Lucas

John Terry

Codger   

Why is Capello a chicken **** manager? I said right from the start these allegations had given him a right headache and that he had to do what he felt best. I think id have done the same as Capello. JT knew Capello was strict on discipline, only has himself to blame.

You seem to find it easy to place yourself in someone's shoes, so what would you do if you were Roman or Ancelotti?

For my money, the only senior players who should even have been considered were Frank Lampard (a potentially terrific England Captain if ever I've seen one and rightly pointed out as exactly this two or three years ago on here by Toby Brown) or his midfield partner Gareth Barry.

Blimey Bert, you've got a good memory!

Why is Capello a chicken **** manager?

Because he's clearly buckled to pressure from above, fueled by the obvious media agenda to cut down Terry. You may think that's just fine (as you obviously do), but I think he lacks balls. And that has nothing to do with whether JT contributed to his own problems, or not. The media has been out to get Terry, and you'd have to be blind not to see and understand that. I guess it depends on who you'd prefer to be making the important decisions regarding this England team - Capello, or the NOTW.

And the very fact that he replaced Terry with that paragon of virtue, Ferdinand, makes his decision even more risible. Rio Ferdinand - banned for avoiding a drug test (I wonder why?), guilty of lashing out in a fit of poor sportsmanship and kicking a female steward at SB, and only recently banned for punching an opponent, which are obviously much more acceptable forms of behaviour than exhibiting poor judgement by screwing an ex-team mate's ex-girlfriend (who, as is patently clear now, is the club 'bike').

No, I don't think that JT has been very bright (on a number of occasions), and yes, I think he's been culpable in making some of the bullets that the media have been so keen on firing at him. The punishment in this case though, simply doesn't fit the 'crime'. And rather than this decision making things easier for Capello, I'd suggest that he's just made things a whole lot harder for himself.

simon   

You seem to find it easy to place yourself in someone's shoes, so what would you do if you were Roman or Ancelotti?

I would have done what Roman and Ancelotti have. Chelsea as a club, board, manager, supporters need to get behind him during this. Bridge is no longer with Chelsea. Ancelotti right from the off said the club/players are fully behind JT, thats all we needed to know.

England is a completely different kettle of fish. Different manager, players from all teams meeting together. Its a different bond and a different responsibility. JT is the sort of character that will still give 110% for England, JT isn't childish as some posters on here to say he would stick up 2 fingers at his nation, JT will know deep down he laid his bed. He will come back stronger from all this. If anything a master stroke from Capello.

Just because JT is no longer captain it doesnt mean we can't get behind our nation and the rest of the Chelsea players playing for England. I was proud our captain was also the national captain but I think the recent allegations was just one too many for Capello to carry on defending his captain. Its understandable.

simon   

Because he's clearly buckled to pressure from above, fueled by the obvious media agenda to cut down Terry. You may think that's just fine (as you obviously do), but I think he lacks balls. And that has nothing to do with whether JT contributed to his own problems, or not. The media has been out to get Terry, and you'd have to be blind not to see and understand that. I guess it depends on who you'd prefer to be making the important decisions regarding this England team - Capello, or the NOTW.

And the very fact that he replaced Terry with that paragon of virtue, Ferdinand, makes his decision even more risible. Rio Ferdinand - banned for avoiding a drug test (I wonder why?), guilty of lashing out in a fit of poor sportsmanship and kicking a female steward at SB, and only recently banned for punching an opponent, which are obviously much more acceptable forms of behaviour than exhibiting poor judgement by screwing an ex-team mate's ex-girlfriend (who, as is patently clear now, is the club 'bike').

No, I don't think that JT has been very bright (on a number of occasions), and yes, I think he's been culpable in making some of the bullets that the media have been so keen on firing at him. The punishment in this case though, simply doesn't fit the 'crime'. And rather than this decision making things easier for Capello, I'd suggest that he's just made things a whole lot harder for himself.

I've not seen Rio or any other member of the England squad jump into bed with any their team mates Ex Mrs (who they have a young child with) as soon as they are out of town. I can't believe some of you dont understand the dynamics of the problem Capello had on his hands.

Capello has a job of settling the squad and the media before the World Cup. JT threatened and did upset that by deciding to have a affair with this woman. JT had a choice, he chose the wrong one. Its pretty simple to see why Capello acted fast on it.

Its simple really.

Retracting the captains armband from JT, based on off field behavioural grounds, donating its duty and honour to the dubious duo of Ferdinand and Gerrard, is hypocritical and makes me sick.

Had it been taken from Terry and given to a player with a clean bill of health (if one can be found from amongst the gamblers, promiscuous and boy racers), would at least have some degree of substance.

But Rio and Gerrard have both had their share of physical confrontation both on and off the pitch, leaving one to assume the message being sent by the F.A. to our impressionable youth is

Its ok to knock out but not knock up

What role models eh?

Edited by davie

simon   

Capello would never make a football decision solely based on media pressure. He has proven that in the past with various players. So may as well end that line of JT defence.

Harvz   

The most sensible and balanced view I've seen among all the knee jerk and angry reaction is on Soccernet. The claim is that Capello has taken the decision in part to help keep Terry away from the fangs of the British media and therefore help keep his performance level on the pitch as high as possible. It makes sense to be honest, but perhaps that's just what Terry has been told to try keep him happier.

xCELERYx   

Capello has a job of settling the squad and the media before the World Cup. JT threatened and did upset that by deciding to have a affair with this woman. JT had a choice, he chose the wrong one. Its pretty simple to see why Capello acted fast on it.

While Capello does have the job of sorting and settling the squad. Is stripping him of the captains armband, giving it to another clown and then most likely giving the impression that Terry will still be involved in the squad. I mean really what does that solve? Terry is still going to be around, he'll still have influence amongst the squad, regardless of his stature.

To me, it was either keep him as captain or if removed, he's removed from the squad completely. Thus you're truly eliminating the issue from the squad and the players.

Not this half arsed method we've seen.

The bigger joke though is Rio taking over. JT will still be 10x the leader on the pitch without the armband, then Rio will ever dream of being. Fact.