy to see the back of my generation anyway.

There will always be the pre match piss up with your mates though Ken. Alot of the time I enjoy that part and all the banter more than I do the game. Suppose you can still do that part and just slope of to a pub close by and watch the match on TV.

Fans, are being priced out of football, no lets rephrase that, match going fans are being priced and forced out of football. More importantly it’s the kids that can’t afford to go or dads that can’t afford to take their kids.
But there is no evidence of this, is there? Of course the kids can afford to go - poncing off parents is more common today than ever and there are plenty of parents with a lot of money. Look at the costs of going to uni these days and the ever-increasing number still applying.

It isn't as if Chelsea are located in the dole-scrounging north, is it?

Whilst I can see the business logic of charging ‘what you can get’ for a ticket, it’s a little short sighted.

Chelsea are ‘fashionable’ today, but when we have a dip in form or perhaps even go back to being ‘shite’ (or it is not so fashionable to go to football) who will form the bulk of our match going support?

Ars are clear testimony to the fact that there isn't any strong link between winning things and support. Look at Newcastle, even Norwich down here. Complete sh*te, yet good attendances.

It is this atmosphere that enables the Premier League to get the fees from TV (both home and abroad). Once we force out the travelling fans and have the resulting reduction in atmosphere, will the club then get the revenue from TV ….. and the resultant high sponsorships fess and be able to pay the wages for the top stars??

But don't clubs involved in 'normal European fare' also gain plenty of dough from TV coverage? It is the speed and skill of the Prem, plus our luring of many of the world's top players that draws sponsorship and TV interest.

If atmosphere was chiefly responsible, one might imagine that Chelsea would get pretty small coverage at SB.

yugam   
But don't clubs involved in 'normal European fare' also gain plenty of dough from TV coverage? It is the speed and skill of the Prem, plus our luring of many of the world's top players that draws sponsorship and TV interest.

If atmosphere was chiefly responsible, one might imagine that Chelsea would get pretty small coverage at SB.

yea..and the bundesliga would have been right up there..

the crowds are pretty good there.there are standing areas,fans never seem to be sitting there..

not to forget the greek and the turkish leagues..great atmosphere..

But there is no evidence of this, is there? Of course the kids can afford to go - poncing off parents is more common today than ever and there are plenty of parents with a lot of money. Look at the costs of going to uni these days and the ever-increasing number still applying.

Ars are clear testimony to the fact that there isn't any strong link between winning things and support. Look at Newcastle, even Norwich down here. Complete sh*te, yet good attendances.

how can you even try to defend modern football? Modern football is so corrupt and money hungry

WPAULWIN   

The kids thing..... if you can get tickets, to take yourself and couple of kids to a Chelsea home game = £120 per game = £3k+ pa before tax.

I know lots of people that can take one child to games, but do not have the cash to take 2. For the away games..... double the cost. (as an aside..... the reason for ever increasing numbers of kids applying to uni has nothing to do with cost but more to do with the fact that there are no jobs, no appenticeships and tooooo many uni courses)

As for dole scrounging North...... its not just the grim North that has felt the 'economic down turn' (said with feeling!)

Arsenal are a different case, they have been succesful over a period longer than us and built up a huge waiting list for season tickets + have a process that ALL their home tickets are sold on a loyalty basis.... Newcastle and Norwich, have kept their prices low to ensure their core support continue to attend games.

One of Eufa's biggest complaints is that the English clubs gain a higher level of fees from TV (If you take out Bayern, the Milan clubs, Juve, real Madrid and Barce the European clubs get pennies.... + the reason you do not see other European clubs on TV is that vast areas of empty seats in the Stadiums)

Nicholas   
Glad you find the plague of JCL's so amusing. Football has been ruined by them, I use the term 'them' quite deliberately.

I would suggest its the jcl's who do the willy waving mate.

You missed the point spectacularly, mate. May I suggest you go back and read my post and what prompted my response from the OP. It should be fairly obvious. Then, maybe not.

Got ya , my moaning is always constructive but I've finally come to the opinion that the JCL's / sit downers and replica wearers have won and its time for fellers like me to say goodbye to the bridge , many on here will be happy to see the back of my generation anyway.

Never say die, no surrender. If you give up then they have won KEF.

I'll freely admit I'm not part of the older generation of fans and I didn't learn my terrace culture at SB.

But despite my age I'm and old school football fan. I don't like the way songs are sung at Chelsea.

Far too fast and when I go to games I don't just sing the tune. I scream it with both arms raised above my head. That's the way it should be done and people around you should get of their arse and join in. It's a day out at the football ffs, why won't people have a laugh and sing a few songs. Surely the fact it's so expensive should make people more willing to make the most of it.

Part of the reason I and I'm sure many other fell in love with Chelsea is Chelsea always took numbers. Chelsea supporters always sung loud and proud.

Every year it gets harder to defend that.

Anyone that considers themselves a real fan, should embrace the older generation isn't that part of what being a football fan is all about?

Knowing your history, respecting the club and the traditions that were here before you?

If people here are glad to see that back of the old school support, know this, you're letting your self in for a dull, passionless crowd with 0 personality.

I'll be getting a membership this season. You can count me in to stand up and shout and sing, because I don't give a **** anymore, I'm not afraid to try and start songs at football. I never have been.

I'll take a mate and if people want to join in that's up to them, I'm not paying £50 for half arsed songs to be sung every 10 mins anymore.

I urge anyone that's considering packing it in to please reconsider. If you really love this club, you'll persevere. You deserve to see us winning titles. Your support during the dark ages deserves reward.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we need a match going section on here.

It should be passworded and you should be required to provide your membership/ST number and the general sale should have to ask admin permission to come in. Then we could IMO really get things going again Shed 100 was good but it was too specific. If we could really get numbers, then we could get a match going, crew/army and numbers to push the club on things such as unreserved seating etc.

Edited by CfcPrideofLDN

I'll freely admit I'm not part of the older generation of fans and I didn't learn my terrace culture at SB.

But despite my age I'm and old school football fan. I don't like the way songs are sung at Chelsea.

Far too fast and when I go to games I don't just sing the tune. I scream it with both arms raised above my head. That's the way it should be done and people around you should get of their arse and join in. It's a day out at the football ffs, why won't people have a laugh and sing a few songs. Surely the fact it's so expensive should make people more willing to make the most of it.

Part of the reason I and I'm sure many other fell in love with Chelsea is Chelsea always took numbers. Chelsea supporters always sung loud and proud.

Every year it gets harder to defend that.

Anyone that considers themselves a real fan, should embrace the older generation isn't that part of what being a football fan is all about?

Knowing your history, respecting the club and the traditions that were here before you?

If people here are glad to see that back of the old school support, know this, you're letting your self in for a dull, passionless crowd with 0 personality.

I'll be getting a membership this season. You can count me in to stand up and shout and sing, because I don't give a **** anymore, I'm not afraid to try and start songs at football. I never have been.

I'll take a mate and if people want to join in that's up to them, I'm not paying £50 for half arsed songs to be sung every 10 mins anymore.

I urge anyone that's considering packing it in to please reconsider. If you really love this club, you'll persevere. You deserve to see us winning titles. Your support during the dark ages deserves reward.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we need a match going section on here.

It should be passworded and you should be required to provide your membership/ST number and the general sale should have to ask admin permission to come in. Then we could IMO really get things going again Shed 100 was good but it was too specific. If we could really get numbers, then we could get a match going, crew/army and numbers to push the club on things such as unreserved seating etc.

To late they have won mate its over.

You missed the point spectacularly, mate. May I suggest you go back and read my post and what prompted my response from the OP. It should be fairly obvious. Then, maybe not.

I'll take the 'maybe not' option,mate!

KEF holds the same views on this as I do, rather than being smart why not give us your take?

how can you even try to defend modern football? Modern football is so corrupt and money hungry
I'm certainly not trying to defend it. Like KEF, I'm an 'old school' supporter and agree that the whole industry has gone down the toilet.
The kids thing..... if you can get tickets, to take yourself and couple of kids to a Chelsea home game = £120 per game = £3k+ pa before tax.

I know lots of people that can take one child to games, but do not have the cash to take 2. For the away games..... double the cost. (as an aside..... the reason for ever increasing numbers of kids applying to uni has nothing to do with cost but more to do with the fact that there are no jobs, no appenticeships and tooooo many uni courses)

The people you happen to know is neither here nor there. The fact remains that there are many who can and do afford it.

As for the aside, my point is that going to uni these days costs a fortune, yet more than ever before are going and being financed by their parents to do so.

Arsenal are a different case, they have been succesful over a period longer than us
But are they such a different case? They have won f all for many years and don't look like doing so for a lot longer either. Yet still the fans turn up in droves and pay a fortune to do so.
Newcastle and Norwich, have kept their prices low to ensure their core support continue to attend games.

Are the prices low since the football there is so dire, or has the policy led to the collapse of football at these clubs?

I assume that KEF regards the battle as already lost. I certainly do.

Although laudable, your attitude has an air of King Canute about it. The tide has come in and drenched your feet; it cannot be turned back by an act of will.