Lucas

John Terry

And look - he is creating enough trouble enough outside the camp - what would he be like on the inside?

He's always struck me as a bit of a snake, to be honest. Something very unlikeable about the fella... Might just be his idiotic tweeting, and "merked" gigs though.

Oliver Holt exaplined what happened afterthe tournament. The mutiny story had originally come from Capello's assistant Franco Baldini. The players had had an informal team meeting (I.e. talking in a hotel lobby) where they agreed that something needed to be said about the conditions in the England camp. John, as captain, would speak to the manager about it. Capello and Baldini had overheard the events and decided that this was a mutiny of the players. Consequently, they (Capello and Baldini) planned an ambush. Capello instructed Terry to give the press conference the following day. Meanwhile, Baldini pre-briefed the press about Terry being behind a mutiny in the ranks. This is why the first question to Terry in the conference was about a mutiny that they could have had no knowledge of. The press had already been told about it. Essentially, it caught Terry by surprise. Capello later came to realise that the problem had not arisen from Terry but that he was just a nominated representative of the players. Capello has a lot of respect for players who stand up to him and, subsequent to that, Capello always regarded Terry as the real captain of the side. In that light, subsequent events start to fall into place.

Problem with that version was that the overwhelming press relation to JT's conference was positive and the negative twist didn't appear till 24 hours later. Now it may be that Baldini was responsible for giving the press that spin (though I still reckon it was Gerrard), but the press didn't get that message till after the conference.

Certainly Capello was later critical of JT and I reckon that Capello now regrets that and much later realised that JT was his most loyal player not leat loyal. Indeed JT's comments were basically that no one was afraid to speak up to Capello - a direct refutation of everything the press had been writing - that Capello wouldn't listen.

Some of it is hints, some of it assumption - but:

We do know that he is close to the hacks, and we do know they get a lot of texts from key players (and they get nothing form Chelsea players - that much was obvious this winter).

His agent is essentially his employee and speaking his works (as do many "friends of rio"). The agency has about 8 clients of which the second most well known is Anton. Brother Max works for it.

Rio has constantly felt free to say what he likes to whoever he likes - and his public comments already on the JT case were entirely unnecessary.

Rooney is often seen close to JT, G Neville has always talked positively about JT.

He is not captain at Man U despite being very much the senior player.

I was saying a year ago that Capello was never going to pick Ferdinand again.

And look - he is creating enough trouble enough outside the camp - what would he be like on the inside?

Thanks, that does seem to make sense. What is depressing is that when we should be getting behind the side most of the chat is about Rio being omitted. In a press conference yesterday Bernstein was asked five times about Rio not being in the squad, it is a joke, Bobby Moore he is not.......

I pray that JT has a great tournament, at a risk of sounding like Kevin Keegan I would love it if he is England best performer. Sooner or later he will be out of the England setup and only then will the hacks and football public in general realise what a great player he is.

Problem with that version was that the overwhelming press relation to JT's conference was positive and the negative twist didn't appear till 24 hours later. Now it may be that Baldini was responsible for giving the press that spin (though I still reckon it was Gerrard), but the press didn't get that message till after the conference.

Certainly Capello was later critical of JT and I reckon that Capello now regrets that and much later realised that JT was his most loyal player not leat loyal. Indeed JT's comments were basically that no one was afraid to speak up to Capello - a direct refutation of everything the press had been writing - that Capello wouldn't listen.

I think you are right in your general point, ie that the press did what they do and grotesquely misrepresented JTs comments. I think you're being generous however to say that the lies took 24 hours to get going. I watched the conference live on Sky Sports News and the gibberish began as soon as coverage cut back to the studio.

THe thing which irritates me most about the whole situation, is that people keep saying Rio Ferdinand had a better season than John Terry... Like HELL he did. United as a whole had a better season than Chelsea, and John Terry was one of few who came out respectably. If you look at the live match and match review threads, he's been one of the highest rated players of the season by our own fans, and we're certainly not the type to hold back... Look how critical people have been of club legends Cech, Lampard and Drogba!!

Thanks, that does seem to make sense. What is depressing is that when we should be getting behind the side most of the chat is about Rio being omitted. In a press conference yesterday Bernstein was asked five times about Rio not being in the squad, it is a joke, Bobby Moore he is not......

so imagine what it would be like if Ferdinand were in the squad!

Stim   

THe thing which irritates me most about the whole situation, is that people keep saying Rio Ferdinand had a better season than John Terry... Like HELL he did. United as a whole had a better season than Chelsea, and John Terry was one of few who came out respectably. If you look at the live match and match review threads, he's been one of the highest rated players of the season by our own fans, and we're certainly not the type to hold back... Look how critical people have been of club legends Cech, Lampard and Drogba!!

Is second in the prem better than FA cup CL double and 6th in the league?

I think you are right in your general point, ie that the press did what they do and grotesquely misrepresented JTs comments. I think you're being generous however to say that the lies took 24 hours to get going. I watched the conference live on Sky Sports News and the gibberish began as soon as coverage cut back to the studio.

The day after Terry's press conference:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2010/06/is_england_a_united_camp.html

A broadly positive piece, certainly as positive about John Terry as you'll see in the mainstream press.

It didn't last long.

Is second in the prem better than FA cup CL double and 6th in the league?

Let me rephrase that... Performance wise!

We've won more, but we've had a lot of poor performances.

What this saga seems to prove is that it is Rio with the issue and not JT. It also suggests that maybe Rio is the one who causes the issues and would have divided the camp. We all remember his pranks before the World Cup in 2006 and he does act all gangster with his hip hop friends (which is ironic in itself when you consider the racism that still exists in that genre of music!).

Personally, I would have got Rio and JT together, banged their heads together, and reminded them of their purpose in life - play as professional footballers on stupid money for your country, be proud and feel lucky that you do not have a 9-5, and put the country's best interests, not your own, first.

It is widely know that Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham hated each other - or maybe just Cole hated Teddy - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/the-andy-Cole-column-the-real-reason-I've-hated-sheringham-for-15-years-he-refused-to-shake-my-hand-1915658.html - and look what they managed to win at Man Utd!