Lucas

John Terry

No, I don't think it was - unless I missed something? The NOTW led a rabid campaign, Bridge acted like a complete tosser, and people chose to believe what suited them.

True,as both the Ex and JT denied the story. But again,the media won't rest until they get their man. Guilty or not?

If JT was 'Told' to step down as Captain for the Euro's by the FA and then found 'Not Guilty' in court,would he 'Sue' the FA?

No, I don't think it was - unless I missed something? The NOTW led a rabid campaign, Bridge acted like a complete tosser, and people chose to believe what suited them.

Did he? I thought he came across as relatively dignified- he didn't overtly talk to the press and there's no real reason to suspect that he or anyone connected with him leaked details on the sly. He may not have shaken Terry's hand, but he didn't make a huge deal out of it in the press and I'd cautiously assume that he had good reason not to- after all, only Bridge, Terry and Perroncel had all the facts.

And the Samuel article above is strong, cogent and just about the most sense I've seen written on the adjournment. Does anyone honestly care what Jason Roberts thinks? Useless footballer, worse pundit and a man who has no insider information on how the England camp works or feels about the matter.

England can't just go to an International summer tournament in peace, can they? Almost every time when there is one, you have the English media looking to cause major uproar because someone apparently got himself into a trouble. As if the expectation level of England doesn't get hiked up enough, the English media always look to cause some sort of disharmony to their own national team. As someone rightly said on Twitter yesterday, "The English media does more harm to the national team than opposition teams.". Think the English media really is a laughing stock in the eyes of their counterparts. No wonder England don't win anything these days.

As for the English media calling Terry to step, here's another one from the Independent.

http://www.independe...os-6298132.html

Chrisb   

This is different than the Wayne Bridge-fiasco because that was proven to have actually occurred.

I don't think it was, I believe it is still referred to as "an alledged affair". However media coverage was blatantly on the side of Bridge and imo drove the public into a Terry hating frenzy which ultimately ended with JT losing the England captaincy. The FA must have some knowledge of the evidence and if they're happy to let JT retain the arm band then this whole court case could be theoretically a "show trial" to prevent further racism issues.

Did he? I thought he came across as relatively dignified- he didn't overtly talk to the press and there's no real reason to suspect that he or anyone connected with him leaked details on the sly. He may not have shaken Terry's hand, but he didn't make a huge deal out of it in the press and I'd cautiously assume that he had good reason not to- after all, only Bridge, Terry and Perroncel had all the facts.

Yep, imo he did. That handshake fiasco was nothing more than disgraceful grandstanding, and he knew exactly what he was doing, and the implications for Terry. And then there was the 'Team Bridge' t-shirt business, which he had to be aware of beforehand, and agree to. Dignified? Not in my book.

And the Samuel article above is strong, cogent and just about the most sense I've seen written on the adjournment. Does anyone honestly care what Jason Roberts thinks? Useless footballer, worse pundit and a man who has no insider information on how the England camp works or feels about the matter.

Well I don't, but the media with their clear 'get-Terry-at-all-costs' agenda not only care, they'll shout it from the rooftops. And the public will lap it up. Already we see comments in the press from people who should know better, along the lines of "Innocent until proven guilty of course...but he should stand down"....."Innocent until proven otherwise, but the FA must act". Innocent until proven guilty BUT...but what?

Samuels was quite right to ridicule the lot of them.

bert19   

Pretty much how I viewed it. No evidence, just heresay and gossip - went on a witch hunt after him anyway. Lovely people, the Press.

Did he? I thought he came across as relatively dignified- he didn't overtly talk to the press and there's no real reason to suspect that he or anyone connected with him leaked details on the sly. He may not have shaken Terry's hand, but he didn't make a huge deal out of it In the press and I'd cautiously assume that he had good reason not to- after all, only Bridge, Terry and Perroncel had all the facts.

Personally, I thought Bridge made a huge deal of it. Milked it good and proper.

He also did himself no favours when he decided to celebrate Man City's goals in the manner that he did. In front of a Stamford Bridge crowd that had been more than good to him over the years.

For what it's worth, I've dealt with Jason Roberts personally twice now. Really nice bloke. Don't really agree with his comments regarding this issue, but I got the distinct impression that he's not one with a self-serving agenda.

Shelly   

I forced myself to watch "Dick Menace" doing the paper review on Sky Sports news this morning, where he repeated the ludicrous assertion that just because JT has not been tried yet, it doesn't mean he should carry on as normal, thats why they have people on remand you know...

Really ! The other week he stated that alleged murderers are not allowed to go about their lawful business until after a trial, as they are held on remand so on that basis Terry should step down from the England team.

Shamefully neither of the Sky sports presenters pointed out that Terry's alleged "crime" carries a £2500.00 fine not life imprisonment, so it is hardly fair to suggest that he should be treated like a hardended criminal and should put his life on hold...

JaneB   

What a refreshing and timely piece by the brilliant Martin Samuel. I can imagine that Patrick Collins has worked himself into a real righteous state if he's read it.

Was Harry Redknapp expected to stand down before his ongoing trial? No of course not.

And the fact that JT is England Captain and somehow that makes him a special case is irrelevant.

Either everyone accepts the legal premise of Innocent until Proven Guilty or we might as well all pack up and go home. I don't even know how he's expected to have a fair trial with all that's being written and said.

As with so much these days, this is all about self-righteous grandstanding hypocrisy and what better fall guy than JT?